Pinwheel Sweater

amydepew

Oh I need to make one of these. I too am plus sized though. I did see where someone said to go a few more rounds before doing arm holes and I saw people adding more stitches to make the arm holes bigger. Which is best. I wouldn't mind it being bigger with more drape in the back as I like more coverage and I think that would make it more snuggly. I have a ton of ILTY in Old Leaf (my favorite color) that I caught on clearance and would like to use it for the sweater. I crochet very tightly too so I would have to move up a couple of hook sizes but would it look ok with not so tight a stitch? This is so awesome and should be great for any size too.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shana, I made the armholes on mine larger than the pattern called for, which gave me more stitches in the following row. I just decreased stitches in the next row so that particular section would have the same number of stitches as the other sections. Mine is made from ILTY and for ME its a little bulky. No one I showed it to feels the same way though so its just me. I used an I hook but if you crochet very tightly then you could go up to a J without any problem. ILTY drapes beautifully too! Post pics when you start yours. I think Old Leaf is a dark green but not positive. I love all the ILTY colors!

I think I will be ok with the weight of it. I do not like to wear coats because I am very hot natured but I like heavy sweaters and I love long ones so this is perfect for me. I think yours turned out beautiful!! I love Old Leaf and this pic is a hat I made with it. it isn't really dark but not really light either. It is just a cool color I think.

It is actually a little greener than the pic is showing I think. As far as hooks go I usually have to go up at least 2 sizes. I don't know why I crochet so tightly but I do. I have tried not to but to no avail. I will post a pic as soon as I can when I start it. By the way, do you have to do the fdc? Can you do a regular one. I haven't really looked into it too deeply yet.

YEs the Old Leaf is really pretty. Love the hat you made from it. My MIL used to crochet really tight like that too. I'd watch her actually fighting to get the hook through! lol Yes, I found that the fdc is a must because it actually forms the chain along with the row of dc. This gives you a smooth edge to attach the arms into. Watch the video thats posted on the first page of this thread. I watched it several times then actually wrote the directions out so I could refer to them as I did it. It took several tries then came pretty naturally. Its really cool to watch the chain and first row of dc appear together.

If you are warm blooded by nature then ILTY will be perfect for you!

Its pretty easy once you do it. When I first tried it I ripped it out, started again and this time it went smoothly

OK, I am at the part where I have to do the armholes but I wanted to post my progress so far. I am going to be watching that video over and over for a little while :think. I am using ILTY in Old Leaf and a K hook because I crochet really tightly. It has been so easy to work up but I haven't had much time as my little boy has been sick the past few days with a stomach virus. But he is mostly better now thank God for that with Christmas coming. I am hoping to finish this and wear it on Christmas but I am not really fast so we will see. By the way, it does lay flat but it is on my computer chair :yes

So how do you make it child sized...this would be the first time I would be attempting to drastically alter the pattern size.

Actually there is nothing drastic about it. If you know the measurement between the child's shoulders, use that width before making the armholes. If you are unsure, check out yarnstandards.com for general sizing (you will want to check out measurement 4 - Cross Back) or measure a shirt at a store. I have been known to do that more than a few times. LOL

How old is the child? I can probably tell you the appropriate dimensions right now.

Well, my granddaughter, Michelle, received hers on Christmas day and LOVED it! I am so glad, I was worried but she assured me she really loved it!

This is my progress so far, its taking me forever cause i have had little time to do anything. I think I will need another ball for the sleeves. Took some brain work to adjust the sleeves, but i did it and kept going in the right stitch count. Whew!

post-10186-135897610464_thumb.jpg

This is my progress so far, its taking me forever cause i have had little time to do anything. I think I will need another ball for the sleeves. Took some brain work to adjust the sleeves, but i did it and kept going in the right stitch count. Whew!

[ATTACH]32388[/ATTACH]

:yay It's looking great! Congrats on keeping your stitch-count straight through the early arm hole rounds. Keep going :cheer

Well, my granddaughter, Michelle, received hers on Christmas day and LOVED it! I am so glad, I was worried but she assured me she really loved it!

:clap Of course she loved it :wink, but I'll bet you were thrilled to hear the excitement from her, personally. Have you started another, yet? :lol

No, not yet. Another granddaughter asked me to make her a baby blanket for a March baby shower she is attending so am busy with that right now

[ATTACH]32388[/ATTACH]

Ohh....I like it a lot. What kind of yarn are you using?

My sweater is coming along great. I did something different where I had to increase for the sleeves to be big enough and I will explain it when I put pics up. But right now I have to wait for my camera to charge so I can transfer the pics from it to my memory card since I forgot to put it back in the camera. How is everyone else's coming along? I love looking at so many different ones on here. So neat.

LOL! It's like we are having our own little CAL for this Pinwheel Sweater. Can't wait to get started on my next one! I have some orders still to fill and am working on a couple of designs, but I really just want to be making one BIG circle! ;)

I am soooo excited I have to share.....

I have been eyeing this pattern for ahwile --hoping to get over Christmas and be able to order the yarn needed to make this.

Today the mail lady delivered to me 24 skeins total of 3 colors of yarn--hubby surprised me with it--was a late Christmas gift. I am so excited to start--but need to make some rectangles for our soldiers first before embarking on it...I cannot wait to begin this sweater.

I know there is no given size...does anyone know if it will fit me--I am size 16? if not, what alterations will I need to do ? Thanks

Archived