Pattern for Cable purse w/ bangle handles

MsSunflwr

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this is a bit late, but I'm almost done with this project, and I just need a little guidance on how to finish it up. I've finished with all the rows necessary (about 5 iterations of rows 2 - 7), but all it says is to "slip stitch" the handles....how exactly do I do that? I still have the yarn connected and haven't finished off anything...where do I go from here?

And have you guys been folding it "hamburger" style or "hot dog" style to get the final purse shape? If I fold it "hamburger" style, only one end is actually open...but I want the purse top to be able to open up a little more (so, in other words, I don't want to sew the sides ALL the way to the top, so I can leave some extra room). How do I get around this, or is this already part of the pattern?

Thanks for your help in advance!

OOH! I have to try this one. I'm making handbags for all of my nieces and sisters for Christmas and this one would be perfect for my baby sister!

• 2 weeks later...

I absolutely love this bag! I definitely think that I am going to make one for myself and my sister and whoever else wants one! Very nice job!

I am almost done with one using Patons SWS wool/soy yarn...I did not double the yarn and I am sorry but the pattern of the stripes looks great. I will post a pic after I buy handles and figure how to attach it...

For the person on the previous post: You fold the bag in half like a hamburger, not a hot dog and finish it off before you attach the handles with slip stitch...then the top is open completely attached to the handles and easy to open...look again at post #1 to see the completed bag...

• 3 weeks later...

I love your bag but for the life of me i can't do it. I spent 2 days of frogging and retrying. I know i must be doing some little thing wrong.I have ben crocheting for about 40 years so i know what i'm doing. just having a brain freeze i guess. lol

:manyheart Love the handbag such a gift :hook and wonderful talent.Your friend is a lucky lady .

Was the bag easy to follow pattern.

Scotkat

I'm in the process of making this purse for a Christmas gift. It will be given to my husband's aunt that will be here for the holidays.

The pattern is pretty easy for me. After I did the first 7 rows, I had it memorized. I have the rectangle about 3/4 of the way finished now.

My question to anyone is......what is the easiest way to line the purse with fabric? I've never done that before, and I really hate hand sewing. Any and all ideas and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am just now printing out this pattern and will make it for a friend's daughter. She likes lime green. :lol

My question to anyone is......what is the easiest way to line the purse with fabric? I've never done that before, and I really hate hand sewing. Any and all ideas and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I have taken my purse, before attaching handles, placed it on top of lining fabric (I use cotton). I cut the fabric about 1/2 wider than the purse. I do sew pockets on one side with a sewing maching, then I sew the sides up to the opening with a sewing machine, but I have to sew the lining in by hand. I just whip stitch around the top edge of the purse and then attach handles. Does that make sense? :think

Thank you for answering my question Michelle. I understood what you said, but now I have another question for you. Once you hand stitch the fabric to the crocheted piece, where do you actually put the thread? Through the back loop of a stitch? That part I'm confused on.

BTW, I live in Florida as well.

Cute, Cute, love it! I just saw one like this knitted and had thought I would love to crochet that. And here it is. Thank you for taking the time to post it.

Archived