Don't Forget the Fall Swaps!

Hey, everyone! Now that school has started, and vacations are largely over (boo hoo), don't forget to swing by the Swap Forum and check out the fun swaps Crochetville has lined up for the fall and winter.

September sees two of our perennial favorites, the Shawl and Favorite Color swaps, offered, as well as a new one for coffee lovers, Java Jamboree.

October has the Scarf and Harvest Yarn swaps to get us in the mood for crocheting with thicker, warmer, cosier yarns. Everyone needs a new scarf to wear while jumping in those fragrant piles of orange and gold leaves.

And November sees us gearing up for Christmas, with the Holiday Gift Exchange and the new Stocking Stuffer swap.

Your swap hostesses as busy as bees behind the scenes, coming up with some new ideas for the 2012 swap schedule. We hope you'll join us for swapping fun this fall. And, as always, feel free to contact us with any ideas for swaps for 2012.

The Swap Hostesses (a.k.a. the Bevy of Beauties)

I was looking into this just this morning! ;) I was reading the rules/guidelines because I don't really know anything about it. Your autumn ideas sound wonderful! :manyheart

I am interested to see what the guidelines are for some of the fall swaps. I know I can't resist the two holiday ones. However, I am not sure what the color swap and some of the other ones involve. Those may be tempting. :)

Favorite Color is one of our most popular swaps. Your partner sends you a box of goodies, all in your favorite color! And who wouldn't want to get some nice garnet red wool or golden, thick, squishy acrylic to make a scarf or cowl in the Harvest Yarn swap? And shawls--the talent of the swappers always amazes me (yes, I have a mile-long WIM list because of previous shawl swaps).

Can you tell I love the fall swaps especially? Probably because it will be another 2 months before fall comes to the southwest desert, and I am so sick of the summer heat. I want to dream of crackling fires, hot cocoa, the faint smell of burning leaves...

Specifics re: how much to spend (and they vary between swaps) etc. are posted for each swap when the survey gets posted, so check when the swap you are interested in goes live. Otherwise, the general guidelines have a sticky at the top of the swap forum. And feel free to poke through the existing swap threads or archived swaps to get a feel for how swaps proceed, if you're new and unsure if you'd enjoy one. I guarantee you will!

My plan is for just one or two more swaps the stocking stuffer for sure then maybe the holiday gift exchange. I have to wait until we move into our new small apartment.

The Swap Hostesses (a.k.a. the Bevy of Beauties)

This cracked me up! :rofl Can someone tell me what a "Bevy" is exactly? :think Kinda sounds like a herd to me! :heehee

Not mentioning any names here BUT...I heard the Autumn Yarn Swap is the "Cat's Meow"! Oh my gosh...I crack me up! :lol

The new stocking stuffer swap sounds like a fun one. I've done the fave color swap before...It's a lot of fun. :U:yes

And since you mention suggestions, I just thought of one the other day...so here's a Swap Idea for the bevy of beautiful swap-moms to throw around, based loosely off a swap I saw via a blog I watch via facebook.... "Water Bottle Swap". I'm sure there's a better name. But the idea is that your swap has to fit into a water bottle (the 16.9 oz size). And yes, in the US you CAN mail a waterbottle...Here's a different site, who mails all sorts of what she calls "Happy Mail", and if the link works, a picture of a water bottle that she mailed: http://www.giverslog.com/?p=11114

The new stocking stuffer swap sounds like a fun one. I've done the fave color swap before...It's a lot of fun. :U:yes

And since you mention suggestions, I just thought of one the other day...so here's a Swap Idea for the bevy of beautiful swap-moms to throw around, based loosely off a swap I saw via a blog I watch via facebook.... "Water Bottle Swap". I'm sure there's a better name. But the idea is that your swap has to fit into a water bottle (the 16.9 oz size). And yes, in the US you CAN mail a waterbottle...Here's a different site, who mails all sorts of what she calls "Happy Mail", and if the link works, a picture of a water bottle that she mailed: http://www.giverslog.com/?p=11114

Love your water bottle idea! But if the water bottle turns out to be too small for a crochet swap, you could change it to a shoe box! We all have lots of those! :)

What a cute idea. Instead of a water bottle, since it would be hard to fit yarn, how about a pretzel jar. You know those barrel pretzel containers. They are light weight and you can fit yarn and all kinds of accessories in it.

One of my favorites has always been the favorite color swap. I go crazy looking for everything I can find it that person's color. Especially if they give me a specific color. I get yarn and crochet things but I also do my best to find some of the silliest things in their color. I find that one a lot of fun.

Crud, I really shouldn't be doing any more swaps this year but they all sound so good! Fall is my favorite so I really should celebrate my favorite season by swapping, yes? :lol

I would love to see a vintage themed swap! :hook

Hmm, a water bottle cosy--would fit into the KISS Cover Up swap we did last year, where people made cosies for various things like Kindles, chapsticks, coffee mugs, etc. Maybe a more specific KISS cozy thread for larger items like Kindles, water bottles, hot water bottles, etc.

Do you hear the gears shifting in my brain? :P

Patty

PS A bevy is a group, not a herd! LOL I do some volunteer work, and there are a number of us who always volunteer for one particular event, and we always get introduced as the Bevy of Beauties, and I love it.

Hmm, a water bottle cosy--would fit into the KISS Cover Up swap we did last year, where people made cosies for various things like Kindles, chapsticks, coffee mugs, etc. Maybe a more specific KISS cozy thread for larger items like Kindles, water bottles, hot water bottles, etc.

Do you hear the gears shifting in my brain? :P

Patty

PS A bevy is a group, not a herd! LOL I do some volunteer work, and there are a number of us who always volunteer for one particular event, and we always get introduced as the Bevy of Beauties, and I love it.

I think her idea is for a swap where things are put INTO a water bottle...not a cosy. :)

I love bevy of beauties, too. :yes

I thought of the water-bottle swap idea (yes, put things into the water bottle, slap a sticker-label on, carry it to the PO add postage...Legal in the US, probably wouldn't work internationally though [you'd have to package the bottle] and there are some weight restrictions inherent in "happy mail" as giverslog calls it)...and shared a link to a blog post that gave me the idea. Someone has since pointed out the size restrictions of a water bottle :) And my errands today took me to Aldi, where I picked up a can of those flavored "wafer sticks" (for lack of a better name)...Just the right size to cram in creative goodies :) hmmm, maybe a "creative container" swap...lol I dunno, it might not work in this forum, but I was just throwing it out there--maybe I need some more sleep, or chocolate :U

If about suggestions - I'd love Baby Swap. We could make baby clothes, blankets, 'ghans etc - and swap. A lot of people here make baby items for their own children, but also grandchildren, friends' babies or for charities. :yes

Thanks for the reminder!!! It will be nice to work in some richer colors and put aside the baby yarns for awhile. BTW, baby Breanna was born today (my great granddaughter) I will let her grandma (minx1966) give everyone the details. I also need a break from the remodeling, now that the kitchen floor is finally done. So I am heading over to the Swaps now and see what catches my interest.

Archived