Boxing Day 2020 CAL Share any charity work!

babypoohsmom

8 hours ago, howieann said:

I appreciate the offer, but they are only doing adults for this project. They are also keeping everything very neutral so that they don't have to do separate men's and women's backpacks.

yes, I thought that may be the case.  I like that idea.

Holly, I was asking for the same reason. I thought I could send over the 3 tan hats I just posted. 

And Darski, I googled "Redeemed Goods" in Canada and all I found was a store that was closed in Welland. I'm not sure where you live, but I hope that isn't your store! 

24 minutes ago, babypoohsmom said:

Holly, I was asking for the same reason. I thought I could send over the 3 tan hats I just posted. 

And Darski, I googled "Redeemed Goods" in Canada and all I found was a store that was closed in Welland. I'm not sure where you live, but I hope that isn't your store! 

You are correct.  I heard nothing of this.  I just donated a ton of houseplants and they gave me coupon.  I liked this store and it was Christian based.  

Oh well. I can always try the Humane society to see if they still have a store :(

Aw that's too bad Darski, it looked like a nice store from the pictures. I hope you find a new place for your projects!  I like the idea of the upscale thrift shop. There are a few here in the metro Phoenix area. There is one not too far from my house, but I don't get there too often. It supports a hospice I think. 

I just saw over the weekend the call for various projects to help out the wildlife rescue in Australia. I printed out two sewing patterns I thought I could manage, but by last night I saw a post that said to hold back while they figure out what they still need. I saw that a few US based places sent their stock of crochet birds nests like Lyn makes, so maybe they will need backfill soon. 

Edited by babypoohsmom

Darski I'm sorry about your store.  It's always frustrating when you find a place you love and it disappears.

The devastation in Australia is heart breaking for human and animals.  There are so many unique animal species there the damage is truly hard to imagine.

On a lighter note this was the last item I managed to get into last year's doll donation.

Summer Fun

• Like 1

So a lovely Ville member noticed that I like having at least one strand of the three I use held together to make a cat mat to be Homespun yarn because it makes the mat that much softer to start. She contacted me to say she had some spare skeins from a project she doesn't participate in anymore, so she sent them to me.

I need to check with her to see if the donation was meant to by anonymous, but the yarn she gifted me was amazing. I picked through and found some partial skeins to get this mat done. But most of the skeins are beautiful full skeins that I just can't stop thinking are " too good" for simple scrap mats for the cats.

Meanwhile, I tried a few shawls. I apparently just stink at shawls, mine curled up. I was able to start a simple granny's square afghan with one skein and I started a C2C with another skein.  But I'd like to get back to the cats...I guess they deserve cute matched mats, so I will try to match two skeins of Homespun with just one worsted (so I can see the stitches) to see if I can make a pretty match.

For now, here is my most recent FO.

image.jpeg

@ Denise.  i love the colourful cat mat.  I think that furbabies in care have a special need for lovely stuff.

I am at a loss as to where to send my crafts.  I'm wondering if I can sell them somewhere and donate the money to a ministry here.

Goodwill just has a dodgy name around here for their attitude and high prices.

good morning

Darski, I hear you about the high prices,the meaning of thrift has been lost.

They used to sell their paperback books  5/1.00,someone else took over and decided they should be half of the cover price,time after time the same books sit there,no one is going to pay that price.

the only other place I was thinking was a hospital gift shop,do you have farmer's markets up that way?

next Saturday I will be meeting with a local re-habber at a wildlife expo,to drop off some nests,I connected with her through facebook,she said she will gladly take them,she'll distribute locally,then state,and then on to NY or MS. Its an hour away out in the toolies,or boonies,going toward the NC state line.

I think I have about 40,last time I counted.

Haven't done any hats this week for pantry Tuesday,have a bit of time,they are due 1/28

2 hours ago, pineknott said:

good morning

Darski, I hear you about the high prices,the meaning of thrift has been lost.

They used to sell their paperback books  5/1.00,someone else took over and decided they should be half of the cover price,time after time the same books sit there,no one is going to pay that price.

the only other place I was thinking was a hospital gift shop,do you have farmer's markets up that way?

I never thought of the hospital gift shop... will have to check them out.  TY.

17 minutes ago, bgs said:

I turned in a prayer shawl this morning.

I love the look of that.  The way the yarn played out is so pretty. 

I so loved making shawls.  "Shawl we Crochet" was my fave CAL I think.  got so many pretty patterns found that year.

15 minutes ago, darski said:

I love the look of that.  The way the yarn played out is so pretty. 

I so loved making shawls.  "Shawl we Crochet" was my fave CAL I think.  got so many pretty patterns found that year.

Thank you darski.  You were my inspiration to branch out into making shawls.  I needed to make one last year for a friend and fell in love with your green with envy pattern.  You were also my inspiration to branch out into doll clothes last year.  I am so glad you are here with us.

Darski...here in the Phoenix area there are a few high end thrift shops. There are 3 that are operated by animal shelters and one that is operated by a non-profit hospice that I know about. Maybe you could find a place like that. A few years ago, Goodwill stores started popping up everywhere here. I can get to 6 within 10 minutes. They do have their purpose, but I have noticed that their prices have been a bit high. I one saw a "$5 Old Navy Tee" for $3.99. That just seemed silly. They also seem to vary greatly. I've seen a bag with two skeins of yarn go from $1.99 to $4.99.  I hope you find a place that suits you.

And speaking of Darski...I have tried her Little Flamenco Dress again. I could not pass up some new yarn at Joanns on Sunday. It's sparkly and I thought it would make a fun dress. I need to make a little flower or find a cute button for the front. I'm kind of addicted to the pattern now that I have it figured out.  I'm already looking around my room for another color to try.

image.thumb.jpeg.b56bb6868281771495a1a41045499961.jpeg

Edited by babypoohsmom
  • Like 1

So strange, my iPad doesn't seem to want to show me new posts unless I make one. I posted my doll dress and *poof* I saw Brenda's shawl.  I'm glad you are settled into your new place and making new friends. 

And I have to say that like you Brenda, I have tried new things because of the amazing people in this CAL. I have not always succeeded, but I have tried!! 

16 hours ago, bgs said:

Thank you darski.  You were my inspiration to branch out into making shawls.  I needed to make one last year for a friend and fell in love with your green with envy pattern.  You were also my inspiration to branch out into doll clothes last year.  I am so glad you are here with us.

You are too kind.  :hug

Denise beautiful dress.  I have tried a thing or two that didnt work but at least we tried.  I have yet to master those bird nests that Lyn makes.  I can work with two strands but when I add that third one I invariably miss getting all three pulled through.  

Darski you are the reason I am here.  One of your doll clothes patterns led me here. 

Chris another cute baby doll outfit.  I always look forward to seeing your projects.

14 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Darski...here in the Phoenix area there are a few high end thrift shops. There are 3 that are operated by animal shelters and one that is operated by a non-profit hospice that I know about. Maybe you could find a place like that. A few years ago, Goodwill stores started popping up everywhere here. I can get to 6 within 10 minutes. They do have their purpose, but I have noticed that their prices have been a bit high. I one saw a "$5 Old Navy Tee" for $3.99. That just seemed silly. They also seem to vary greatly. I've seen a bag with two skeins of yarn go from $1.99 to $4.99.  I hope you find a place that suits you.

And speaking of Darski...I have tried her Little Flamenco Dress again. I could not pass up some new yarn at Joanns on Sunday. It's sparkly and I thought it would make a fun dress. I need to make a little flower or find a cute button for the front. I'm kind of addicted to the pattern now that I have it figured out.  I'm already looking around my room for another color to try.

image.thumb.jpeg.b56bb6868281771495a1a41045499961.jpeg

Love the sparkly yarn with it.  It's adorable.

4 hours ago, Bailey4 said:

Doll Carrier

The first one is done for the year!!!  It will be a little while before I attack number 2 as these are nasty to my hands, but it will get done.

Nice job.  I just cant seem to master 3 strands and crocheting tight.  Have you thought about using 2 or 3 different colors of yarn instead of having to come up with 3 skeins same color?  I have liked the effect when I use 2 strands with different colors.