TV Commercial

LadyyOftheOak

Anyone else see the "Crochet Today" commercial? It was a spoof I think for one of the satellite channels.. in other words if you didnt' watch their channel then Crochet Today was all there was to watch instead.... :eek It was kind of funny.. this old lady crocheting air freshener doilies and everything around her was crocheted....

I so resemble that skit.. :blush I had to laugh, especially since I was sitting there working on some socks with my G hook, which was the one she said to pick up and use to make the cozy.. but still.. darnit!! I wanna know where the cameras are at my house :lol :lol :lol

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that is for a new Glad air freshner. They are trying to say that you do not have to make covers for your air freshner any more. Their new one is pretty.:D

Well, when I saw it on USA and TNT I just kept saying NOT FUNNY.:eek

First off, we like to make air freshner covers. Second I agree, we should find out who these people are and send them pictures of crocheters. After all we are from age 8 and up.:h5

What I find funny, is that they only show it on obscure channels, not the big stations (ABC, CBS, NBC, or FOX).

Oh well, I guess if you can't laugh :lol at yourself, then who can you laugh:lol at.:think

It was a Glade commerical..saw it twice last night, lol. I don't like how they portrayed crocheters as grannies making silly things. BUT..I do like how they make it into a crochet commerical! lol It was cute though..may have to email Glade, lol

Donna

Mary Jo - I happened to see this commercial today on NBC today during the soaps. Glad - Mead/johnson?? must have purchased ad space for certain demographics. I wouldn't place this ad in primetime - it just doesn't have the pull there - plus their budget is probably only 1/4 of what the products are for commercials run in prime time. Most of these items are run during the day (talkshows/soaps) and on the cable networks channels - those are "package" purchases for the air time.

I guess any press is good press - Not that I agree with the stigma they attached to our craft - but it still is exposure. I still would like to find out who produced the spot and give them a piece of my mind :)

I saw the commercial this afternoon and had to say, "Hey!" Now, I don't think the lady on tv represents the typical crocheter or what we all whip up with our g hooks. I would love to share with the ad company a few pics of those beautiful bikinis that our very own CroshayQueen makes! Well, the ad was all in good fun, but, HEY!:angry

I didn't think it was funny - I thought it was disgusting. I'll never buy another Glade air freshener as long as I live. I don't care if a thousand skunks trample me down and have their way with every thing in my house. I saw it during the premiere of CSI and probably should have laughed it off but it was ignorant, disrespectful and just plain stupid. I realize it was a spoof and shouldn't take it so seriously - but I've never seen another hobby so blatantly poked fun of on a TV commercial as that one. I think I need some of that free Ambien that was advertised after that - you know - that drug that makes you like people?

I've seen it a couple of time. And, frankly, I was offended. They way they made crocheters look. I've been seriously thinking about writing to the company and telling them how offensive their commercial is. They made it look like all crocheters are babbleing idiots. I’m all for being able to laugh at yourself. But this was over the line. I’ve never seen a commercial be so completely disrespectful to a group of people. All that commercial does is reinforce in people’s mind that people who do crafts like knitting and crochet (‘cause most people don’t know the difference) are a group of mindless old ladies that make stupid and pointless stuff .

Obnoxiously speaking...I'd like to BUY one of those goofy air fresheners and crochet a HAND with a certain finger extended upward, glue it on top of the Air Freshener and MAIL it to them.

Now that image makes me laugh :lol

TV commercials are all pretty much stupid. I'd rather they make fun of a hobby than degrade women or even men.

I hate the Penny's one day sale commercials (where is your mother). Plenty of women think it's funny but I do not. It sends the message that men are too stupid or too lazy to take care their own children for one day and that women only take a day off to go shopping.

They Lysol wipes commercial where mom smears raw chicken over everything is disgusting and gross.

The Sci Fi channel's own self promotion commercial where a man puts his lips to a dogs butt and blows, making a balloon animal; is disgusting and gross.

There are many more I could go on about.

This glade one is funny because come on let's face it, too many people cover too many things. Not everything needs a cover/cozy. The glad people are making fun of themselves as much as anyone else. As someone pointed out, if you go to their site, they have a ton of air freshner covers to make and some of them are really quite stupid.

I found a cozy for an X box controller. Why does anyone need that? :think

Just my opinion. Your milage may differ. ;)

I’ve never seen a commercial be so completely disrespectful to a group of people.

Maybe I should post a list of commercials and the groups of people their offense too. ;)

I'm sure I'll be flamed now. At least in private. :)

We saw it mid-way through "The Daily Show," and all of us fell about laughing. Hubby and son started teasing me, saying they know in a few more years that'll be me. <g>

My grandma, who originally taught me to crochet and who I loved dearly, used to make not only wonderful afghans, but also her fair share of completely hideous and dorky little totchkes. Our family called them "pipe cleaner monsters" because many of them were crocheted whatsits with pipe cleaners, sequins, and googly eyes added. And I can't even tell you how many unforgettable little fuzzy creations I've seen on tables at craft fairs and community fundraisers...

The thing is, we all have different tastes, and sometimes what we create at one stage of our lives will be radically different from what we'll create at a later stage. My husband can't for the life of him figure out why I love making dishcloths, and he swears we'll have enough of them after this year that we'll never need to buy (or make!) any ever again. I myself am *not* enthralled with the thought of making fridgies, but my mom gets a kick out of them, so I'll probably make a few for her.

I don't think crochet was singled out unfairly. I remember a commercial from a year or two back in which a woman had made what looked like knitted gifts for her family (sweaters, I think) and they all turned their noses up at them and made it clear they'd rather she'd given them "x" instead. Do you remember this one? I really did hate that commercial -- didn't find it amusing the way I did this one. The implication in that case was that homemade gifts are never good enough, and that it is't the effort and the love that goes into the gift that matters. Now, that was knitting, and even though I don't knit, it bothered the heck out of me.

Well, guess how I feel about this current commercial actually doesn't matter one way or the other, as I very rarely buy anything based on commercials, anyway. And no matter what the commercial, or how much effort they put into it, there will always be some people who get a kick out of it and some who loathe it. In this case, it's their misfortune that one person who actually did think the ad was amusing is also a person who never buys any of their products and likely never will. Although I'm thinking about buying just one air freshener, so I can crochet a goofy cover for it and wrap it up to give my hubby as a gag gift for Christmas this year. I'll have to be sure to use googly eyes on it, too. That'll teach him to tease me! :lol

Lene'

Our family called them "pipe cleaner monsters" because many of them were crocheted whatsits with pipe cleaners, sequins, and googly eyes added.

Oh I remember those! :rofl

sometimes what we create at one stage of our lives will be radically different from what we'll create at a later stage.

And sometimes we make things we hate later and think why did I ever make that. :lol

I agree with you totally, we all have different tastes and some commercials offend and some tickle our funnybones.

Oh and I think I remember that knit one. Seems like they were all green sweaters. Maybe not. ;)

And sometimes we make things we hate later and think why did I ever make that. :lol

Oh, sure! Even within a relatively short span of time, at least in my experience. I've been looking at some of the things I made earlier this year and wondering why on earth I thought some of those things were a good idea. :lol Maybe my taste is improving along with my crochet skills, or maybe I still have crap taste and won't realize it til *next* year. Doesn't matter, even if I'm making my own version of pipe cleaner monsters, I'm enjoying myself tremendously, and that's all I really care about. If I'm not doing this for pleasure, then what on earth is the point?

I fully expect to be a crazy little old lady with fat cats, rooms chock'full'o'books, and more crocheted whatevers than you can shake a cane at, one of these fine years. My son, bless him, is fully aware of this, and still plans to take care of me in my dotage. Considering how long the women in my family live, he may also be stuck with my equally batty mother, the poor kid. :lol At least she doesn't crochet, so I'll be the only yarn-monster creator, but she does make loads of beaded jewlery, and has a habit of spilling seed beads all over the floor every single time she sits down with them... Wouldn't we make a funny commercial? I think people would love it!

Lene'

that commercial makes my husband look at me and grin. when i first started crocheting (about 2 months ago), the first thing i learned how to make were cell phone pouches. everytime i'd finish one, i'd say,"looky. looky. isn't it cool?"he always agreed even tho they all looked alike except different colors. now i've downloaded so many simple patterns to try that i've had to go buy more paper and start a file folder for them. and everytime i sit down, i pick up a hook and start in. he knew he was doomed yesterday when he came home and the laundry was piled high on the couch, but i finished my shrug. hey, we gotta have priorities.:hook i've also been selling the pouches at my booth at the farmers market. gonna do some drawstring purses and see what else i can do before the indoor holiday market that we're having in november.

I didn't think it was funny - I thought it was disgusting. I'll never buy another Glade air freshener as long as I live.

That was my reaction as well, but I'll admit I don't buy air fresheners of any kind, so it's easy to not buy another. :hook

A friend had already told me about the commercial and my reaction then was "remember the Charmin commercial" and how crocheters/knitters/quilters reacted and got the commercial changed.

So, nice letters to Glade might have really good results. Ya' never know.

HnC

You all have me wanting to see the commercial so badly........I want to see if I'll be offended or it I'll just laugh my a** off..........I have a feeling it'll be the second.......you can't take it so seriously......most commercials only show people how to get away with bad behaviour, be happy to see the light side of something, and in this case the something is crocheting :lol

Archived