Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting the day out lazy, woke up at 630, back to bed till almost 9!! Then a bit of crochet, really just playing around, and something quick for breakfast, then tidy up, rained a lot, so don't know about setting in those plants, maybe this aft..

Got th fixins for our dinner, and daughter and handymanny will cook and serve!! yay!

Have a good day everyone, Ill be back on later, hopefully!!!!!!

Hi ladies!  Hope you all have had a nice Mother's Day!  My day was very nice. I got a call yesterday afternoon from my oldest son telling me that they would be visiting today, then this late this morning my other son called to say he was taking a ride out!  He only had his son with him, but I'll take that.  He's 14 and pretty soon those teenage years will really kick in and he'll be too busy for grammy, lol.

Oh!!!!  I got 2 very pretty squares in the mail yesterday!!!!! Thank you so much Katie!  I'll post pics tomorrow. I love both of them.  Could you share the patterns?  I don't think I have either one and they're great.

ok, gotta run.  have a wonderful evening everyone! (((hugs)))

your'e very welcome ann, and I hate to admit this, but...don't remember what they looked like, s o can't descibe the pattern, ha ha......Maybe when I see a pic! glad you got them though, that was super fast!! They estimated Monday delivery! Hope all had a nice day too, spent with family, and or friends. We had some iffy weather here this evening, tornado warnings for the area, but we escaped everything but heavy rain, and wind, and thunder and lightning, the worst went north west a bit from us, near Boystown..That is only about 5 or 6 miles from me, but far enough, I guess!!! had a lovely day with family, and a great chicken dinner and cherry pie, lol I love all fruit pies, but cherry is my fav of them. rTHEN, you have the cream pies, lol love those too......ha ha, I would prefer pie anyday over cake!! weird, I know.

Well,Im signing off, the storms  have pretty much moved through, but the rain is falling, gently now, not wildly pounding, lol. take care all, stay safe!

Good morning! Hope you all had a great mother's day! We got caught in quite the storm driving home from a party but got home safe! It was a wheel gripper!

Back to work and school. Picking up kiddles early to take her to her nose doctor appt.....back to daily bloody noses so we'll see what she says.

Have a great day!

kuddles

I had a wonderful day. I seen four out of five of my children. Son did call me which made my day. I usually get a text. So was very happy to hear his voice.

Invited boys mom down but of course she didn't come. Which is fine I guess. She tells everyone I'm her mother but really does the complete opposite . She's crap and I can't fix that . Over all it was a wonderful day. The Girls cooked all day and did all the clean up to. I get another special day on the weekend coming up.

Thank you for the two squares . I love them.

I had a pretty good day. spent most of it at work helping cook and clean for her families dinner. My kids made it home in time to go to church. Which my daughter tried to get out of. I just figure one day they will be parents and mothers/fathers day wont mean much to their children. I cant blame them to much though for a long time the ex didnt make any effort. he would say well  arent my mother. and wouldnt even take the kids to get me a card. So it is just what they have learned. Funny how they learn the bad behaviors alot better then the good. 

Off to work in a few. really dont want to go. Me and this woman are not getting along. A b big part of me is ready for a change in jobs but i have been here 3 years So I dont know.  Well Happy Monday....

Katy I havent seen them either.

Kuddles my step daughter used to get bloody noses all the time every day and at night while she slept. we were told her sinus' were drying out and she had to use nasal spray every day and a humidifier at night, seemed to help

morning....

rained almost all night, overcast,and rain today again, we're gonna build a boat!

lawn is getting so long with all this moisture, doggie has to really shuffle through the long wet grass, which she hates, lol.

Nice day yesterday too, other than the storm scare, but that was towards the end of the day. Least it waited till then, and didn't spoil everyone's mothers day too much.

Had a few tense moments when the tornado sirens began howling, though.

Stayin in most of the day probably, do some things i need to do, and relax a bit. so those of you out today,stay safe, and have a good day!!!

:manyheart well, up for discussion, do you want to do multiple (2) biggest squares in June, or go ahead and just stick with the one, till we are done (about four or five more biggest squares will be left if we go one a month, and then start the birthday bash fun??? Doesn't matter to me, whatever you all say, I will add up the YAYS AND NAYS, so you can just either pm me, or post, your preference here on this thread .  and thanks gang!! :ghug 

Hello,

Mother's day turned out very nice and very long. I didn't get t0 bed until almost 11pm and woke up at 4 am, but it was so worth it cause I had a great time with family and friends. 

Katie, I'm ok with doing one queen or multiple queens for June, I know thats not much help. Maybe everyone else will be more decisive than me :lol.  

Kuddles, hope all goes well with the doctor appt.

It's a work day and then home to finish cleaning up from last night and then collapse on the sofa until I fall asleep which will probably be pretty early. :sleep

Hope everyone has a great day.

Mother's Day was uneventful. The severe storms passed north of us but we did get some rain. And a rainbow! It was a vivid, full rainbow with a partial double-bow above it. The girls LOVED it!

As for this job thing, just when I thought it couldn't get worse.....Hubs called and told me that the clinic forgot to schedule the most important part of his physical! They "did what they could" today and he has to go back tomorrow. So, instead of being on his way home right now, he has to stay another night. That means he won't be home until Wed now. I am soooooooo angry!

And as for the training, the head of training called him to let him know that they are in the process of writing a policy that would allow people to go back without requalifying if they have been gone for less than 4 years. That's great since he's been gone for 3 years an 9 mos. The epic part of this is that its the government. Writing a policy. This could take a long time. It could take so long that by the time it is finished and approved, Hubs would be passed the 4 years mark and it will do him no good. The worst part about it? There is currently NO policy that dictates training requirements of rehires so they could do whatever they want. WHY do they need a policy to allow something that isn't currently prohibited???? Oh, government.....

ok group, keeping track, I have one so far, either way, and one for doing the five in five months for biggest square, instead of multiples,,,,,,, sooo score so far,

One on the fence.........

yes to multiple biggest squares to finsih faster, and start the birthday bash earlier...-------------------0

No, would rather do it one a month till everyone has a turn and start the birthday bash after that--------1

oh by the by, i have all the angels adresses, if anyone plans on sending out a card........contact me on pm please...

I hope to be mailing out a few more puffies tomorrow,,,,I will post the zips when i do...he he he!

I didn't wanna cut in on the Mother's Day fluff, so held this till now, three years, and two days ago, is when I started doing the thread, you know, carrying it forward when the previous gal that started it left......

Hello Squares…

On May 11, 2014, it was 3 years since I have done this thread!! To commemorate, I have a few facts for you about it since I took over..

First of all, I joined when the previous hostess/admin was still running things,(our thanks to her for starting the thread) and when she decided to leave the thread, (life sort of got in the way) we all said our goodbyes, and grieved a bit, and then, we all started to think HOW we could keep this going, as we enjoyed it, and wanted it to continue. Making, sending, and receiving squares was a passion for some of us, and we immediately began to put on our thinking caps…

In order for us to continue the thread, (which turned out the only way to do that, was to start a new one)so we decided to make a new thread, same subject, same people, and just move us all to a new “room” which with the help of our ville admins, Donna and Amy, closing the old thread for posting, turned out to be a quick, and fairly simple transfer!

However, it did take some time, and effort to acquire the members that were continuing with us, to get their current addys, and preferences, emailing members to get that info, and then emailing to let the members know where to “meet” once the new thread was open……Thanks to all of your that helped with that daunting task as well…

That happened on May 11, 2011, that is when I with patience and help, from all of you, took over said duties of the Granny Square CAL as it was called at that time…

Since that day, I have been here, in the thread at least once a day, if not more during some times, and have worked to keep the thread current of preferences, holding a list of all your addresses, for emergency use only.

A few things changed after that, we began the Biggest Square of the month, we changed the format a bit, (so did crochet Ville) now asking each member to be responsible for pm’ing their own chosen recipients of squares, instead of it being furnished by the host,(me) on the advice of some very conscientious and helpful people which for the most part, doesn’t seem to have affected our thread much at all .really as was first feared, thinking the element of surprise would be absent, however, we have discovered that the surprise element is still in tact, when the pm asking for an addy, is sent!

In May of last year, we had a “Free for All” in which those that wanted to participate got matched with another member, and didn’t know till the end, who was assigned their own name, till the squares got mailed, and all in all, it went well I thought, and if allowed, would love to do that again sometime soon.

We have all seen people come and people go, and out of the I think 23? Biggest Squares, ( think that number is correct, lol) there are a little more than half still with us on the thread…The others have moved on, either completing their ghans, or catching up with life in their own ways. I hoped it would be more, but that is still good, considering.

We have all gone through good times, and the times that aren’t so good as well, and the friends we have made here, in the thread, have always lent a patient and forgiving ear to our woes, as well as our successes!

I feel I know you all in a special way, even though we have never met.

At this anniversary of the thread, there remains only 5 left that are yet to become biggest squares(cut off was in march for biggest square) and I believe after Our

ANNIVERSARY People’s Choice Queen of the month of May, we will by then, have the vote in, as to either run duplicate biggest squares to finish faster, or five months more of one biggest square, and start the next wave of square making by doing Birthday bash. Open to one and all, only your birth month and addy/preferences required to receive squares from whomever wants to, for you birthday month!

When there are multiple members in a month, for instance, as always whom you choose to send to, one or all,is always up to you. At the one year mark of birthday month, we can then vote if we wish to return to Biggest Square, or keep on with the birthday club…It will be up to you.

I will ask those participating, (your Choice) for their birthday month . I did some research on that, and found it would probably be two queens for most of the months, with 3 in the same month only maybe twice, based on whom we have at the moment on the list, which seems do-able.

As always, it will be your choice as to weather you wish to participate, and whom you choose, either one of them, or all.. And as always, it is up to you, should you wish to send to anyone you choose, be it a queen(s) or another member(s)

Other than the above, I would like to thank those that have been here since before I came, and stayed with us through the transition, to those that joined after I took over, those that continue to join, and those that came and went and then joined again!  I thank you all, past, present and future members, for your time, commitment, patience, and talent, you are what makes this thread, well, one of the best, and most popular threads on the forum, in my opinion!

A special thanks to those of you that take the time to make squares, even though you are not collecting them. We have extraordinary members, with generous spirits, and so full of talent on this thread. Those that chose to send only, I call them, our angel list members! For these, a hearty THANK  YOU goes out to you.

I commend you all, for your continuing membership, your ideas, suggestions, patience, help, and giving and generous natures, your talent, time, and senses of humor, your laughter, and your tears, your compassionate hearts, and ears as well….. long live the Kingdom of Squares Of Yarn Hill, otherwise known as, this thread!!!!

Now, let us begin again, in this New month of May, in the People’s Choice Queen of the Month! Pick you queen(s) and let the squaring begin!! I would love to see your progress,and or layouts of all the squares you receive (d) from the help of our members here, and don’t forget the new thread that I opened here  for pics of completed afghans from our Biggest Square Memberts!! That thread is here! Check it out!!

And thank you one and all for participating, and joining us for grannysquare making!! They will never go out of style!!  Not if WE have anythijng to say about it, that is!!!

I think it should be fair to continue,so some of the consistently posting newbies get a turn

on the other hand there seems to be waning interest,anyway there I've said my piece

will go with the majority rule

thank you for my squares Katy,what was the variegated you used? its really nice

humm. another fence sitter, lol, thanks Linda for posting in on that... and I don't remember the varigated, infact, i don't remember the squares Linda, i have made lots, for the month of may,and can't recall the ones you got, hope they work for you though, lol.....

so fence sitters, that will roll with the majority......2

multifple biggest squares in one month,              0

complete the remaining five Biggest Squares to be in the following  five months ( 1 biggest square per month for five more months) .  1

there we go, the run down, keep it coming in, if you want your vote to count that is, lol      

Sandra,what the hec is a cherry eye on a dog, explain this pweety pwease!!

What is cherry eye in dogs?

All dogs have a third eyelid, which is also called a nictitating membrane, as well as two glands that produce tears to lubricate their eyes. The nictitating membrane, based in the lower eyelid, is a sort of secondary shield for the eyes. It protects dogs' eyes from wind, dust, and other foreign objects as they play or work. The nictitating membrane has its own dedicated tear gland. This tear gland produces anywhere from 35 percent to 50 percent of the total moisture in a dog's eye, and is thus an essential component to overall eye health in dogs.

Cherry eye in dogs occurs when the connective tissue that holds the gland in place is weak, faulty, or otherwise damaged. The nictitating membrane's tear gland comes loose and prolapses from its little pocket and out of the bottom or corner of the dog's eye, usually closest to the nose. This bulbous, fleshy, red protrusion of the gland from the lower eye is the primary symptom of cherry eye in dogs, and gives the condition its colorful, fruited moniker. If your dog has, or has had, cherry eye, you should be especially watchful. Extended or recurring cases of cherry eye can lead to decreased tear production and other eye problems.

Well, poor kiddles had to have her nose done....again...third time. She is not a happy girl right now! But it needs to heal and it can't due to the dryness. We have done the saline spray as was suggested, but this kid just has allergies which causes issues...bottom line, cauterized yet again and then every day of her life she needs to put a special lotion up there. She is very angry at life right now and thinks the entire world except me is mean. I feel so bad for her. So young to deal with this 3 times already!!!

Oh and my mom fell yesterday, yes on mothers day. Flat on her face. She is feeling okay but stiff and sore and scraped.

Oh then today I spoke with the absolute rudest parent in the world who basically treated me like a dog cause 'why am I talking to you!' when she found out I was the secretary. Uh cause I make the appts...that's why.

Oh boy debbie downer here! I'll get going before I ruin the mood for anyone!

kuddles

Hi Everyone!  I had a wonderful Mother's Day yesterday.  My oldest son called late Saturday afternoon and said that they would be out to visit in the morning, then late yesterday morning his brother called and said that he would be out with his son!  The girls stayed home with their mom and helped her clean the house, but hey, at least I got to see most of them!  Woot!  I had (quickly) made the 2 youngest girls each a hat too, which they both love, so it worked out great.  I posted about both hats in show n tell if you're interested.

Katie, I vote for staying at one per month until we are finished.  A new start at the beginning of the year sounds good!  

Hopefully if I do this right there will be a post of the two squares that you sent me somewhere in this message, lol.  I really love them and if you can remember what the patterns are I'd love to know.

post-16860-0-76300400-1399935423_thumb.jpg squares from katie (I love them!  Thank you again)

your'e very welcome ann, and I hate to admit this, but...don't remember what they looked like, s o can't descibe the pattern, ha ha......Maybe when I see a pic! glad you got them though, that was super fast!! They estimated Monday delivery! Hope all had a nice day too, spent with family, and or friends. We had some iffy weather here this evening, tornado warnings for the area, but we escaped everything but heavy rain, and wind, and thunder and lightning, the worst went north west a bit from us, near Boystown..That is only about 5 or 6 miles from me, but far enough, I guess!!! had a lovely day with family, and a great chicken dinner and cherry pie, lol I love all fruit pies, but cherry is my fav of them. rTHEN, you have the cream pies, lol love those too......ha ha, I would prefer pie anyday over cake!! weird, I know.

Well,Im signing off, the storms  have pretty much moved through, but the rain is falling, gently now, not wildly pounding, lol. take care all, stay safe!

Don't worry about it, I forget what I send all the time too, lol!  Be safe in all that stormyness!  Yikes I'd be so scared if there were tornado warnings all the time.

what happened to funnygirl, and jillipop, and viking?? anyone seen them around lately>??

I've been wondering too, haven't seen them...

I finished the second beach bag I was working on. Will take pictures today.

Woot!

morning....

rained almost all night, overcast,and rain today again, we're gonna build a boat!

lawn is getting so long with all this moisture, doggie has to really shuffle through the long wet grass, which she hates, lol.

Nice day yesterday too, other than the storm scare, but that was towards the end of the day. Least it waited till then, and didn't spoil everyone's mothers day too much.

Had a few tense moments when the tornado sirens began howling, though.

Stayin in most of the day probably, do some things i need to do, and relax a bit. so those of you out today,stay safe, and have a good day!!!

Our lawn is getting long too, well it was, lol, DH just mowed.  The ticks are awful this year!  Poor Juno is getting bit lick crazy and we are know to be one of the worst areas for Lyme's disease.

:manyheart well, up for discussion, do you want to do multiple (2) biggest squares in June, or go ahead and just stick with the one, till we are done (about four or five more biggest squares will be left if we go one a month, and then start the birthday bash fun??? Doesn't matter to me, whatever you all say, I will add up the YAYS AND NAYS, so you can just either pm me, or post, your preference here on this thread .  and thanks gang!! :ghug 

You got my vote already, lol....one to a customer please............

Hello,

Mother's day turned out very nice and very long. I didn't get t0 bed until almost 11pm and woke up at 4 am, but it was so worth it cause I had a great time with family and friends. 

Katie, I'm ok with doing one queen or multiple queens for June, I know thats not much help. Maybe everyone else will be more decisive than me :lol.  

Kuddles, hope all goes well with the doctor appt.

It's a work day and then home to finish cleaning up from last night and then collapse on the sofa until I fall asleep which will probably be pretty early. :sleep

Hope everyone has a great day.

So glad you had a nice Mother's Day!

Mother's Day was uneventful. The severe storms passed north of us but we did get some rain. And a rainbow! It was a vivid, full rainbow with a partial double-bow above it. The girls LOVED it!

As for this job thing, just when I thought it couldn't get worse.....Hubs called and told me that the clinic forgot to schedule the most important part of his physical! They "did what they could" today and he has to go back tomorrow. So, instead of being on his way home right now, he has to stay another night. That means he won't be home until Wed now. I am soooooooo angry!

And as for the training, the head of training called him to let him know that they are in the process of writing a policy that would allow people to go back without requalifying if they have been gone for less than 4 years. That's great since he's been gone for 3 years an 9 mos. The epic part of this is that its the government. Writing a policy. This could take a long time. It could take so long that by the time it is finished and approved, Hubs would be passed the 4 years mark and it will do him no good. The worst part about it? There is currently NO policy that dictates training requirements of rehires so they could do whatever they want. WHY do they need a policy to allow something that isn't currently prohibited???? Oh, government.....

(((hugs)))

What is cherry eye in dogs?

All dogs have a third eyelid, which is also called a nictitating membrane, as well as two glands that produce tears to lubricate their eyes. The nictitating membrane, based in the lower eyelid, is a sort of secondary shield for the eyes. It protects dogs' eyes from wind, dust, and other foreign objects as they play or work. The nictitating membrane has its own dedicated tear gland. This tear gland produces anywhere from 35 percent to 50 percent of the total moisture in a dog's eye, and is thus an essential component to overall eye health in dogs.

Cherry eye in dogs occurs when the connective tissue that holds the gland in place is weak, faulty, or otherwise damaged. The nictitating membrane's tear gland comes loose and prolapses from its little pocket and out of the bottom or corner of the dog's eye, usually closest to the nose. This bulbous, fleshy, red protrusion of the gland from the lower eye is the primary symptom of cherry eye in dogs, and gives the condition its colorful, fruited moniker. If your dog has, or has had, cherry eye, you should be especially watchful. Extended or recurring cases of cherry eye can lead to decreased tear production and other eye problems.

Very interesting!  

Archived