Scripture Afghan Crochetalong

JulieKay

Decisions, decisions, decisions. I finished crocheting my first block, the honeycomb one (block #1). It turned out larger than 7 inches, more like 8 inches.:angry I started crocheting block #2, the cross one. To make the pattern come out right I had to do four double crochets in the middle instead of three. But the real problem is that for the first block I used RedHeart SuperSaver yarn and for the second block I'm using TLC Essentials. Well the RedHeart is a thicker yarn than the TLC. I'm thinking that I'd be better off using just TLC in the afghan. But I went to Joann's and their TLC selection was pretty picked through. :( I think it should be a law that if a store carries a varigated yarn they MUST carry other skeins that correspond to the colors in that varigated yarn. Whats a girl to do?? :think

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shaylen you are soooo more than welcome to join!!!!

OK I am gonna sound off because SQ #1 IS TAKING FOREVER!!!!!!!

Its gonna be a beautiful sq just it seems like it is taking me forever to make any progress!!!! Then there is SQ #8 seems teadious!!!! I am hoping that after a trip to AC Moore(husbands sugestion) I will feel more up to working this first sq til done. Plus its an hour and 15 min. drive so lets hope I can work it up in the car.

I was doing the ripple along and I am just to frustrated with it to go any farther. I dont know about the rest of you but I love haveing finished work quickly!!!:cheer

So Check in lets hear what everyone is up to with this CAL!!!:yay

I want to start this afghan as soon as I finish the 35 squares within the next week. The only thing I'm kinda confused about is which colors to use? :think I plan to make this as a gift to my brother and his fiancee`. She likes fall colors, he likes green (I'm going to make him a green ripple afghan, so I'm mostly concerned with this "fall colors" concept). Any ideas? I was thinking tan, some soft greens, and maybe orange? I dunno, I'll figure it out and stop by Michael's to see if they have the pattern book first.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol NOPE!!!! But then again it was dark when we left so I honestly did not get a chance yesterday to do it!!! IT GETS DONE TODAY!!!! OR I will have to get Julie Kay and her baseball bat!!!! lol:eek

I finished square #2 and started and then finished square #3. Let me tell you I had the WORST time getting square #3 to come out right. I was :bang and then I did what any crocheter would do. I put the project down, went to the kitchen, got out a chocolate bar, smeared peanut butter all of it, ate it all, and then went back to my crocheting. Finally, I figured it out. If anyone has trouble with square #3 let me know and I'll tell what I did to figure it out. Most likely, NO ONE will have any trouble with that square. I'll check in tomorrow to see how everyone else is coming along.

So how is every one doing?

ME

Haha I am forever stuck on sq 1 then I hear sq 3 is murder also :eek It may be a year before this one is finished lol Julie get your bat!!!!! lol

Seriously I am trying to finish a few things up so I can pour all my time into this gahn!!! I am half way on the 35 sq finished the sweaters I promised for China and I finished the afgahn for a dear friend in Mexico!

Now, Jimmie -

You agreed to lead the group, so I am officially turning the ballbat over to you for this one ! :tryme

It sounds like these squares are gonna be a real challenge... at least the ones so far , huh ?

Don't give up ladies - you'll be glad you stuck with it when you see the end product !

I finished up square #4 today. It was an easy square to do. :yay I thought that square #1 used up a 1/4 of my skein in making it. I've also been thinking of how to include the scripture verses with the afghan. I think I'm going to make a table on the computer as many squares wide and long as my afghan is and then I'll type the bible book and the verse in the square. At the bottom of the page I'll type out the full scripture verse. Did that make sense to anyone?

Ok Julie Kay however even good leaders need a shove once in a while right???

Now for the happy dance!!! I finished sq 1 and sq 2 I was kinda tired so I didnt even start #3 it does seem like it is worded a little funny but again I was tired.

And you are right that #1 sq had me thinking about the amount of yarn YAOwee it did use alot.

So how is everyone else doing!!

Morning ladies

Still waiting on my pattern to come so thought i would go ahead and get my yarn,i would like to use the colors shown on the cover,can some tell me how much is needed and the colors please.I would like to have it for when the pattern gets here.

Welcome Sis....i told you it was fun!!!

I'm hoping to join in if I can ever find the pattern, lol. So far, my locals are out of stock. I'm watching an auction on ebay.....keep your fingers crossed. I'm thinking of sage, buttercup and another color(haven't decided). I would like to punch it up a bit, I'm thinking a wine color, not sure yet. It would sure help if my local stores had a larger selection, lol. Anyway, will let you know. Have fun!

:clap Jimmie you got some more squares done! #3 is interesting, but I didn't think too hard really. To get mine to the 8" I've been averaging I had to 2 more chains, which means you need one extra on each end... least that's what I did. :P I'm sure you can conquer it, it's only a widdy biddy square.

Sheylen the book calls for worsted weight:

White-260 yards (260 gm/ 9 oz)

Light teal-745 yards (280 gm/ 10 oz)

Teal-890 yards (340 gm/ 12 oz)

Light peach- 965 yards (370 gm/ 13 oz)

Peach-260 yards (260 gm/ 9 oz)

That is if you can get it to a 7" square as the gauge says (w/o edging). So far mine are 8" (w/o edging) and I've also heard a couple others say the same. Which will mean you might need more than the given amounts.

hey shaylen (sis) have you gotten the pattern yet? I to am really looking forward to getting started on this one!! still not sure yet on what colors I will be using. I will have to wait till I see the pattern in front of me! (you know how my brain works LOL) no coment needed from you either!! LOL

How is everyone else doing so far?

how many squares have you done?

Hugs,

sissie

I was going to add a quote from Abraham Lincoln to my signature: "I'm a slow walker, but I never walk back." Well, after doing and frogging all of square #6, I think the quote should be for me: "I'm a slow walker, but I invariably walk back." Its actually all my fault for square #6 needing frogged. So far it was the easiest square to make but I didn't measure the width of the block until I was finished. I didn't think I needed to measure the width as they were all coming out to be about 8 inches. Well, this one turned out to be 9 inches! :eek :eek At first I thought that when I blocked it I could get it back to 8 inches. But one inch is alot to ease in. So I decided to frog it all. This time I only chained 27 instead of 31. Its coming out to a perfect 8 inches now. I hope this helps someone.

Patti Sorry you couldnt join us

And as for the frogged sq 6 thanks for the tip!!!!

I have been feeling not so well so I have not done any. And again I am trying to finish up a few projects so I can be devoted to this!

By Next weekend I sholud be done with some of my obligations!!!

Okay, I hope this works. It was mentioned about a button, so here's my first and only. I may try the other size later, unless someone else wants a wack at it. ;)

scrip_button.jpg

Keep a working on this afghan ladies. :cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer

I am about 8.25% complete (a.k.a. 10 squares complete of my 121 needed)... haha :hook

Archived