*****Need advice.....dress complete pic added

craftylady1956

Question

I am almost complete on a cute little pink lacey dress made with #10 thread for a baby. It could not find any small buttons in pink that I needed so I bought white. I also bought pink ribbon to go around the bust area.

The question---being it is a very open type pattern--do you think I should make a sewn slip for under the dress and if so would it look better if the slip was white or pink? I would tack the slip to the dress. Thanks for any advice.

25 answers to this question

Again ...thank you all for helping me with this..although I like the idea of the crinoline slip I had also thought it may be a little rough on a baby. I think I will sew a white slip and maybe crochet a edging to make it a little prettier than plain.

I'll post a photo of my dress when complete...

Just finished the dress a few minutes ago. I sewed my own crinoline slip ..added pearl buttons to the back and a pink bow to the front...I can't wait for the new mama to see it....thanks again for all of your help.

post-7413-0-84808300-1406990720_thumb.jpg

That is a beautiful dress.  

I tried googling, the only crinolines or 'pageant petticoats'  I could find were for toddlers not baby size (and, they weren't cheap).   I'm wondering if a stiff crinoline would  be uncomfortable for a tiny baby .

I think I'd be inclined to use a baby t-shirt, and make a white diaper cover or shorts (bloomers - you could make lacy edges!) to go underneath.

The dress is beautiful. I would choose white for the slip as the pink will show better.

For the slip/petticoat; check bridal stores or infant/child formal dress shops. If you sew, check out the patterns at your local fabric shop.

ETA: Or make something like this slip with crochet edging to match the dress.

That is such a beautiful little dress. A pink or white slip would be suitable. I personally would prefer white myself but the pink would really show off the design. I think that it would be gorgeous either way.

I would use a slip.   I'd probably buy one that has the (I think it's called ) crinolin (sp?).  The stuff that makes it puffy, bouncy and puff out a big.

I think you'd see the design better with a colored slip but I don't know if you'll be able to find one like that.

Oh, so Pretty!

My first thought was a white slip - the pink would pop more. Just my opinion, of course....

Archived