Pinwheel Sweater

amydepew

I am about a 14 or size XL top. The sweater pictured does fit me, but it's not the best fit. I really intended it for my mom for xmas...who loved it, by the way. Anyway, my suggestion would be to measure the distance between your shoulders, make your circle that big, and THEN start the round with the armholes. That will give you positive ease in the back, and will probably make the armhole section large enough. I am starting a new one soon too and can't wait!

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love this pattern and plan to make one as soon as I get caught up on a few other WIPs. I've been busy with Christmas and my son keeps asking when I'm going to finish his hoodie.

Anyway, a lot of people have mentioned shawl pins. How about an idea from Doris Chan--button closures. It's in the back of Everyday Crochet. A couple shank buttons, a dozen beads, and some Stretch Magic or other heavy thread. So many of the prettiest buttons are not washable. When you want to change the look or it's time to wash the sweater, just unbutton. Very easy. No buttonholes, just slip the buttons between stitches.

As I mentioned in an earlier post--hubby surprised me with yarn to make this sweater and I was thrilled to get enough yarn to make not 1 but 3!!!!. When I finally got the chance to begin, i realized it was the wrong size yarn :eek. So it is on it's way back to Annie's ---

From what others have said I may not get the correct yarn for a month as Annie's is slow in pocessing their orders.....Never ordered from them before now.......I don't wanna wait THAT long....:(

I feel like a lil kid waiting on "that" new toy---I want it NOW!!!!!!!!:P

So sorry you are not able to start your Pinwheel Sweater right away :hug May I ask what you mean when you say that you received the "wrong size yarn?" The reason I ask, is that I have made one with worsted weight {4}, and I am almost finished with one using sock yarn {1}, and I love both of them. Wouldn't the yarn really work? If that is not being nosy enough :lol, what colors are you ordering from AA to work with? Hope your order arrives quickly, and that you can be stitching along on a new garment in no time :hook

Hubby ordered sock size and in the original post said yarn size was 2 or fine. He had ordered sock yarn which was size 1 . so-----------

It is now on it's way back AA should receive it on Monday......

I cannot sit still and NOT crochet so looking for a small project till my yarn arrives....I have alot of ww but all different colors not any 2 skeins the same..

Well, the results are in...I just whipped up a sleeveless version of this sweater in bulky weight yarn and...I LOVE IT! If I would have had more of the rust color I would have made it bigger and added sleeves. But, you work with what you've got, right?!

post-18179-135897613947_thumb.jpg

post-18179-135897613953_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's pretty. I've started one in some Mainstays I've had lying around for awhile. It's a pale yellow and is working up quite nicely with the H hook. I'm just a few rounds from doing the armholes, I've had to unravel back several times to fix mistakes when I'd get distracted while crocheting. I'll probably find another color to do the rest of it in once I get going since I can't find Mainstays anymore, unless I can match the color I'm using sufficiently with something else.

I definitely had to increase the number for the armhole, I had 15 sts in the pinwheel part and had to nearly double that for the armhole. I guess I'll need to dec down when I get to the next round to keep the pinwheel even.

Well, the results are in...I just whipped up a sleeveless version of this sweater in bulky weight yarn and...I LOVE IT! If I would have had more of the rust color I would have made it bigger and added sleeves. But, you work with what you've got, right?!

Stunning :clap I love this take on the pattern, too. It is so, incredibly, versatile. Keep the versions coming :yay

I definitely had to increase the number for the armhole, I had 15 sts in the pinwheel part and had to nearly double that for the armhole. I guess I'll need to dec down when I get to the next round to keep the pinwheel even.

I doubled mine too but what I did was continued increasing and made two more sections after the arm holes. If that makes sense. It will give it more swing i would think but it is in an area where I think, as a plus size girl I need more room lol. I hope that is clear as mud :blush

I, too, added some extra stitches to the armhole area, and just kept going around the circle as usual. When laid out on the floor, you can slightly see where those two sections are a bit bigger, but it doesn't affect the look of the sweater at all. :)

Actually there is nothing drastic about it. If you know the measurement between the child's shoulders, use that width before making the armholes. If you are unsure, check out yarnstandards.com for general sizing (you will want to check out measurement 4 - Cross Back) or measure a shirt at a store. I have been known to do that more than a few times. LOL

How old is the child? I can probably tell you the appropriate dimensions right now.

She is 2 and wearing size appropriate clothing but I want to make it big enough for her to wear next year. Does the post I quoted before work for making it smaller as well?

I am about a 14 or size XL top. The sweater pictured does fit me, but it's not the best fit. I really intended it for my mom for xmas...who loved it, by the way. Anyway, my suggestion would be to measure the distance between your shoulders, make your circle that big, and THEN start the round with the armholes. That will give you positive ease in the back, and will probably make the armhole section large enough. I am starting a new one soon too and can't wait!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm soooo anxious to start this --BUT still waiting for my yarn from AA. I had never ordered with them before husband did for this yarn. We returned the yarn weeks ago as it was incorrect--- but still waiting...They have some awful LONG shipping process....UGH. :(

Archived