Pattern for Cable purse w/ bangle handles

MsSunflwr

A friend of mine saw some (expensive) knit purses online and asked if I could make one for her, only larger. This is my version of this purse

http://www.margaretnicole.com/banglebags/

I used clear handles, wood ones are nearly impossible to find. Next time I think I will make it a bit wider, but this was the specifications that my friend wanted.

1purseribbon.jpg

1purseflower.jpg

WITH A REMOVABLE FLOWER PIN

1pursearm.jpg

I know it has taken me forever to post this pattern. The general cable stitch pattern was taken from a crochet book, so this is verbatim, you are basically doing raised stitches and working through the front posts. You can make as wide as you like by adding more stitches. I hope this helps. I would have liked to have made some tutorial photos, but I am falling so far behind in my Christmas crocheting that I haven't had time. You will make a rectangle, fold it in half and attach it to each hoop with a slip stitch. Turn it inside out and either sl stitch the seams or use a tapestry needle. I don't think it's necessary to line it unless you chose to.

Ch. 48 (multiple of 7 plus 6)

1.Right Side Row. Hdc in third ch from hook and in each remaining ch. Ch.1, turn.

2.And ALL Wrong Side Rows. Sc in each stitch across. Ch.2, turn.

3. *Work hdc in 4 sc, work post dc as follows: yo, insert hook right to left under post of hdc below next sc, draw up loop, (yo and draw through 2 loops) twice to complete dc. Skp sc behind post dc, work hdc in next sc, work post dc in hdc below next sc*, skip sc behind post dc; repeat from * to * across, ending with hdc in last 4 sc. Ch 1, turn.

4.Wrong side row, repeat row 2.

5. *Hdc in 4 sc, skip first post dc, and work post dc on second post dc. Ch. 1, now work post dc around the skipped post dc (crossover made, skip the 3 sc behind crossover *; repeat from *to* across, ending with hdc in last 4 sc.

6.Wrong side row, repeat row 2.

7.* Hdc in 4 sc, work post dc in post dc below next sc (always skip sc behind each post dc), hdc in next sc, post dc in post dc below next sc*. Repeat from * to * ending with hdc in last 4 sc. Ch 1, turn. Repeat Rows 2 through 7 for pattern.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The purse is beautiful. Did you have a pattern, or did you just wing it? If you just winged it, can you say generally what your methodology was? I'm curious because I actually have some wooden bangles taking up space in my jewelry box, and they would be perfect for this.

Great job! :cheer

Jen

The purse is beautiful. Did you have a pattern, or did you just wing it? If you just winged it, can you say generally what your methodology was? I'm curious because I actually have some wooden bangles taking up space in my jewelry box, and they would be perfect for this.

Great job! :cheer

Jen

Pretty easy method. I will be sure to post it here later, I have it written down at home. You just basically make a long rectangle, fold it over, sc the side seams and attach it to the handles.

Archived