Scripture Afghan Crochetalong

JulieKay

Hello Ladies –

Your leader for this group is JimmieLu . She is a wonderful person and a Whiz when it comes to crocheting . She will be here to answer your questions , so if you have anything you need help with , just drop a note on the boards and she will respond to you . I will also be here as a member and to lend her a hand if she needs it .

If anyone is having trouble locating the pattern, drop a note in here and let her know .

(Leisure Arts Leaflet 2770 )

Drop in and tell us about yourself and what colors you are choosing , and welcome to the group!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello fellow crocheters I am really looking forward to this CAL. I have not picked colores but do know I will be taking it to Mexico for the PAstor of the church we work with so I know it will be bright and colorful!!!! I am a homeschool mom of 3 and love crocheting. I am a bit challenged with PCs so if someone wants to do a button just go right ahead!!! So Welcome grab your coffee(tea or soda) hook yarn and your bible and lets do the scripture gahn!!!!:manyheart

Sounds like it would be a beautiful afgan...don't know if I can do the CAL...but I would like the pattern. I tried to find it on LA website and it's not there is it out of print? Is there a place to try to which you can direct me?

This is my first CAL and I can't wait to get started. :yay I'm not sure yet what colors I'll use but it will probably be in pastels. And I'll most likely use Red Heart SuperSaver yarn that way I don't have to worry about dye lots and can buy one skein at a time. I'm a stay at home, homeschooling, crocheting Mom of two little girls. Can't wait to meet anyone else in the CAL. As for designing a button, I have no idea how to do that. I'm sure after one is designed I'll have to be told how to use it.

Hi Jimmie

Ok, I picked out my colors. I am using Caron Perfect Match in Taupe , White and soft peach . Hope it looks good ! I am going to try to start on it tonite. If I can budget my time and work on each thing for a little bit each day, then I'll get it done, just s-l-o-w-l-y ........

:turtle

Ok, after a lot of thinking about this, I have decided to join this CAL as well. When voting I was really torn between this one and the stripes but wanted to do the stripes over this one in the end. However, now that we are doing CAL's for all 3, I will definately have to do this one too! I think it would be a wonderful present for my Grandmother. She's a very strict old Roman Catholic. Church is her life. She walks 2 miles each way to church 2 times a week and she's going to be 85 this year. I don't know how much longer she'll be around, but I think she would love this. (At 85, she's in much better shape than my 67 year old dad!) So Julie and Jimmie, looks like I'm on board as well! God help me! Now to decide what kind of yarn to use... Hmmmm....

Ok I was just going over this pattern and trying to decide to get more yarn or do a scrap gahn. So I am weighing paying more money or using what I have and guess what I decided????

To use what I have!!!! I have a tote and a garbage bag left that was donated for Mexico and so I am going to try and emphasize on try to do 2 of these at one time!!!! lol:lol I notice that when making these you make 2 of each of the 24 sq to get a bigger gahn. So I am toying with the fact that the 35 sq when adding extra to the sq boarder I got a nice twin size gahn and may be able to pull it off???? What do ya all think???? Still not sure!!!

I did (because I couldnt resist) do sq # 7 and it is easy if you did the 35 sq it is very simmilar to the basket weave stitch!!! So with a few more hours left in this year I am off to do..............

You know:hook

Its a sq sampler afgahn It has different stitches for the sq's and a scripture o go along with it. Like for example there is a block called waves and it is backed by a scripture from Matthew about Jesus and the sea. Hope this helps

Okay, I was so excited about starting my first CAL that I put my girls in the car and drove to Joann's. I got there 30 minutes before they closed. I had a hard time deciding but here is what I'm going to use (I think!:think )

TLC Essentials in Island (this is a varigated yarn with white, blue, yellow and green in it)

TLC Essentials in Lt. Celery

Red Heart Supersaver in Cornmeal

Caron one pound in a blue color (I don't know the name of this color. I didn't buy it yet because I want to wait until I have a 40% off coupon).

The nice thing is that I had two 40% of coupons to use and a gift card worth $10. I have a hard time spending much money on yarn. I try to only buy it when I have a coupon.

I hope to start the afghan tomorrow. I'll have to describe my progress because I don't have a digital camera. Even if I did I wouldn't know how to get the pictures from the camera to the computer screen. You all are so high tech, and I feel like I have a Fred Flintstone camera (you know the kind, it has a bird pecking the picture into stone!)

Hi girls,

I'm definately in this cal. The only problem is I'm also in the 35 squares, and I'm going to do the Bobbles and Lace too. Not enough time, and my hands won't hold out long enough..lol. Your colors sound beautiful. Hubby bought me (at Goodwill) 12 skeins of bright tangerine (orange) color a while ago. I want to do something with that. I also have some brown, but I don't think I want brown with it. Maybe yellows and greens with the orange. What do you all think...It will be very bright that's for sure. Or maybe orange, peaches and cream. I just can't decide. Here I am trying to start 3 afghans all at once. I must be mad...

Patty in MI

:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay

Thank you JimmieLu and JulieKay!!!! :manyheart

:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay:yay

I got two gift cards to Hobby Lobby for Christmas, I already had the book and I decided to make an afghan for me, really for me and decided this was it. Although I had a couple of other close choices. I plan to make this big enough for my queen bed, boy am I ambitious. :lol

I've chosen the TLC Essentials in Claret (a burgandy), Navy, Dark Thyme, Dark Plum and for the joining and trim, Linen. I'm so excited to do this!

I have been taking care of my mom after her hip replacement, and have been doing doilies there at her house and so my home project will be this afghan. I've already done square 1, honeycomb, in the plum and almost completed one in the thyme. That's what I'll probably be working on to meet the new year here.:hook

Well I have officially started my first CAL as of 11:30pm last night. I rang in the New Year by crocheting. :yay :yay I cut a Michael's coupon for 50% off out of today's paper. So it looks like I'll be running to Michael's today or tomorrow. Now that I think of it, I'll just take the Michael's coupon to Joann's because I know Joann's has the color yarn I still need for the afghan. I've been thinking that instead of whipstitching my squares together that I would crochet them. I seem to remember a website (called something like Priscilla's crochet, I can't quite remember the whole name :think ) that showed how to join squares by crocheting. Does anyone remember seeing this?? Happy Crocheting in 2006 everyone.

Cindy and Karin - your colors both sound pretty !

Cindy- sounds like you got some good yarn buys !

Patty- I know what you mean. I have joined so many of these crochetalongs--- I think I'm gonna have to scale back and only work on one at a time -- I'm not good at doing more than one thing at a time !

GOOD MORNING!!!!!! Time to get up brush your teeth and comb your hair!! (Hygene is important too) Kiss the hubby (or other) good by and then grab your hook and got to town(only if you need yarn) :lol

I have not gotten any sq done Boo hoo!! I do have sq 7 done because I could not resist. I have decided to make the sq all the same color (teal) and edged in black It looks sooooo cool. Mainly I choose those because well I had them:lol

Julie Kay- If it helps any I have decided to put a hold on the grandmothers flower garden. I am making it as a gift and wont need it until April 2007 ( I think I have a little time) Budgetting time is important and its ok to say there are too many eggs on my plate!!!:think Not sure I know what that means it is a saying around here!!

If you can not tell by my tone and willingness to talk this morning I am in an extreemly good mood. I useually am but this morning I am happier that ever!!!

I am not sure if all of you are ganna attempt this with your gahn or not BUT I am attaching the scripture right to the sq. Since we are taking it to Mexico I have written the scripture in Spanish(this helps me learn the language)

ANYONE-Has anyone designed a button??? Dont look to your fearless leader because I am PC Challenged

Everyone have a fantastic day!!!

Hi Jimmie

Well, not that I'm backing out on you, but I will probably have to put this one and the stripes further down on my list too ! I don't know how you do it, keeping up with so many things at once !

I have to get moving on the flower garden and the L & B , then move on from there .I am just not good at juggling several things at once .

I'll be glad to jump in here often though and keep an eye out for photos ! Can't wait to see some finished squares !

I got one of the number one done, but don't know if I'll use it or not. The square turned out really big, even dropping down a hook size . When I re-start it I may have to go with a thinner yarn !

Have a great day- it's good to hear you're in such a wonderful mood today !:manyheart

Jimmie I think that's an awesome idea to attach the scriptures right to the afghan. If it were a gift I think I'd do that (now that you've thought of it ;) ), but since it is going on my bed, I think that would just be a mess after a couple of nights. :P

I spent quite a bit of time last night trying to figure out about how many I was going to need, the color order, which blocks for which square. I must be :loco. 121 blocks. I am definately :coo.

Julie & Jimmie I've often wondered how of you do so many CALs at once. I'm not so good at :juggle , so I admire that. :nworthy

Julie, I know what you mean about block 1. Mine came out about 8" wide, so I decided my block size was going to be 8" square instead of 7". I truly hate ripping things out! And I figure it'll go further on my blanket for my bed, less blocks over all that way. :hook It was a bit more of a challenge to get block 2 to 8", but it wasn't too far off with the H hook I'm using.

I'll post pictures 1) when I get the dig camera issue figured out 2) when I have time and 3) when I figure out how to post pictures here.

Well I'd best go find something to support my lack of sleep :morcoffee before I start to see :elle.

P.S. I just love all the emoticons, I recognize some of the from mazeguy, he's so awesome. I belong to another forum board and he designed :ghug at our request.

Jimmie, I was thinking the same thing about attaching the scriptures! I just haven't figured out how to do it! Any ideas???

I think for this Ghan I will use the Caron's One Pounders I have left from the 35 Grannies... I will probably add some blues and such but will use up the pinks and white I have as well. I think it would be pretty with lots of colors...

Glad you're in a good mood today! I woke up feeling like crud. I am congested and have a sinus headache. Oh well, it's better than the migraine I had yesterday! LOL

Have a good day everyone!

Block 7 turned out big! Bigger than 7 inches soooo How to fix the prob!!!! Since I am doing all blocks the same color When the sq is sq(hunh) If it needs to be larger I wil do a round of SC then attach the black for a boarder (I did that on the 63 sq and it worked out fine)

Attach scriptures- I am pinning them for now I may switch to this printable material (Wal Mart) and sew it on later or just leave it like that!! :think Still not sure!!!

Archived