Wooden crochet hooks

Nicolapen

I dont have any wooden hooks.  I also avoid plastic.  Most of my hooks are Boye from the 70's and just have the letter system for sizing on them.  I have some of their old steel hooks also.  I have purchased a few other brands and styles and even newer Boye hooks but always go back to my old ones.  I have some of my aunts old small steel hooks and many of them are bent----- I guess from crocheting very tight.

I have the combo bates bamboo that give you the wooden handles and the metal heads.  Sadly the line is starting to be phased out.  I'm looking for new steel thread hooks as I've lost some and they need to be replaced.  I purchased extras of the Bates Bamboo in the standard hook sizes to store for the future because I know over time I'll lose some and they really have been my favorite hooks over the years.

I did break a few wooden hooks when I was learning as I tend to be rough on my hooks.

I have a couple of the larger wood hooks that I like for afghans when I can find them.  I tend to box and put away stuff I don't use on a regular basis and I haven't seen the wood hooks in a while. I liked the way they rolled through my hand.

Edited by Bailey4

I have a nice set “rainbow” wood hooks I bought from knit picks several years ago. I’ve been using them more lately because they are lightweight, non reflective when using a light in the pm. Smallest is an E and k the largest. I added cushions on them and more cozy to use for hours of crocheting. I have Larger wood ? Bamboo hooks I rarely use. Love my Susan Bates with soft cushion on them 

Some years ago DH gave me a 5 piece set of L Brittany wood crochet hooks he found at the local yarn shop. I used them a few times and had difficulty with the yarn not gliding off easily. DH polished all of them with wood polish paste, then they worked fine. I was trying one the other day and have difficulty with them now due to arthritis and cannot find "hook cushions" anymore for comfort. 

I have some really nice wooden hooks and I prefer my Bates hooks.  I on occasion try my pretty wooden ones but it’s just more comfortable for me to use the good ole metal ones. I do like the bamboo handled Bates hooks they are my favorite by far. 

I like the feel of wood in my hand but hooking yarn or thread proves to be a bit difficult.  I tend to crochet fast so I like a hook that allows the yarn to "flow" across the head.  I've tried micro sanding and even using paste wax yet often the yarn simply slows down on a wooden hook.....at least for me.  Most of my hook collection is either Bates or Boye.  I do have a rather extensive cache of old steel hooks from Germany, England and Japan that I used for intricate thread work.   However, especially with yarn of all kinds, I always end up going back to my standard Boye/Bates hooks, they are like old friends.  Barbara

OK.  Here I go (again).  I know I've said this all before. 

The Bates bamboo handled hook is fine for those using the knife hold.  For those of us who have no ability to learn this (we are knows  as pencil holders), the placement of the wood part is all wrong.  It is too high up the shaft.  

I was lucky to discover the Addi bamboo hooks.  Some have no handle as such, it's just wood from top to bottom so all you have to do is slide a rubber (plastic) pencil-gripping thingy on.  You can get them at the stationery store.  If the shaft is too thin for one of those, you put a few rounds of white tape on first.  My Addi 4.50mm & 5.00mm bamboo-only are in that category. 

Other Addis of all sizes do have a nice wooden handle placed ergonomically so that both pencil- and knife-holders can use them.  I own a few of those and like them a lot. 

There ya go.  I love reading everyone's comments on hooks! 

Re the Boye hook mentioned by commenter BGS.  I  have one (5.5; grey plastic) and it has the weirdest business-end I have ever seen.  The shaft narrows suddenly into a really thin part before the head itself. Not a gradual sloping as in other hooks.  I am surprised it hasn't shapped off yet.  

• Like 1

I only have one plastic hook size N and it came in a kit.  Dont know who made it as its not marked.  I only used it working the kit project.  After that I purchased aluminum Boye in the large sizes.

Edited by bgs

I do not use wooden hooks. I really HATE plastic hooks because after a while they do not want to glide. I almost damaged my hand for good crocheting Amigurumi (very tight) with all those cheap metal hooks (NO cushions on handles). I was crocheting my Amigurumi in pain :(.

Until about 5 years ago I bought a SET of CLOVER hooks and another SET of AMORE hooks. Since I bought those hooks with those "special" handles I could crochet my Amigurumi with NO PAIN at all. They are great!, glide very easy :).

Krys

I have used pencil or pen grips that I found in the office supply for larger aluminum hooks

I have the same issues with my hands and use wood because its light and the weight of aluminum causes me problems at times

I also use plastic if its not a tight stitch and gauge doesn't matter

Edited by pineapplequeen
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/14/2021 at 1:20 PM, Horsy said:

The Bates bamboo handled hook is fine for those using the knife hold.  For those of us who have no ability to learn this (we are knows  as pencil holders), the placement of the wood part is all wrong.  It is too high up the shaft.  

I

I hate to disagree with you, but I LOVE the bamboo handles hooks.  They are great for the steele hooks.  I also am trying to find them, but they are no where to be found.  I crochet with the pencil hold and have no trouble with these hooks.  I am sorry I did not buy more when they were available, expecially the size 7 steele hook.

• Like 1

Mary Jo: Did you check Amazon.com? I saw several on there the other day when looking for something else.

Ebay has them also. And Yarnspirations (don't know what shipping is like though).

So does Walmart.com.  Hope these help. 😉

20 hours ago, ReniC said:

Mary Jo: Did you check Amazon.com? I saw several on there the other day when looking for something else.

Ebay has them also. And Yarnspirations (don't know what shipping is like though).

So does Walmart.com.  Hope these help. 😉

Actually I am looking for the steele hooks.  The ones for thread.  I have seen the ones on Amazon, Ebay and Yarnspirations.  If they do have the steele, it is a flat handle.  Susan Bates use to make a round one for the thread hooks.

Thanks for the info anyway.

2 hours ago, Tampa Doll said:

Actually I am looking for the steele hooks.  The ones for thread.  I have seen the ones on Amazon, Ebay and Yarnspirations.  If they do have the steele, it is a flat handle.  Susan Bates use to make a round one for the thread hooks. Thanks for the info anyway.

Ohhhh. I never did find any steel hooks back when these first came out. My DH made wood handles on the steels that I used the most. I have the Clover Amour steel hook set and I love them. Although, I haven't worked on thread crochet in a couple of years. I know I have a WIP thread doily that needs my attention. It seems like I'm always working on something else.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2021 at 6:35 PM, Tampa Doll said:

I hate to disagree with you, but I LOVE the bamboo handles hooks.  They are great for the steele hooks.  I also am trying to find them, but they are no where to be found.  I crochet with the pencil hold and have no trouble with these hooks.  I am sorry I did not buy more when they were available, expecially the size 7 steele hook.

That's okay!  I am glad to hear that the bamboo handled hook is working for you, with your pencil hold.  Maybe there are different varieties of pencil-holding style; indeed, I am sure that there are. 

It is so disappointing when you find a great hook, then later it is nowhere to be found.   I don't always like the hook shafts or handles, so I've resorted to creating ones from clay and am pleased as punch with these.  I've done this with my Clover hook, which has a flat handle.  They sure weren't thinking about me when they created this - but the business end is v. nice.  Can't have everything, can we...   

Hobby Lobby has the round Bamboo/metal combo but I find the hooks are different from the Bates I'm used to.  I'd have to find the ones I bought to look but I suspect they are likely closer to Boye than Bates.  They also don't carry the steelite or I'd have bought a complete set of the steelites regardless.

11 hours ago, Bailey4 said:

Hobby Lobby has the round Bamboo/metal combo but I find the hooks are different from the Bates I'm used to.  I'd have to find the ones I bought to look but I suspect they are likely closer to Boye than Bates.  They also don't carry the steelite or I'd have bought a complete set of the steelites regardless.

What are the steelite?  I just bought this Amazon.com: Deflecto Rotating Carousel Craft Organizer, 9-Canister, Includes 3" and 6" Canisters, Removable, Clear, Lids: Office Products  and it sits next to my chair.  I have everything at my finger tips.  I also have a place to put my hooks, before I lose them

Still have not found the skein of warm brown that I bought.  The bugger is either hiding, or I tossed it by mistake.:sigh

When I was searching for the steel thread hooks I found they were called steelite in the listing and I found more of them searching that way.  Don't know if it is a real thing or not but it is out there.

That container is awesome.  I love the individual sections for all those tiny items I'm always knocking around!!

Edited by Bailey4