Black and Amethyst Bag

Nira

Made this bag for my niece. I'm a big fan of finding free lining material. This is an old work shirt of a friend. Traded some blue yarn I was tired of for it. It's great to have friends nearby who crochet as well. Since I'm actually pretty terrible at sewing it saves me from having to make a neat seam for the top since I use the bottom seam of the shirt for it. :lol This bag is a simple HDC done through both top loops worked in a round. Strap is also HDC, one line of black and then one of Amethyst. Used RHSS, which I always have a ton of.

post-48941-135897670224_thumb.jpg

post-48941-135897670229_thumb.jpg

Great bag! I do that too with the tshirts. I hate sewing and am awful at it so just turn a tshirt upside down, trim it to fit the bag and seem it up... voila! ;)

This one is really pretty. :)

Oh great, I have been using T-shirts for a long time, Soooo Why didn't I think to turn them upside down! Geez! I am so glad you posted this tip!

Very pretty -- I love how black and purple look together. My son's college colors are purple and white but they manage to work black into almost every uniform or T-shirt. His football uniforms always include black with the purple & white too. So, I have looked for several purple & black items to wear. This bag would look great with them! I will have to think about making my next bag in those colors! I like your idea of using old shirts for the lining! I don't know how many T-shirts I have bundled into bags for the Goodwill. I will save a few out for easy/free linings next time!

now why didn't I ever think of that? I've saved a couple cute tops, and a cute pair of DD's out grown jeans for projects (don't know what yet, just saving them), I even turned a worn out sweater into a throw pillow cover. My sewing skills also leave much to be desired :P

DH was just saying it was time for him to thin out his old T's...hmmm I just may have to stick a few in the "scrap fabric bin" :heehee

Cute bag, and clever idea, using the t-shirt! :applause

What a cool idea, the t-shirt lining! But now I will want to save more clothes and I'm trying to weed out things from our move to TN. :lol I love both bags, but the red.......ooh, la, la! That is my color favorite. Love the stitch you chose for it, too.

Nira, That's one of the most beautiful bags I've ever seen! I'm not kidding. It sounds pretty simple, but the end result is..... AMAZING! I would love love love to learn how you did it, heh. I hardly ever see flat bags and this one took the cake. Thanks for showing it off.

Archived