Boxing Day 2020 CAL Share any charity work!

babypoohsmom

Bailey...how did you figure out how to get through life without sleeping. Or....how did you learn to crochet in your sleep? Either way, that is info that needs to be shared. I finally got a picture of my doll wearing the last dress I made. I figure that I better get them in the mail to you before I lose them.

The green bodice that didn't match the veriagated yarn is resting, waiting to see if a match pops up. 

Darski, I'm not sure how you arrived at a heart shape by starting with a pop bottle, but that is amazing. As far as the wreath goes....yarn out is yarn out. I never joined the destash group because I work full time and shop much faster than I crochet, so that would be all kinds of no fair for me!

image.thumb.jpeg.5e35f1cd692e2600150b77cd41011ef2.jpeg

Edited by babypoohsmom
  • Like 1

making the heart shape is so easy  you cut out the piece of the bottle you want.  I did make mine a bit taller than most.  You then smash it flat and really set the creases.  then just poke one side inside - so to speak- and you get your heart shape.  I then used binder clips for 24 hrs to set the shape.

circ01.jpg.cf152b4b8c04ddcdb131fa9462aa6991.jpgcirc02.jpg.93b642de0892e831f28545c64b83c523.jpgcirc03.jpg.cb368efc3848ce1919cf3b193dd98eea.jpg

Darksi, I get the idea part, but not the easy part. Good thing we all have different talents!! What is the next trick up your sleeve?

And someone else is probaby going to have to explain what a blog tour is.  Who is trying to "pull the wool" over my head? Inquiring minds want to know.  

Love that the dress and hat come with a proper coat. That is darling! 

Ok, I think I got the blog tour idea. So do people apply to have their blogs promoted by the Ville? I don't have a blog (obviously) but I have followed a few in the past. Usually I forget to check them regularly.  Yours is probably the one I see most often because you post right here! 

I finished another dress tonight but the ends are not tucked in so I didn't take a picture yet. 

It is not an outside group.  Donna is doing it on the Crochetville Blog like Amy used to  do in years past.  Donna is writing about /interviewing the designer, showing pictures of their work, providing links to their blogs, fb page, Ravelry, etsy, etc.  Sometimes they give you instructions on how to receive a free pattern.  

Some people were notified about it thru fb.  I am not on fb.  One person after searching said there is a notice on forum homepage but she had to search for it.  She also verified for me the announcement does not show at all on mobile which is what I use.  I was alerted thru an email from a designer that participated in the past and will be featured in a few days.

Edited by bgs

2 hours ago, Bailey4 said:

My mistake. I didn't realize Crochetville was sponsoring it. 

I was hoping they would start doing things again but sort of gave up hope.  I know these are lots of work.  What I hated was I would not have known had it not been for that email because there was no mention of it on the forum especially on mobile.  

1 hour ago, bgs said:

I was hoping they would start doing things again but sort of gave up hope.  I know these are lots of work.  What I hated was I would not have known had it not been for that email because there was no mention of it on the forum especially on mobile.  

I'm probably not one to comment on this as I have been away for a bit but I had the feeling (before I left) that the Ville is on cruise control.  Now I quit fb so I also lost track of the effort there.

15 minutes ago, darski said:

I'm probably not one to comment on this as I have been away for a bit but I had the feeling (before I left) that the Ville is on cruise control.  Now I quit fb so I also lost track of the effort there.

We all shared that feeling but Donna reappeared last summer , was regularly posting for a bit and seemed genuinely interested in reviving things.  Then she got quiet again so I thought the revival plans fell through.   Thats why I was tickled to see she put together the blog tour.  Gives me hope.

You guys are obviously a lot more Ville savvy than I am. The last time I noticed anything had changed here was when they took it down for a few days, made it so I can't find emojis, changed how photos were loaded and sent me into a tailspin because I had to log back in and had no idea what my password was.  But I'm sure if I had more time, I'd know more. 

Bailey, I just tried to comment on your blog, but apparently I need a google password, which I don't have. I was going to say that I like the details you put in the posts. They often times make me look again at the picture.

Also, last night I was wondering if I should stop with that one dress pattern and find something else so that the dolls have different outfits instead of the same dress in different colors. I need to go back a few years and look at the post when you described the Aztec program in detail. Do they sell some of the outfits separately and then donate one doll with the clothes to the kids? I know there was something about salesmanship and retail in the lesson, but my memory is dodgy.  (I actually had someone at work ask me if she could buy one of my dresses for her daughter, and that triggered the thought)

Hope everyone esle is doing well. It's been in the 80's here the past two days and I hate it because that means 100+ is not far behind. I truly live in the wrong place....

• Like 1

All the stuff goes out to the children none of it gets sold.  The business skills involve setting up the database of the requests from the kids and then matching the donations to the needs.  They also have to get the donations to meet the requests.  They work with a program that is part of a bigger program.  My understanding from several years ago is that if they get more donations than they need they go to other kids in other programs that don't have access to as many donors for their holiday drive.  I don't think they generally have that problem.  I just asked once what happened and that is what I was told.

Generally the outfits get spread out over donated dolls.  For instance last year a teacher donated a Baby Alive doll the day before I showed up the teacher was concerned there were no clothes or accessories to go with the doll.  She was told not to worry because they knew they'd be blankets from all of you and they spread the outfits donated across the number of dolls donated.  I believe they do the same thing with the 18" dolls.

As for the patterns I suggest do what makes you feel good.  My experience with kids is that even outfits that are different colors, textures, etc. but similar patterns are welcome.  When I first started making Barbie stuff years ago for my niece she was thrilled that she could change her dolls' clothes even though do to my very limited skills at the time most of the outfits were variations on a very limited theme.  To her they were still Barbie getting changed.  It was better than Barbie having no clothes other than the outfit she came in to wear all the time. 

Well, that's a lesson in how good my memory has become. I really thought there was a retail aspect. I am going to look for other patterns to try. I know Darski has a whole library! I remember looking at a skirt and shirt a long time ago. Meanwhile, here is dress #4...

image.jpeg

I have been going thru all my yarnie stuff to donate it.   amazing what you find when you start looking.

I do have some doll clothes sitting around that I finished but didn't get the patterns written - still hoping to get a couple of those done- I'm going to get them all together and send them to you.  it just takes me a long time to do anything that involves stooping.  

this is not really on topic but it is what I have been doing lately.  I want to get my crafting bits in order to make projects easier.

I like things to be useful and even pretty if I can manage it.  the bits with napkin holders and Paper towel holders I got from You Tube.

paint.jpg.5ee16e798a5f4298fce6f3509cf237b8.jpgbins.jpg.357393f4f9cd5f28faebff8f3ad59a64.jpg

box01.jpg.b49a40c6c643a598daac50d896535d38.jpgbox03.jpg.0eadd3f6ad2c76d05d345315fe352e1b.jpg

box04.jpg.be937e90bc8459b996b2410d3ae8c3d6.jpg

• Like 1

Darski, can you look at a finished item and remember the pattern? I suppose you can given all of the things you have designed and crocheted.  The napkin holder/paint holder is pretty clever. I actually saw Eileen's tacky glue at the dollar tree recently so I picked up a bottle. Good thing I did because mine was completely shot. The new bottle is a lot smaller but I am fine with that because I don't think I have ever used up a bottle, and hate to waste.