Boxing Day 2020 CAL Share any charity work!

babypoohsmom

Hi Mona, glad to see that you are out there! I think it's been a while since you said hi! You were the one who saved me last year when I needed some yarn to finish a C2C. I loved that blanket. Can't thank you enough for digging into your stash for what I needed. I bought an embarrassing amount of yarn last June when they had their clearance at Hobby Lobby.  I should probably keep my eyes open in case someone needs something I have! I actually wrote down what I put in those totes. 

Anyway to Bailey, I like the different textures in that yellow dress. I tried another two tone Darski Dress and it is an unmitigated disaster based on the yarns I chose. I'll try to post that tomorrow night. I want to get a photo (and some feedback) before I tear it out.

And to Darski, I had a total flashback to my childhood when I saw the puppy. My great aunt (grandma's sister) used to make the most amazing dogs and cats from yarn. She once taught me how to make an octopus (I assume because it was easy) I made them for everyone I knew, including a nine-legged one for our mailman that was on the dashboard of his mail truck until the day he retired. I wish my mom was here to tell me what he named it because I don't remember.

She also crocheted me the most intricate clothes for a Betsy Ross "diorama" I had to make in 3rd grade. My obsession with sewing was well in my brain at that point but found that sewing Barbie clothes was very hard! So she made the outfit for my Barbie and I am on a mission to find it. I am quite sure I never let go of it because it was pretty much the only tangible item I had left from her. 

The yarn animals/creatures were quite a thing in the 70's for a while.  My older sisters made tons of them.  I still have a couple of doll ornaments they made that I inherited when my mom gave me all her tree ornaments when she downsized to a small tree.  I hadn't seen any in years until Darski posted that dog.  I remember we had quite a collection for a while.  It's one of the reasons I like making Christmas ornaments for kids along with the regular toys.  Most of the time they long out last the toys they play with on the tree.  I know having saved my Mom's ornaments I have quite a few that have lasted an amazing number of years that had they been just traditional projects sadly would have been long tossed.  With 8 kids there wasn't much room for saving kids' creations but Christmas ornaments got packed up and rarely thinned unless they were broken.

I've been using baby doll blankets as my travel/appointment projects this year.  They also are attacking my old yarn stash.  Sadly after thinking I was done with this yarn and finishing it off with the white more purple was discovered.  It never ends.

Post Stitch Baby Doll Afghan

• Like 1

Denise, I have so much yarn, it was nice to have what you needed. I've been mostly keeping up with the thread, just seems like the merry go round never slows down here.

Someone mentioned operation gratitude recently and I looked it up. I have some vannas choice yarn that I bought on clearance several years ago and haven't used much of, in particular some black. Don't know what I thought I would do with that much black. So I've started making some scarves. They're nice travel projects for DH's Dr apts.

• Like 1

Lol, so Bailey has reproducing purple yarn and Mona has a black hole! Operation Gratitude has a reputation of being a great organization. The homeless Veterans shelter here in Phx asks for dark colored hats. They say the (mostly) men like them the best, so I always find myself buying black, grey, dark blue, and camo. 

Here is my hot mess. Not sure what I was thinking when I thought the greens matched. They are both Red Heart. This is about to get frogged back to the waist. Not sure if I will do the bottom in red to make it Christmas-y or what. Plain green would be too boring. 

image.thumb.jpeg.1a4423fa6b2cc3dbe496437bf4a1ef9e.jpeg

oh Darski,thats the cutest thing.

its been hard to work with yarn with it being 74 degrees,no problem its getting back to it this weekend we are dipping back into the 30's,its a wonder we all aren't sick with the temps fluctuating so drastically

for three weeks now we have been doing hats and scarves for pantry Tuesday,Rene' has made 7 hats so far today,I have 3 scarves in progress,2 that I call scrappy scarves,I try and get like colors together and maybe some varigated thrown in too,the other is black red,green, and yellow for Black history month they must like them the co-ordinator says they are gone in ten minutes time from when they were set out

So yesterday, I was working the adoption event for my rescue at a Petsmart that is next door to a Goodwill. I went in and saw a bag with three small skeins of Red Heart (very old) and two small balls of a goldish brown. The bag was 4.49, and I picked it up because it was 50% off day and I thought it might match some of my recently gifted Homespun.  So now that cats are going to get a color coordinated mat instead of a scrappy mat. I'll use two strands of Homespun and one of the RH. They blend pretty nicely.

image.thumb.jpeg.716047337317061c93ff8738331e6d44.jpeg

I only used to make shoes for the 18 inch dolls because I couldn't get anything to fit the oddly shaped feet of the baby dolls.  Then I started a project for a big sister doll for a cousin's daughter who was about to have a baby sister and wasn't all that thrilled at the prospect.  I pulled out some patterns I hadn't made before and stumbled across one of Darski's patterns and for the first time I had shoes that fit these little feet.  They are easy enough to make and they don't fall off so now the babies have shoes.  :cheer

Edited by Bailey4

I was thinking the same things about the shoes. I'm not good with small pieces because I crochet so tightly. I wind up with a big lump when I try to do small things. Amigarumi is out of the question. I think I have mentioned this before but my first baby hat fit a can of corn. I have loosened up since then, but not enough! 

Darski's patterns just keep on giving. I don't particularly like the song, but for some reason I keep hearing "shoe the children with no shoes on their feet" from Fly Like an Eagle. Never liked the Steve Miller band. 

You really are on a roll Baliey!  I like that you are set on using up that purple, and I agree with you on that variegated colorway, it's super fun.

I finished my first color matched cat mat. It is currently tumbling around in the dryer. I will post a picture in the next day or two.

I love that you are on a mission to get the baby dolls done first Bailey. Then you can have "fun" with the 18" girls. I found two more veriagetd yarns I'd like to try to make with the Darski Dress pattern, but I currently have three blankets, a waffle stitch scarf, and a dishcloth in the works. (And that is not counting things stashed in bags that I don't remember starting). I wish I had some kind of plan for the year, but I get serious "shiney object syndrome" when I match a yarn with a pattern in my head and want to start it right away.  Does anyone else do this??

Doll Diaper Bag Items

The doll diaper bag items are done for the year!!  Still have to figure out what I'm going to do for the bags but that's for another day.

My F hook wandered off mysteriously so I'm hoping to hit Hobby Lobby tomorrow as they carry the metal hooks with the bamboo handles.  It's so nice not to have to order them online.  They have their own brand but so far I haven't had a problem with them and the Bates Bamboo are becoming harder to find locally.

Go Chris Go!  :cheer

Denise I do a lot of thinking and dreaming about projects before they happen. Still have lots of boxes to sort thru and thin out but I  think we have (dare I say) all (because there is bound to be something we forgot) moving/change of address type things taken care of.  FINALLY finding time for me to try out the pool.  Dh got scooped up immediately for bowling league, practices with dulcimer group here, attends one of the classes, plays cards, and when its nice hits a few golf balls.   Had a great time at Super Bowl party they had here and it was even better that our guys won.  Mardi gras dinner next Tues.  Wed a group called Victory Belles are performing here. Last  Tues evening our favorite place to eat was open for pop up dinner and live entertainment.  I also learned my  time spent working on prayer shawls for the chaplains to hand out to residents from here counts as volunteer hours.  Then  heard there is a special dinner coming up for volunteers.  Meeting lots of people and trying to learn so many names.  I did shuffle boxes in my closet and finally moved my doll clothes patterns so I can get to them.  So far only working on mini stockings.  That's about all the attention span I can muster.

Edited by bgs

Wow Brenda, moving can be a painful, stressful, experience, but it looks like you have landed in the right place. I wish I could get my husband to go bowling or pottery making or ANYTHING a few nights a week so I can have the house to myself. He's retired and doesn't understand how I feel suffocated that he is home all of the time. After working 10 hours, I'd like to come home to just the cats and no politics on the tv! 

Sigh....anyway it's late so I gave up on a "nice" picture of my "nice" cat mat, but here is Panda doing a quality test on it...

image.jpeg

Edited by babypoohsmom

Denise, Panda is adorable! Great mats, too.

I'm lucky that DH has a shop in the backyard where he piddles around with projects and visits with friends. We would both be bonkers if he was in the house all day!! I usually wake up earlier than he does and really enjoy that quiet time too.

Chris, you're making great progress on your projects! I'm in awe of all the little things you do and so much detail. I'll gladly do ten blankets to not have to make little things that have to be put together.