Scripture Afghan Crochetalong

JulieKay

Hi All, I just started this CAL this week, have one square done in CARON One Pound, and because I had to use a "G" hook to get a 7" square, it came out all dense and stiff. I have never used this yarn and thought it would be great for this project because it would give great stitch definition. Should I frog, use a larger hook and just count on making them all bigger? I hated that first square pattern stitch, but maybe it was just the yarn. I'm sure I can use the yarn on something else, lol, but I also have yarn for the 63 More Afghan (lt blue Simply Soft) which I could start.

WHat yarns did you all use besides RH, has anyone else used Caron 1 lb. for this project?

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:nworthy Linda :nworthy

Wow, I'm in awe at you!!! Your hook must be wore out, you worked it so hard. I can't wait to see pictures of it. Congratulations.

I've not budged an inch on my afghan, I think I may need the ball bat or something or a good :kick.

allimac, I am using TLC Essentials which is a brand of Red Heart still, and I am getting pretty consistent 8" squares with the H hook. It doesn't matter the size of the block, so long as they are all the same (or nearly so). If you've only done one square, this would be the time to frog it and start over, before you get more done and thn decide you don't like the overall look of it.

I sadly admit I have not worked on mine either!!! Boohoo!!! Ok I am over it now!!! Congrads Linda on finishing We wanna see photos soon!!!

Welcome Alli. Dont frog yet try the next sq the first one will be "stiff" no matter what I think. So give the next one a try and then decide. Your colors sound nice.

I have been busy with the olympics but this is first WIP to be finished when that is over.

Hi Alli,

When I first started this, my first square (honeycomb) was 8 inches.. so I figured they would all be 8. Well, I got #2, 3 & 4 done and they were 7 inches.. so I went back and redid #1 and just held the yarn a bit tighter and it came out at 7 (with an H hook).

Yes, some of the squares are stiffer than others. I've even had to go down to an F hook on the Angel square (and one other.. can't remember which one now).

I've finally finished making all the squares.. now I'm starting to put them together. I really really like this afghan so far.

One question to the others who are further along:

When you're doing the edging.. some of the squares have more than 25 stitches on an edge. Do you make the decreases (to reach 25) on the first edging round or the second edging round? I've been doing it on the first.. but some squares come out looking not quite even. Wondering if maybe they'd look better if I did the adjusting on the second edging round.

Your thoughts?

Hi Alli

Not that I have done this afghan so I'm not exactly an expert on it, but I do think the caron pounder yarn is thicker than others . You may want to try it with a size bigger hook . I think a G would make most patterns too stiff using this yarn .

Just my 2 cents !:) Good luck !

THANKS toCindy, Jimmie Lu, Lisa, and Julie for your tips and encouragement. I did a second square #1 using an H hook and instead of doing the YO draw through 2 lps 5 times, I did 4. It came out perfectly and I like it better. I also did one square #2 and it came out good as well. I think I am going to stick with it for now.

Hi All,

I decided after completing 4 squares that I didn't LOVE my yarn, so I started over last night with some Caron Simply Soft from my stash. It is going to be blues and greens with white for the edging. I figure if I am going to put so much time into it, I should use a yarn I love! I'll let you know if I make any progress during this school vacation week.

Hi All, I am interested if anyone else is just starting out on this afghan. I have completed the first 2 blocks of #1 using Caron Simply Soft and they came out perfectly using an "I" hook. I say that, but I didn't exactly follow the directions that said to pop the bobbles to the right side (even number). I left them to the back and am using the odd number side as my right side. I just couldn't get them to pop to the even side and it didn't look right. I was even wondering if the directions were misprinted. :think Love my yarn, love my colors, I'm just a little slow going as I usually only work on it an hour or so at night. I look so forward to working on it all day, finally get the 4 y-old to bed, and then I am t-i-r-e-d. I love doing projects like this that are easy to take along though in the car. I can crochet while my hubby is in Home Depot to my heart's content! :hook

The crochet olympics had temporarily sidelined me from the scripture afghan. But over the last few days I've started up on this afghan again. What's funny is that I've made every square once and am starting back around again. And I still am making mistaking and having to frog things. I was going to make this afghan for my mom but now I'm thinking I'll give it to my younger daughter's Sunday school teachers. They are husband and wife and have done such a wonderful job teaching each of my daughters. I want to give them some encouragement and recognition of the great job they do. This has kind of gotten me thinking about other people in my life who are a great blessing to me but to whom I don't often show my appreciation for. Maybe the world would be a kinder place if everyone would receive a handmade item once in awhile. Have fun crocheting everyone!:manyheart

Yeah Karin that is a wonderful gift for a sunday school teacher!!! I just did the 250 sq for the olympics I actually have 251 so 51+ are headed your way! Monday possible tuesday! This was soooooo much fun(olympics) So Monday I shall attempt to finish up the last few on this then I have to move on! I will still be the list mom and help with support and all. I have a bunch of sq that need stitched together and Mission work to plan for!

I've spent the last few days redoing 5 blocks. One of them turned out too big (9 inches) and the rest were too small (7 inches). I think I have 6 more blocks to crochet and then I can start the edging and assembling the afghan. I can't wait to see how it looks finished. Happy crocheting everyone! :)

Karin,

That is exactly what I'm doing, lol. I'm getting a little frustrated with it, so I took a break and made my grandson a cowboy hat to go with his cowboy boots! Will try to post pics of my squares when I can.

I have a light sage, almost reminds me of seafoam. I started using it for squares and edging in the bone, but didn't like it. So, now I'm behind since I frogged, lol. I think I have 3 that I have to do over since they came out too small, then I have about 8 or so more squares to go. Whew! Tired already, hehe. :morcoffee

Boy is this CAL quiet!!!! Shhhhh all participants are sleeping

WAKE UP!!!!!

GET YOUR HOOK!!!!

AND REPORT FOR DUTY!!!!

That goes tripple for this slacker!!!!

Seriously ladies a report please????

I am just about ready to start my next one. Just trying to decide what colors to go with NavyBlue/SteelBlue. And I want to use TLC Essentials for this one. I already have the NB/SB (from another project that didn't materialize)..so all I need to do is make a decision and then go buy the yarn.

I'm thinking either Yellow/Golds (Blue & Gold was my HS colors) or maybe some Beige's.. I think I have TLC in Linen already.

Then again, Navy & Pink look good together... decisions decisions.

I'm going to devote this weekend to making & posting pics of projects.. so probably won't get any thing else done.

I am on my last square. :cheer:clap:cheer But here's the problem, I haven't added the edging to any of the squares because I wasn't sure yet what color I was going to use for it. This morning I read through the instructions for the edging and realized I need to crochet around each square in its own colored yarn (do you know what I mean?). I thought the edging was going to be in all one color. Its not really a big deal but now I will have more ends to weave in. YUCK! :angry Besides that everything is going fine.

Archived