Boxing Day 2020 CAL Share any charity work!

babypoohsmom

got a couple of things today.  I got this Newberry doll for $17.00 cdn.  it will go in the donation box but I will get rid of the package as it adds to the weight.

newb01.jpg.8b5a1d0441abbdf1b85a96ed6562152e.jpg

and I thought someone somewhere would love a gnirly gnome.  She is so sweet and the braids do take the place of the beards.

gnome03.jpg.039e74b803f9d6c38b2b4b3b6a026fa0.jpg

darski I am loving your craft projects and great find on the doll and gnome.  

Denise have you seen these mini stocking patterns?

http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2017/05/27/top-down-christmas-stocking/

http://www.myrecycledbags.com/2016/10/01/mini-cuffed-christmas-stocking-pattern/

https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mini-christmas-stocking-21

On this one note how they work the heel ( round 14 thru 20).  I started subbing this method in the pattern I was using.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thecrochetblog.net/crochet-frilled-newborn-socks-free-crochet-pattern/amp/

Hi, my iPad has been on the fritz and our Apple Store is closed.

Has anyone heard from Bailey on other forums? She was on a tear with the doll clothes and now nothing. With all of the crazies of 2020, I am worried. 

Darski, you are on a roll. That doll was a find! And your gnome is adorable.

Im going to check out those stocking patterns right now. 

1 hour ago, babypoohsmom said:

Has anyone heard from Bailey on other forums? She was on a tear with the doll clothes and now nothing. With all of the crazies of 2020, I am worried. 

She made some really cute Halloween hotpads, finger puppets, garland, and little ami toys to go with storybooks and posting them in the "A place to encourage each other in 2020 as we make gifts or charity items" CAL.  

Thanks for checking on me. :flower

I've got a good donation pile and will be checking with the business teacher to find out what will be happening with the donation in October.  I want to give them time to wrap their heads around what ever format they finally settle on for school this year.  If they aren't going to do the donation, I'm going to ask her for the contact they work with so I can make the donation directly and then hopefully if life returns to normal return to working with the school next year.

I have a relation on DH's side with 2 little girls.  Since the oldest was born I've been sending little holiday boxes with kid friendly holiday themed crocheted decorations and toys since some parents are concerned about the issues of where the kid friendly holiday store stuff is made.  This year I've also been updating some of my own decorations.  I've been attacking my stash where I can, but I've also been exploring more online yarn providers as I just don't leave the house very often.  DH is a sweet heart and does all the shopping.

I never had tons of stuff growing up being from a large family without tons of money but we always had holiday celebrations and you could do lots of things that didn't cost lots of money.  I feel for kids today because things that I took for granted for years just aren't allowed now.  I understand fully why, but it has to be hard for a child to miss out.  So, in my own small way I've been trying to make these holiday boxes a little more fun.  I've always had holiday themed books and toys and sometimes decorations but I'm trying to be just a little more creative.  I know not everyone is into Halloween, but it was a fun harmless cheap holiday when I was a kid and I loved it.  We always managed to have costumes and go trick or treating.  The schools still had parties back then.  My favorites were dressing up like a book you'd read for class. 

With that in mind I'm trying to start a Halloween crocheted village for the little ones and finish what I can by the end of this month and then perhaps if life allows make more items to add to it for next year if they like it.  I also have a bday box to finish for the youngest who has a bday shortly before Halloween.

One year I am determined to get a 4th of July box done.  It's the one box I have patterns to make but the timing is always bad.  I'm usually in dress making mode for the doll donation as soon as I finish the kids Christmas box and then there is Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day and Easter and then the oldest one's bday.  I always think I'll have time to get to that July 4th box but it has yet to happen.  One day perhaps, we will see.

Edited by Bailey4
  • Like 1

need an opinion on this deskmate.  I have been watching vids on some paper-crafting Ideas and I designed this based on those ideas.  I love this but I don't have any place to use it (it is a 2021 calendar - yes I got that without seeing the trailer first)  

so... would you use something like this.  It is going down to our laundry room where we can share free stuff and I imagine someone will use it,  Love doing this stuff but not sure of the usefulness.  it has a notebook, a pen, a tissue holder, the calendar and post-it flag notes.

desky01.jpg.24fb475a4f1dcf7a394ff3cbd2b64dee.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darski said:

need an opinion on this deskmate.  I have been watching vids on some paper-crafting Ideas and I designed this based on those ideas.  I love this but I don't have any place to use it (it is a 2021 calendar - yes I got that without seeing the trailer first)  

so... would you use something like this.  It is going down to our laundry room where we can share free stuff and I imagine someone will use it,  Love doing this stuff but not sure of the usefulness.  it has a notebook, a pen, a tissue holder, the calendar and post-it flag notes.

desky01.jpg.24fb475a4f1dcf7a394ff3cbd2b64dee.jpg

I would either hang something like this on the wall or use magnets to hang it on the refrigerator.

• Like 1

Well Bailey, you have been working a lot on a special project. We grew up in the lower middle class and made a lot of gifts and decorations. My mom was an amazing seamstress back when fabric was 3 yards for $1, which was great for me as the only girl, but sometimes not great for my 3 older brothers.

A great gift for me was a new matching outfit for my favorite teddy bear and me to wear to church. Us kids would tag-team...I figured out how to macrame a plant holder, one brother bought a pretty plant, another one a glazed pot and finally the hook that held it all up. That was the way we did it. My poor dad still has a "hand made" bowl made from kindergarten clay that he used to use when he smoked a pipe in the backyard. He hasn't smoked in 60 years and I swear kindergarten clay used to be much more sturdy, because he still has that thing and it cannot be damaged. 

Your Valentine's Day crochet cookie is legend among our foster kittens. It came out of the greeting card and somehow they decided it was theirs. You never know how fun something from the heart can go on for years! 

I really need to find this amazing Betsy Ross dress my great aunt made for my Barbie. 

Whew, anyway. I wondered into a Dollar Tree a bit farther away than my usual one and found skeins of cotton yarn. There were about 8 colors but only the purple had flecks of other colors in it. I'm anxious to try it this weekend.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Brenda, the stockings are always so fun. Like Linda's birds nests. Never sure what colors are going to look great together.

Darski, were you hoping the set would be used in thr laundry room or that someone would see it there and take it?  

• Like 1

Wow everyone has been busy.  I sent my donation to Bailey4 and I am waiting to see what will be going on.  

Right now I am making a TRUMP afghan for my BIL.  He just had his left eye operated on and we are hoping he will be able to see out of it.  I forgot what it is like to work with yarn this time of year.

I hope when this is done, to do some small things for charity.

Love the lapghan babypoohsmom.  

Off to see what the world has to offer and then back to the graph ghan.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bgs said:

I would either hang something like this on the wall or use magnets to hang it on the refrigerator.

I agree that would be a good idea but I think the little notebook would have to go. .. it might work :think

8 hours ago, babypoohsmom said:

Brenda, the stockings are always so fun. Like Linda's birds nests. Never sure what colors are going to look great together.

Darski, were you hoping the set would be used in thr laundry room or that someone would see it there and take it?  

we can put stuff we don't want in an area of the laundry room and people can come and take anything they see and like.  I send a lot of stuff down there and have gotten some great stuff there myself.  It is my favourite way to "reduce, reuse, recycle".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, darski said:

we can put stuff we don't want in an area of the laundry room and people can come and take anything they see and like.  I send a lot of stuff down there and have gotten some great stuff there myself.  It is my favourite way to "reduce, reuse, recycle".

One of the apartment buildings we walked thru to get to one of our village restaurants also has a "magic table"---you leave things on it and they magically disappear.  I was having fun thinning out my things by leaving them there ---mugs filled with Valentine's day candies,  holiday pins and puzzles.  I left them there on the way to lunch and they were often all gone on my way back from lunch.  Now or still because of covid only residents of said building are allowed in building and restaurants do curbside.  

Edited by bgs
  • Like 1

Brenda I love that idea of a magic table.

Darski I would put that on the table next to my phone.  Yes, I still have a phone that is plugged into the wall.  I only got a cell phone a little after that hurricane hit about 2 years ago.  Still not sure how it works.:rofl

1 hour ago, Tampa Doll said:

Brenda I love that idea of a magic table.

People would also leave fruit, doughnuts, cookies, etc.  to share with others.  Some bought or made things to share.  Sometimes they just wanted a few cookies from a package and then left the rest there.  

On 9/2/2020 at 1:54 PM, Avon Lady said:

Yes, Krys is correct--they're just for the individual bars of soap.  I made some for stocking stuffers one year, and they were very well received!

I think I should make one or two of them for my friend in Arizona. I just find out he is using bars-soap. I use to use those bars and I remember by the end of that bar there was a small-skinny bar left. That was too small to do anything with that, so I was that away. I just thought that "bag" would be good to put few of those small left overs together and still have some use of that. Money saving "bag" LOL..

I am sure he would like that. He is an older guy,  a family friend. He likes everything I make for him :). Maybe even few wash clothes to go with that.

Many years ago I made many washcloths for him. ALL THE SAME YARN! :(.. The reason for that was: I bought a BIG ball of variegated cotton yarn. Once I got that yarn I did NOT like that at all!.. So I made all those washcloths for him just to use up that yarn. And I did that!. He loved that color & all those washcloths....NO, I never told him the real reason WHY he got all those washcloths made out of the same yarn....LOL. He probably still got some of them left :).

Krys

On 9/12/2020 at 10:00 AM, bgs said:

One of the apartment buildings we walked thru to get to one of our village restaurants also has a "magic table"---you leave things on it and they magically disappear.  I was having fun thinning out my things by leaving them there ---mugs filled with Valentine's day candies,  holiday pins and puzzles.  I left them there on the way to lunch and they were often all gone on my way back from lunch.  Now or still because of covid only residents of said building are allowed in building and restaurants do curbside.  

I could use that "Magic Table" LOL. I got a lot of stuff I would like to give away. Most of my stuff my friend will take. BUT, some of that she dos not want LOL.

I do throw away a lot of stuff...I hate clutter. Specially when I clean my closets & other places... Some I donate to Salvation Army.

Krys

This is my Bob Ross moment... I'm giving my gnirly gnome a happy little friend.

gnome05.jpg.aff877e3fdcae4a8e7bfc3697ebeab6a.jpg

I love making these gnomes and everyone seems to love them - sort of a throw back to "Precious Moments" but with noses instead.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, darski said:

This is my Bob Ross moment... I'm giving my gnirly gnome a happy little friend.

gnome05.jpg.aff877e3fdcae4a8e7bfc3697ebeab6a.jpg

I love making these gnomes and everyone seems to love them - sort of a throw back to "Precious Moments" but with noses instead.

I love these!

Hey Bailey....just reading back through posts and let me be clear that I was not implying that the family you make the fun boxes for can't afford store made decorations, I just meant that when you buy a trinket from the dollar store it means a lot less than something that is hand made and has personal value. I hope I didn't come across the wrong way! I made a tiny shamrock for a friend when I first learned to crochet and every year, it is on display in her cubicle. I made a hat for the daughter of a girl in records 10 years ago and she just mentioned it to me a few weeks ago. Lol, on the other hand, I would never give anything hand made to my oldest brother. My youngest brother loves everything I make and sometimes requests things. I think we all have "gift card" friends and relatives!

Krys, love the washcloth story. I'm sure we can all relate to that.

And Darski, super cute buddies. Those are going to disappear from the magic table so quickly.

Finally, I saw on a you tube knitting podcast that Micheals store brand yarn was re-released and is very soft, plus they had new color ways. So....I popped in and bought these two today. I know the Jacquard won't work up as nicely in crochet as it does in knit, but I'm going to make a hat during the football game tonight and see how it goes.  And PS, it is very soft now. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f5e28ca849609eec67c7d3ced4a273c3.jpeg

Edited by babypoohsmom

I'm not sure what that comment was about but I haven't been visiting here as frequently as I haven't been working as much on the charity stuff as I've been prepping family stuff to go out. 

I tend to avoid making stuff for people who don't like hand made stuff.  Why waste my time and energy if they don't like it?   I can appreciate you like stuff or you don't but I think you owe it to people to be honest and not waste their time when you have the freedom to voice those concerns.  So like most of us there are only a few friends and family I crochet items for the rest I buy gifts for and everyone is much happier.

I mention this because as a child my Mom would knit stuff that itched and scratched and to this day I don't wear sweaters or yarn mittens, gloves, or hats.  As a child speaking my issues with the skin irritation was not an option.  There were clearly children all over the world who would be thrilled to have the option to be scratching instead of freezing to death only girls as ungrateful as one like I would mention the itch.  Oddly when I went to school I learned there were lots of girls with clothes that didn't irritate.  It was clearly an education that there were those who weren't freezing and not itching.  Who knew?

However, as an adult I freely admit  I prefer fleece when ever possible.  Even with the softer yarns today I just still get flash backs to that itchy scratchy Woolworths yarn my Mom would use and I want nothing to do with it.  So, I fully respect when people say thanks but no thanks to hand made gifts.  I just prefer they are honest as I said it saves me the time and money.

This family member surprised me because she and her kids really get into the toys so for now I'll continue.  Eventually I'm sure they will out grow it but they will still have hand made decorations to use for the holidays that are kid friendly when others come to visit that can be sacrificed to little hands.

I still have my Mom's tree ornaments and they were divided into breakable and unbreakable.  Clearly the unbreakable weren't completely unbreakable but they were deemed safer for little hands rather than the glass ones that were my great grandmother's.  I think it is still nice to have those types of ornaments and other decorations so that little ones can participate in Christmas and other holiday decorating safely.  They have their decorations which can double as toys sometimes and the adults have the less kid friendly items that the kids will one day be old enough and feel that pride in knowing they are now allowed to put out.  At least that's the way I felt when I graduated to the breakable ornaments.

After 8 days my 2 day priority package with doll clothes and blankets finally made it to Chris.  I hope the school gets to do their project with the toys this year as I think its going to be a tough Christmas for many.  All the shoes, the shawl with the blue dress, and the yellow purse are from darski's patterns.  The dress bodices are from the Flamenco dress and then I winged the skirts of the dresses, other shawls and purses.  

20200904_153534.thumb.jpg.0eaa0dd6943eab83be9ad464c1f6b3ab.jpg

20200904_132456.thumb.jpg.a31494e30ed0680f5e105b4796b8ff2d.jpg

20200904_135310.thumb.jpg.a4bd0510e2e83b4622b590a474d12dd2.jpg

20200904_141519.thumb.jpg.85ceb9864f6fcb000fe6a5c422a8720c.jpg

• Like 2