Scripture Afghan Crochetalong

JulieKay

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiya Heather, welcome!

1) I do believe the pattern book is out of print, so the only places would be an accidental find at a local store or some place online.

I've found a couple of hits for it on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCRIPTURE-AFGHAN-24-PATTERN-STITCHES-INSPIRED-BY-BIBLE_W0QQitemZ8256996801QQcategoryZ11797QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCRIPTURE-AFGHAN-24-PATTERN-STITCHES-BIBLE-BOOK_W0QQitemZ8257731991QQcategoryZ11797QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2) Yes, each block has a reference scripture for it. They are actually in the book.

3) No, where online that the pattern is printable. I'm sure the stitches are not unique to the book so they are probably some place online, as most stitches are nowadays, but specifically regarding this book, no.

I hope you can join us.

Hi Guys !

Just thought I'd drop in and see how things are going over here. It sounds like this afghan has been quite a challenge ! I am very excited to see the finished product once you all get them done. They sure looked like pretty squares, but also pretty challenging !

Don't give up, it'll be worth it once you finish it .

I'll check back in for photos one of these days !

Well I've done squares 1, 2 & 3 so far and hope to start number 4 yet tonight. I am doing both colors of each square right away so that I am not getting confused. Especially since on some I've had to adjust hook size. So far the squares have been easy enough to figure out if I'm alone... no kids in sight... and can slowly mark off what I've done. I'm excited to be doing this CAL but nervous about some of the squares.

Well, I've finished one of each of the pattern squares. Now I have to go back and do them one more time. I was having a bad day yesterday (lets see: I was being stubborn, selfish, petty, etc. etc.) :yell:grumpy :grump My mood even carried over to my crocheting. Block #23, seed, came out to only 7 inches. Remember mine have been averaging 8 inches. I knew I should have frogged this square and added a couple chains to the starting chain but I was too stubborn to do it. Now I have to decide if I want to try to stretch it an inch when blocking or just frog it and do it again. I HATE when I'm like this. :angry

sounds like you need a kick in the stuborn pants (just kiding) I have only 15 sq done due to I ran out of yarn. Then I can tget that color any more so I decided to make it 2 colors instead of teal wraped in black I have a hot pink(very colorful) that matches well so I will be starting up again.

Well I have a total of 7 sq. done so far. I can not figure out the crown one... square number 4 I think. I've frogged it so many times and for some reason I just dont like how it's turning out. It just doesn't seem right so I put it aside and started working on a different one. I'm going to sit down and try to figure it out again tonight.

Well I have a total of 7 sq. done so far. I can not figure out the crown one... square number 4 I think. I've frogged it so many times and for some reason I just dont like how it's turning out. It just doesn't seem right so I put it aside and started working on a different one. I'm going to sit down and try to figure it out again tonight.

I liked the crown. The waves one is throwing me for a loop. I REALLY don't like the slip stitches in it. I'm going to check my stitch books for an alternative.

Your scripture afghan sounds like so much fun. Somebody was gonna send me the pattern but didn't so I guess I'll forget about it for now.

I might just get out my leaflet with the 63 squares and use some of those instead.

Still trying to decide...with lots of other irons in the fire too.... :hook

I to have had problems with a lot of the squares. This afghan is frustrating me but i keep on chugging.My husband has gotten so he doesn't talk to me when i'm working on it LOL.Linda C I got 20 squares done

Has anyone made a button for this Crochet A Long? I've been through the first few pages, but didn't see one.

I'd make one if I had the capability, but this computer does well to log onto the 'net.

I have 3 sisters and 1 sister in law.. and at least 2 or 3 of them would love this afghan. I may have to make it 4 times.. eek. Right now I'm making all the squares in different shades of purple. I'll decide what to mix and match after I get them done. If I have extra.. I'll find something cool to do with them.

I like the idea of writing the scriptures out. I'm thinking of making a Table, identifying the squares and then either putting the whole quoted scripture or just the Book, Chapter and Verse in the correct square. That way the recipient can have it on a seperate sheet of paper to look at. I'm still considering how that will work.

Ok.. I need to get back to my squares.. I found more purple yarn!!! :clap

Thank you Karin, I will look at your notes. I moved on to the leaf square... that one was nice and easy. Now I'm on the star one and just as confused. :think I should have plenty of pattern reading experience by the time this is over. I'm good as long as no one is talking to me. You risk your life if you talk while I'm trying to read and figure them out. :devil

Well ladies, I feel as if I am a snail working on this ghan, lol. Some of the squares take forever, others I can do in 1 tv show. Oh well, I am up to number 12, have done two of each. Originally started this as a Christmas gift for my Mother, but her birthday is coming up.....if I finish it in time, lol. Will try to get more pics soon. Desktop pc is down, so only have the laptop right now, and can't seem to find my A drive. By the way, working on this became a LOT more fun after I got my new Jimbo hook!!:c9

keep hooking,

Rhonda

I'm having trouble with the Angel square (forget the number.. i'm not doing them in order). All of my squares except one have been right at 7 inches. The one other that didn't come out at 7, I redid with a G hook, and bingo it was the right size.

The Angel square I've done twice now, first time it came out at nearly 9 inches.. redid with a G hook and it's right at 8 now.

I guess I'm going to have to find my F hook and crochet tight.

btw.. for the squares that call for a starting chain.. I'm using a hook 2 sizes up to make the starting chain loose enough.

I really like this afghan so far.. even the joining has been fun, which is usually a HUGE turnoff for me.

The F hook worked.

Now I'm working on figuring out a variation of the wave square.. I have issues with the slipstitches...

I almost have one worked out.. I think.

Hi All,

I was trying to decide between this CAL and the 63 More, and since this pattern arrived first, this was my decision. I started #1 today. I am using Caron One Pounders Dk blue, Lt blue, Dk green, Lt green, and white. It should be interesting to see if it takes me as long as the 63 squares did. I know you all are probably way ahead of me, but that's good if I need help!:blush

Archived