Boxing Day 2020 CAL Share any charity work!

babypoohsmom

Hello all,

Here we are, 2020!  A lovely member of the ville started a Boxing Day CAL many years ago and it has been passed along to a few moderators, but I will do my best to explain Boxing Day.

Boxing Day is a holiday that is celebrated on Dec 26th in the British Empire. The origins have been debated but the celebration of the day may have started with church tithings to the poor or the day off that was given to servents who had to work on Christmas. (Think Scrooge's nephew's house maid). The "box" part my be because the tithings to the poor were collected in a separate box from the regular church collections...or it may be because the affluent would give their servents gifts and food in a box to carry home on Christmas night to enjoy the next day.

Either way, we celebrate any kind of charity crocheting, knitting, sewing, volunteering...! We have such a diverse group of charitable giving. Our group was a bit small last year, and I was the world's slowest moderator, but we are all going to have fun supporting each other this year. Please join us any time!! Tell us what charity you support.

~Denise

• Like 1

hope to follow along this year.

I plan to donate a lot of craft items to our "Redeemed Goods" store.  I hope to make some wreathes and such things.  I can do crafting if not crochet

I did make this one from a pic on Pinterest and donated:

cat01.jpg.c783484b77214ff9ecc13b19c3bc2859.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Darski, we are so glad you are here. That wreath is very cute. Lol, I can think of at least a dozen people in my rescue that would have loved to have that hanging in their home for Christmas. I am glad that you can still do creative things, if not crochet.

Glad to have you here Bailey and Lyn.  

Finally got moved and have a lot to sort thru, set up, put away, and get rid of.  I see Dolly every time I open closet and she is asking for a new dress and my bag of granny squares is beckoning me to join them together for a doll blanket.  There is a partial bag of mini stockings somewhere and a friend here at the 'ville sent me some fuzzy Christmas yarn because it would make nice trim on mini stockings.  I took some time to explore the other day and was tickled to find where the the prayer shawl group meets. Its in the apt across the street from me----the window in their room is literally just across the street.  Now to make it over when they meet.   Dont know when I will get started but hope its not much longer.  Currently do not have a good place to sit and crochet unless I pack up and go to one of the common areas.  Right now my comfy place to chill and watch tv consists of 3 large sofa pillows on the floor.  

Darski love that wreath and its so good to see you.  

Hi...well I have to be honest here and admit that I made these hats a few weeks ago, but just got the ends tucked in tonight while watching Monday Night Football. They are made from a skein of Bernat Blanket and I have ball left a little smaller than a tennis ball.  I used to send my charity hats to folks out of state because I didn't think that homeless people in Phoenix really needed hats and scarves. Then one January night, I locked myself out of my car and was SO cold while waiting for AAA. That's when I realized that yes, the homeless in Phoenix do need warm items. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5373a3efe2819e2064b2ff501fc1f1a5.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.174a945c04bdf8efb8559362ddd9e1da.jpeg

Edited by babypoohsmom

Brenda, I am glad to hear that you got moved and already found friends to meet with. Sometimes I'm happy to be in my chair watching tv and crocheting, but other times, I crave the company of other like minded people. 

I think we all know what it's like to have projects beckoning us! I hope you find some time soon to relax a bit. 

On 12/29/2019 at 11:05 PM, babypoohsmom said:

Hi...well I have to be honest here and admit that I made these hats a few weeks ago, but just got the ends tucked in tonight while watching Monday Night Football. They are made from a skein of Bernat Blanket and I have ball left a little smaller than a tennis ball.  I used to send my charity hats to folks out of state because I didn't think that homeless people in Phoenix really needed hats and scarves. Then one January night, I locked myself out of my car and was SO cold while waiting for AAA. That's when I realized that yes, the homeless in Phoenix do need warm items. 

image.thumb.jpeg.5373a3efe2819e2064b2ff501fc1f1a5.jpeg

I absolutely love these hats.  love the colour and the yarn. 😍

made my first wreath of the new year today.  I'm afraid I'm not a big fan of this "pull -thru" method.  but I do like the burlap effect.

1014491784_autumn01.thumb.jpg.fa288e5746e11b55da48f4855d1cb507.jpg

note - the half walnuts are from my stash for the many squirrels who live nearby. 83219255_1302542013175458047picture3.png.463f0af74837fc1a7df92bb34bef7cb6.png

with the cotton that wreath would be a big hit here in Virginia

I've been noticing that yarn at Walmart,is it easy to work with?,they look comfy and warm

with our weather so unseasonably warm,we hit 77, 2 days ago,50 day 30 for the start of the day tomorrow but warming to 60 mid day

I've been doing 2 strand scarves for when we get our 2-3 wks of 20 bone chilling degrees,if these high temps continue I'll have to drop back to one strand

54 minutes ago, pineknott said:

with the cotton that wreath would be a big hit here in Virginia

I've been noticing that yarn at Walmart,is it easy to work with?,they look comfy and warm

with our weather so unseasonably warm,we hit 77, 2 days ago,50 day 30 for the start of the day tomorrow but warming to 60 mid day

I've been doing 2 strand scarves for when we get our 2-3 wks of 20 bone chilling degrees,if these high temps continue I'll have to drop back to one strand

I remember when those sprays came out and there was massive screeching about racism.  When I saw some at our local (Cdn) Dollar Tree I grabbed it because I knew it would never come again.

I agree about that yarn - looks so good :)

Our weather has also been warmer... that could be why the "experts" are now claiming global cooling. :wlol

Hey Lyn, I have used a few skeins of the Walmart Mainstays yarn and thought it was very soft, you know, given its price. I actually thought it was a bit softer than RHSS. The color selection at my store has been limited though. 

You have a good eye for those wreaths Darski. What are the tiny red strands made of? Are those just bits of the red burlap? 

42 minutes ago, babypoohsmom said:

You have a good eye for those wreaths Darski. What are the tiny red strands made of? Are those just bits of the red burlap? 

Yes, they are the strands from the burlap.  Burlap always frays so easily.

I'm starting out my year with a project. I have a friend doing a backpacks for the homeless project with her church and she's hoping to get about 50 hats made. So she asked if I had time to help. My 9 year old has decided she wants to do the loom knitting for some also. She's a sweet kiddo!

That's great Holly. When does she hope to get 50 done? Is there a deadline?   My mom liked the loom knitting. She was good at it and had that little purple hook action down to a flick! Hope your daughter enjoys it. 

What a great project to do with your daughter!!!!  The hat looms make great hats and its a great way for your daughter to get involved with the project.  I still use the blue loom to make doll hats from time to time.  I was sad to see Authentic Knitting Board has stopped carrying their padded loom hooks.  It made my life easier and over the years I gifted several to others as the padding made using the hooks easier on my hands.

On 1/4/2020 at 1:05 AM, howieann said:

I'm starting out my year with a project. I have a friend doing a backpacks for the homeless project with her church and she's hoping to get about 50 hats made. So she asked if I had time to help. My 9 year old has decided she wants to do the loom knitting for some also. She's a sweet kiddo!

this is so good to hear.  you have set the example for her. (((hugs)))  

Edited by darski

I'll be making hats again soon,Rene' mentioned the need for her church on their pantry Tuesdays,I was real glad to have a hat on yesterday when I was out in the high winds,hope everyone has a great day

I posted some pics here yesterday and they seem to have disappeared. I show the "window" against both dark and light backgrounds

win01.jpg.b57e6778e5b05a886aff1082c5f7fa4a.jpg

win02.jpg.25602f52a2cbe928678c38bf5a68d37d.jpg

I hope Redeemed Goods can get a pretty penny for this as the multi-picture frame cost me a good bit

• Like 2

On 1/4/2020 at 1:05 AM, howieann said:

I have a bunch of hats/scarves etc.  Would you like to have them?  they are all sizes though - and I think mostly girl sized.  Feel free to say no.

3 minutes ago, darski said:

I have a bunch of hats/scarves etc.  Would you like to have them?  they are all sizes though - and I think mostly girl sized.  Feel free to say no.

I appreciate the offer, but they are only doing adults for this project. They are also keeping everything very neutral so that they don't have to do separate men's and women's backpacks.

thats how our hats are too,gender neutral

Rene' mentions to me Tuesday that her church would like hats for food pantry Tuesdays,she has been cranking them out,she has 8 to my 2

a couple of yrs ago it was 100 but that was over a yrs time