ReniC

I am so loving crochet pillows right now.

I enjoy giving handmade items along with cash I give my older grandkids for gifts so I made this pillow as a birthday present to the granddaughter that turned 17 yesterday. Her room is medium blue/ brown. I hope this liked it.

The pattern is from the lovely Lucy in the UK at: Attic 24 and aptly titled Blooming Flower Cushion. I forgot to take a photo of the back but I did use her stripey back as she shows at the bottom of her post. Lovin it!

Yarn used was: Red Heart SS- Delft Blue, LionBrand-Pound of Love-Pastel Blue and Vanna's Choice-Chocolate. The pattern was very easy and I thoroughly enjoyed making it.

I made a pillow to go inside since I couldn't find one in my craft-store challenged town.

Last but not least- I made the pompom using the Clover Pompom Maker. So easy and so quick.

(Please excuse the brightness of the photo. I took it outside at 11am and the sun was way bright.)

post-17452-135897687724_thumb.jpg

Beautiful! Was it difficult to make? I have seen the pattern and it's on my list of patterns "to do"!

Thanks Deb!

The pattern was not hard at all and easy to follow. I made the front in a few evenings and the back in another few evenings. I did make it a point to count stitches. I say Go For It! :D

I am working on another pillow from one of the crochet mag's and I prefer Lucy's pattern.

I love that pattern and have it saved to do someday myself. Yours is beautiful and I like the addition of the pom pom in the center! I am sure your granddaughter will be thrilled. It is the perfect present for a 17 year old. They are usually very into decorating their rooms.

That looks wonderful, and after my hunt for a ruffled round pillow pattern, that may be the one I'll make as soon as I finish up my current stashbuster. After frogging a sweater I made and disliked, I'll have some lovely yarn for it. Your pompom is a cute touch, too.

That looks wonderful, and after my hunt for a ruffled round pillow pattern, that may be the one I'll make as soon as I finish up my current stashbuster. After frogging a sweater I made and disliked, I'll have some lovely yarn for it. Your pompom is a cute touch, too.

Hi Kay- Glad you liked the pillow.

I was originally going to use a big sparkly rhinestone button but could not find one I liked so, went with the pompom.

I played with the stitches a bit, especially the dc row after each petal row. I found that you can easily use hdc's instead of dc's to bring the petals closer to the previous petal row. It gives it a tighter look like a realistic flower.

Hi Kay- Glad you liked the pillow.

I was originally going to use a big sparkly rhinestone button but could not find one I liked so, went with the pompom.

I played with the stitches a bit, especially the dc row after each petal row. I found that you can easily use hdc's instead of dc's to bring the petals closer to the previous petal row. It gives it a tighter look like a realistic flower.

I was even thinking of using dtr stitches to make the ruffles deeper, but since I haven't even started the pattern yet, I have no idea whether that's feasible. In Joann's recently, I bought some cute flower-shaped wooden buttons on clearance for a quarter a card, and thought one of those might also work for the center. They're unfinished and could be painted to match, or left plain.

I was even thinking of using dtr stitches to make the ruffles deeper, but since I haven't even started the pattern yet, I have no idea whether that's feasible. In Joann's recently, I bought some cute flower-shaped wooden buttons on clearance for a quarter a card, and thought one of those might also work for the center. They're unfinished and could be painted to match, or left plain.

I am currently working on another pillow pattern from Crochet-Today called Petal Pillows with RHSS (stashed) in Lime, Turqua and Banana Berry. I plan on making it a bit larger than the pattern calls for though. This one is for the grand daughter turning 12 at the end of this month. I do believe I like Lucy's pattern better. It works up faster. I will post it when it is completed.

I would venture to guess I have painted close to 100 wood buttons, mostly with roses, and sold them. Love the roses still, no more buttons for me though.

Have fun with whichever one you decide on.

Thanks ReniC for the vote of confidence that I can make one! I will definitely be trying it soon! :cheer

Yeah- Can't wait to see it when completed!

I am currently working on another pillow pattern from Crochet-Today called Petal Pillows with RHSS (stashed) in Lime, Turqua and Banana Berry. I plan on making it a bit larger than the pattern calls for though. This one is for the grand daughter turning 12 at the end of this month. I do believe I like Lucy's pattern better. It works up faster. I will post it when it is completed.

I would venture to guess I have painted close to 100 wood buttons, mostly with roses, and sold them. Love the roses still, no more buttons for me though.

Have fun with whichever one you decide on.

The Crochet Today pillow is cute, too, and I'm looking forward to seeing your version with RHSS. I've always had trouble crocheting with yarn like the Light 'n Lofty the pattern calls for.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived