Has anyone heard about the yarn at Big Lots?

Itty Bitty

I was at my local yarn shop today, and the lady was telling me something about the yarn at Big Lots. She said there's "leftovers" from "quality" yarn that just wasn't enough for a commercial ball. So they use it up and discount it. She said something else about not trusting the label, to go home and do the "burn test" on it. Has anyone else heard of this before?

they only yarn I've seen here at my big lots has been what appears to be homespun or a similar yarn. Haven't check in awhile though.

Burn test..acrylic will melt/burn and wool will not

I bought some fuzzy yarns there last Christmas season for scarves but it's been stashed so long I forgot about it until now. When they first opened they had tons of Fun Fur so I made alot of ami's from that.

I love the store- they carry the imported cookies I crave. The Hubster calls the place "Big Foots" and when we go to town we try to make a stop there. The yarn shelf is my first lookyloo. :D

ETA*** Forgot to mention I have purchased discontinued Lion Brand yarn there too!

I buy big lots yarn on a regular basis, now because I have noticed a few things. I think they use the gala mix fiber label as a way for them to catalog and price it. I have found lots of hobby lobby yarn with the gala label on it. I found 3 deborah norville serenity garden yarns for $1 per skein there, I ordered some online to finish a project and to make sure it was the same. It is, I have also found hobby lobby i love this cotton, diva sequin, deborah norville serenity chunky.

I did a burn test on some I found that felt like wool to me, I still am unsure of the yarn, but I know it is wool or enough of wool blend to pass the burn test, as well as the felt test.

I am posting a pick of the serenity garden gems yarn. the ones rolled into balls are the one I purchased from big lots, the ones with labels I bought from an online store. http://s346.photobucket.com/albums/p403/mva549308/?action=view&current=HPIM1331.jpg

In past years I have bought RedHeart and Lion Brand there but lately I have noticed the gala brand yarn, I have seen the same in AC Moore and also occasionally at the Christmas Tree Shop. They are just small little skeins, which I use as trim for scarves and hats.

LI Roe

I've bought a lot of Lion Brand suede, and Thick & Quick Chenille at Big Lots for $1.50 a skein. There's been nothing wrong with the yarn itself. The problem has been the labels themselves.

Sometimes the labels aren't glued or are glued crooked. For a long time, the skeins had labels that didn't have the weight printed on them. It's just factory glitches, but the factories don't want to pay workers to redo these sorts of problems, so the skeins get sent to discount stores. I've bought tons of wonderful yarn at dollar stores because of things like this. Sometimes it's smeared printing or ripped labels.

I have been buying the gala mixed fiber yarns from Big Lots for some time now. I just spent around $20 a few weeks ago on a bunch of yarn that is self-striping. Each ball band says the skeins weight around 50g. I actually measured one of the skeins just to see how much yarn was on it...it was worsted weight and had around 110 yards. I am almost positive some of the yarn I bought was from Hobby Lobby.

Ravely has several threads regarding this yarn....here is one: http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/yarn/2069189/1-25

There is no one answer about Big Lots yarns because they will get all sorts of yarn -- end lots, irregulars, some just discontinued colors or styles, some are from stores that went under and the yarn itself is still first rate. I've gotten different brands, different fibers and different values. Make sure you look at the weights because sometimes even $1 is not a good buy if you are getting such a small amount of a low quality yarn. On the other hand, I've gotten bags of unmarked Homespun that were a great value, same with some specialty ladder yarns! You just have to look and evalute each yarn you buy.

I have been buying yarn at big lots for some time. I have found everything from deborah norville serenity garden to hobby lobby i love this yarn, walk away sock. You never know what you will find there.

• 6 months later...

I love buying yarn at Big Lots. Have gotten some really nice yarns there. Some I used for our Charity Scarf Tree at the library this year. Everything from lace weight to chunky. Most Gila yarns have "content" printed on the label.

With all the yarn I've bought at Big Lots, I've never had a problem with any of it. If any skeins have been shorted, I think I also have ones that are also on the heavy side.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Unfortunately, not all Big Lots carry yarn.  I first saw yarn at the Big Lots near my mom's house in Kenosha, WI this summer, and bought a bunch of Canan Gloria (and had Mom buy more of that & some Canan Baby Soft before she came down to visit us this fall); however, there wasn't any yarn at the Big Lots in Carbondale, IL when I dropped my son off at college down there in August.  I did find yarn at the Big Lots in Kankakee, IL just today (while shopping the after-Christmas sales); more picked-over than the Kenosha Big Lots in August, but spotted some more of the Canan Gloria, a bunch of novelty yarns (scarf yarns or ladder yarns), and a ton of skeins labelled "Gala Yarns Mixed Fiber" (plus a bunch of unlabelled skeins which looked like the Gala ones).  I picked up 7 different colorways of Gala which looked suspiciously like Loops & Threads Charisma from Michaels (which looks a lot like Lion Brand Jiffy), and from what I've been reading on this thread and on Ravelry, it may actually be Loops & Threads Charisma mill ends.  I might "swatch" it by crocheting a charity pet blanket; if the Gala yarn FO felts when machine-washed, the pet blanket can go to my own dog instead of the shelter!

had no idea big lots sold different kinds of yarn. ive bought some a looooong time ago. i guess i need to check it out. thanks for the heads up ladies. hope everyone had a good holiday.

Archived