Pattern for Cable purse w/ bangle handles

MsSunflwr

I really like that. Thanks so much for sharing your pictures and pattern.

I like your longer version better than those "expensive" ones!

The Hobby Lobby near me has several different types of handles like that, so you might try them if there's one near you (or maybe try their website).

Hope that helps...

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hobby Lobby unfortunately doesn't sell anything on their website :(...

Ok, I honestly do not know how I could have been on here for so long and never have come across this thread? The purse is just beautiful and I cannot wait to make it! The instructions look so simple! Thanks for writing it out for us!!!

Love your bag Donna!! I just made on this week a little narrower in blue, one strand ww, with an I hook. It definitley needs to be lined though! Here it is.

http://flyinghooks.blogspot.com/2006/03/fo-cable-purse.html

I found the pattern at your blog and not here so I didn't know about the 2 strands to make it bulkier etc. Oh well live and learn. I think I'm going to make another one, wider, in another color using 2 strands!

Thanks again for sharing your talent!

I'm trying my first one now in gray, just an I hook and one strand, but so far it's not too hard. Now I'm going to be scouting the fleamarket for plastic bangles.

I frogged it and redid it w/ 2 strands and a K hook, but honestly, I wasn't impressed, but I'm totally sure it was my technique not the pattern. Also, I bought the wrong kind of handles, because I was just in a hurry to finish it, so my handles were the U kind with just a slot on each side to sew, and so it didn't hang right. I ended up frogging that one too, and found the tunisian cable stitch on http://www.bellaonline.org/articles/art4183.asp

I modified the stitch slightly by switching between 4 stitches, not 3, and by doing 3 rows of regular stitch between crossovers, not 2. It made it less bunchy, I thought.

I did a salmon colored one in that stitch with 3 cables across, and it turned out great. A little small, but I'm doing another one now with one more cable to make it wider, and so far in my short crocheting career, this is my favorite stitch! I need to develop my film and post the picture, because it is just too cute.

This is a definite MUST DO!!! OMG, did you see the prices of those that were knitted on that site??? It oughta be a sin. :devil

I totaly agree. I want to make one too!! :)

Oh how pretty. I can't wait to make it but now have to concentrate on all of the UFOs. It's printed and on the top of the pattern pile for future.

This is one I KNOW I'll make. Thanks ever so much for sharing.

Karen

• 3 months later...

I'm so glad I found this pattern post the other day. This is an awesome idea!!!

It inspired me to create a wide, shallow purse with five cables, each cable made over six stitches. I'm using the six-stitch cable method illustrated in this vest pattern: http://www.crochetme.com/Apr_May_2005/patt_vest.html

The purse will be made of Simply Soft in plum wine with a fat pink ribbon.

• 1 month later...

"I used clear handles, wood ones are nearly impossible to find. Next time I think I will make it a bit wider, but this was the specifications that my friend wanted."

Jo-ann's has wooden handles you can find online, which look real perty with earthy collors like beige and dark green, but those clear handles are fun for bright colors! beautiful pattern I love cables!

Archived