TV Commercial

LadyyOftheOak

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if I keep crocheting as much as I do now for the next, say, 20-30 years, my house may end up looking like that lady's house. :P I mean, how many scarves and dishcloths and blankets and hats and such can I make? I can totally see how I might get to the point where I'm looking for *any* excuse to crochet something -- a cozy for the toothbrush holder? Hey, I can do that! Cover the table legs with mohair ruffles? Why not? Now, my dog has such a thick coat of fur already I'd probably kill him if I made him a jacket or something, but we do have two cats... and I can kinda see how they would look ever so delightful wearing little lacey caps and mini ponchos...

They're giving me a wide berth at the moment because they suspect something from the way I'm eyeballin' them, but just you wait. They have to sleep sometime.:lol

Lene'

Well, maybe our different reactions have to do with how much needling we've had to put up with in our own lives for crocheting. I've recently been told by my own mother that she doesn't like crocheted stuff because it's "old-fashioned" and she thinks it makes a person look fat. That didn't feel so great to hear considering I'd given her a crocheted mobius scarf last Christmas (which has yet to be worn). Still, her mother was an expert crocheter and my mother does cherish the bedspread my grandmother made for her before she died. In any event it's that kind of negative feedback that can leave a person a bit sensitive to jokes about crochet.

On the other hand I've never had the urge to make an air freshener cover, toilet paper doll, or any kind of cozy. Doesn't mean I look down on them, but it wouldn't make sense with our modern decor and I just don't feel the need. I'd rather spend that time making something I can wear myself. I could see how that commercial might offend someone who enjoys making those things, but I can also see how some other crocheters would get a giggle out of it. The question is whether they were saying crocheted covers are objectionable or that their product is no longer so unsightly that it needs to be camouflaged.

I haven't seen the commercial yet so can't comment as to whether I'd think it was funny or offensive, but

They Lysol wipes commercial where mom smears raw chicken over everything is disgusting and gross.
Every time I see that commercial, I have an almost overpowering urge to go wash my hands. It creeps me out so much. :yuck

Guest Crafterlady46
Yes, I saw that ad too! I guess they were inferring that 'old grannies' crochet, and not younger people! Sort of insulting.

I know quite a few young people and they are a wiz at crochet. The young ladies are in a class I help out with. They are much better than I am with yarn. I admire them and think the ad is...well :think:think just an ad. ;)

I just saw it the other night too, and just thought it was funny.

LOL, I am kid of used to getting teased though. I am a waitress in a "fine dining" restauraunt, and with all the other gals, I am a duck out of water so to speak. They all get their hair, and nails done, eat out all the time, LOVE to shop the mall.

I am a country girl, wear long braids, bite my nails, and love to cook, hate the mall, love garage sales....its funny, I love the other girls, but whew, NOTHING in common! No one crochets, sews, knits, nothing but shop.

I see the commercial as a jab at their own product, not us. If the thing weren't so "blah" to begin with, why would it need a cover to begin with? Who would want to cover something pretty? And yeah, I am part of the camp that busted up laughing when I saw it!

Saw the commercial again last night, and I gotta say...it's taking a jab at both their product and crocheting. The Crochet Today sign on the wall is this ugly, intentionally tacky thing, and they couldn't have made crochet look any less appealing. If it were just about the product, I would imagine a Martha Stewart type woman showing different ways of covering the air freshener rather than a campy old woman surrounded by poorly executed crochet work with a sign that says "Crochet Today." That most certainly isn't today's crochet.

I just saw it again. And the first few times, I was horrifed at it. This time, I didn't mind it so much, until the woman made the Bunny face thing... That I thought made her look really bad. I guess I am just getting used to the commerical... Just like I have gotten used to all of the other negative sterotypes on tv.... But, that still doesn't make me want to buy thier product... Oh wait, an ad never did that anyways....

wow you folks talk ALOT :lol

I wasn't really offended by it.. mesmerized yes and I did laugh, then kind of went.. HEY NOW! then giggled some more.. Hubby wisely said nothing and went to hide..:lol

Maybe we should all write to Glade a polite letter and suggest their next commercial of this nature highlight the young crocheters out there and portray it in more of a favorable light. Shoot we could all send a picture of ourselves with our crocheted items that are beautiful functional... but first we all have to have the Crochet Today thing that is hanging in the background of that commercial on the wall! :devil

I saw the commercial this afternoon and had to say, "Hey!" Now, I don't think the lady on tv represents the typical crocheter or what we all whip up with our g hooks. I would love to share with the ad company a few pics of those beautiful bikinis that our very own CroshayQueen makes! Well, the ad was all in good fun, but, HEY!:angry

Lets not just send them pics of croshayqueens bikinis, lets send them pics of a gorgous(sp?) woman with very larg breast crocheting a vibrator cozy. ( hope that did'nt offend but I really have seen a pattern for that online) Or some of her dancer type costumes on a girl onstage teaching drooling men to crochet with her g hook while the strobe lights flash and they stuff money in her g-string for the lessons. Oh goodness, Im being vry perverted arent I?:devil ( as she stares at the monitor and contimplates wheather or not to erase and move on to next post)........

I finally saw the commercial. Whoever said it isn't being show much at primetime is right--I saw it at 2:25 AM on Saturday lol.

I still can't decide if it's funny or offensive. :think The wall behind her had a bunch of pinwheel doilies a lot like one I made recently, so I was kinda thinking, "hey, they're making fun of my doilies!" But it seemed relatively good-natured. I just don't really know how I feel about it...

Yes - I said the bit about the primetime slot purchase - it was only my best guestamate as to when the commercial would appear. Obviously I was wrong lol.

Mead Johnson put more money behind this launch than I would have anticipated. Trafficking commercials is a tricky thing. Someone in one region may see the commerical on at 2:10 AM - because is was bumped from its original position due to breaking news, etc. Others see it in is original time slot (during lost) and still others will not see it until Months later. Did you ever notice that holiday commercials sometimes run into February/March. That is because the commercial was bumped for some reason and the cable company has to completely honor the contract.

I thought the commercial was funny. I was impressed that they didn't confuse knitting with crochet. I think the only thing I DIDN'T like was the stereotype, but, oh well. I think they were making fun of unattractive freshners more than they were making fun of crocheters.

I found it hilarious. If I can't laugh at myself then who can I laugh at?

I saw it during Lost also. My husband started laughing because he knows that there are a few strange crocheted covers now hiding away because my tastes have definitely changed. :D

:) I just e-mailed SC Johnson. I told them I liked their products and found the commercial funny. I told them that not all crocheters are grannies and we make more than just doilies. I did say that although the new freshners ARE too pretty to cover up, they would be a great accent to a hand-crocheted table mat. ;) I'll post if they e-mail me back. :lol

Yes - I said the bit about the primetime slot purchase - it was only my best guestamate as to when the commercial would appear. Obviously I was wrong lol.

Mead Johnson put more money behind this launch than I would have anticipated. Trafficking commercials is a tricky thing. Someone in one region may see the commerical on at 2:10 AM - because is was bumped from its original position due to breaking news, etc. Others see it in is original time slot (during lost) and still others will not see it until Months later. Did you ever notice that holiday commercials sometimes run into February/March. That is because the commercial was bumped for some reason and the cable company has to completely honor the contract.

They know that woman watch Lost, too.

It's actually S. C. Johnson & Son and they are a huge company with a huge ad budget.

As for airing commercials, yes it's tricky each company buys so much air time per week and those ads have to air and be accounted for. If they're bumped you have to have a darn good reason or risk losing the account.

I used to work for a radio station and we had to audit the commercials every week.

Yup you are correct Empress!

SC Johnson and Mead are all the same company. they are all owned by J&J. Huge budgets - however this is a product launch - so they are throwing more funds into this up front. I wouldn't be surprised if 6 months from now - they switch the campaign. Turn for consumer ads is much different then B2B. I also wouldn't be surpried that if in 6 months - the stop running all together. It would run longer if they didn't roll this out Nationally. They must have got great responses to both the product and commercial in Market research.

Archived