Pinwheel Sweater

amydepew

tempted to try this soon.....wished I saw it sooner for Christmas gifts----but there's always next year.

I was wondering about the hood...is it part of the sweater and attached later or is it part of the pattern? :hook

Yeah, the "hood" magically appears because the top half of the circle just folds down. I see no reason why one couldn't extend the circle even larger to make it even more of a "hood."

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok i got the yarn lol i am about to undertake my first ever adult crochet wearable LOL

someone burn a candle or something lol!!!

You will do it , we all have faith in you! I have my candles packed up, but if i didn't I would burn it just for you LOL!

Well I started one last night! This is to be a Christmas present for my 20 year old granddaughter. I am attempting this in Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn for several reasons --- 1) its sooo soft and 2) its the only yarn that I could find the color of pale gray I wanted the sweater to be in. I know, its worsted weight but if it doesn't work out then I'll just go somewhere else and find a sport weight yarn. This sweater works up so easily and quickly! I'm already at the armhole placement! Just have to watch the video again and work that out. The video is good but its hard to see just where she is putting the hook because her thumb is in the way! lol

My granddaughter wears a lot of grays, whites and blacks so I thought this beautiful pale gray would go with everything she has. I plan to trim it with a picot in black, but first things first --- actually getting it to that point!

Thanks for the pattern. You are so sweet to share this with us!:hug

PS --- to Rii ---- How did you do the flared sleeves on your sweater? I LOVE that idea!

Well I started one last night! This is to be a Christmas present for my 20 year old granddaughter. I am attempting this in Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn for several reasons --- 1) its sooo soft and 2) its the only yarn that I could find the color of pale gray I wanted the sweater to be in. I know, its worsted weight but if it doesn't work out then I'll just go somewhere else and find a sport weight yarn. This sweater works up so easily and quickly! I'm already at the armhole placement! Just have to watch the video again and work that out. The video is good but its hard to see just where she is putting the hook because her thumb is in the way! lol

My granddaughter wears a lot of grays, whites and blacks so I thought this beautiful pale gray would go with everything she has. I plan to trim it with a picot in black, but first things first --- actually getting it to that point!

Thanks for the pattern. You are so sweet to share this with us!:hug

PS --- to Rii ---- How did you do the flared sleeves on your sweater? I LOVE that idea!

I think ILTY is going to be just perfect. As you said, it's so very soft, and it will drape beautifully :yes I did a bit of a scallop edging on mine, though it is not too visible, as I did not use a contrasting color. Black picots sound lovely. Did you get through the placement of the arm holes? Have fun stitching :cheer

Ack! I did not read far enough to see the PS directed right at me :oops

Are you asking about the bell-shaped cuff at the end? When I joined the last round of the sleeve with a slip stitch, rather than finishing off my yarn, I:

Ch 23. *Sc in the Back Loop Only (BLO) of each chain back towards the sweater. Sc in the next Dc of the sleeve. Turn. (23 sc)

Sc in BLO of each sc to the end of the cuff. Ch 1. Turn. Repeat from * all of the way around the sleeve. Join with a sl st and finish off your yarn.

If you did not mean the cuffs, just ask again, and I will dig up the notes I made as I crocheted, and try to explain how I did the sleeves.

Thank you for asking.:hug

Rii, thank you so much! Yes, I did mean the sleeves. I can just see the bell shaped cuff on my granddaughter! I love them. No I haven't gotten to the armhole placement yet. Almost there but haven't had time to work on it at all today. I was just going to go look at the video again to make sure where the hook goes through the stitch. It looks like it goes through the 2 bars of the dc but I'll look again to be sure. Can't wait to see this done. Now have to find a large, pretty shawl pin for it!

I was wondering: what size are the arms made in? I am a XL kinda girl and I think this would be very useful as I get bigger (I'm pregnant and maternity clothes are hard to find.). If it isnt XL, could I use a larger hook for the arms???

leofrog80 ------ When I got to the armholes I did them as instructed then one row more I tried them on and they were somewhat small (my granddaughter is about my size but thinner) so I frogged it and did the armholes again adding a few stitches to the armholes. Then on the next round when I got to the section where the armholes are, I decreased a few stitches so that section would have again, the same number of stitches as the other sections. So far so good!

I was wondering: what size are the arms made in? I am a XL kinda girl and I think this would be very useful as I get bigger (I'm pregnant and maternity clothes are hard to find.). If it isnt XL, could I use a larger hook for the arms???

Lynn (next poster) has an excellent suggestion. I am an XL, too, and will have to make the armholes bigger for myself as well. The sweater I showed is for my mom. My plan on increasing the armhole size is just to add an extra round before I make the armholes. It will be a bit more drapey in the back between the shoulder blades, but that works for me, too. Any extra drape to hide my extra bulge. LOL!

This is so sweet. I have never made a sweater, but I have to have this...lol. Thank you for the pattern and I am getting the yarn today, so I hope you don't mind if I ask questions as I go??? :)

Tina:manyheart

This is so sweet. I have never made a sweater, but I have to have this...lol. Thank you for the pattern and I am getting the yarn today, so I hope you don't mind if I ask questions as I go??? :)

Tina:manyheart

I would love questions!!:D

So I have gotten about 6 or 8 inches past the armholes and am on my 3rd skein of ILTY. Beginning to drape really nicely! Can't wait to finish! I'll post pictures when done!

So I have gotten about 6 or 8 inches past the armholes and am on my 3rd skein of ILTY. Beginning to drape really nicely! Can't wait to finish! I'll post pictures when done!

:cheer You can do it :cheer Isn't it fun to see the sweater taking shape? It will not be long, now, before you can start working on the sleeves. That's great.

I've lost my ruler somewhere in the move and I'm at the point I need to measure before I start the armholes. When I get the armholes started I will post another pic. this yarn is working up beautifully. And I love the way the color changes. I would love to see more pics of sweater progress from other people working on it.

WELL..........had to frog mine, it doesnt look right, and its starting to curl and i have not done the sleeves yet. :(

May I suggest using a larger hook? A lot of times curling is caused by the stitches being too tight.

Well, I didn't realize there was a picture when I first responded. It looks like you might be putting in too many increases. It's starting to sort of look like a ripple.

That what my first thought was too! Only increase one at the first stitch after the ch 1. The ch1's give you the sections

Archived