Are Crochet Garments Going Out Of Style?

I've noticed a distinct lack of crochet clothing items in the stores in the last 6 months or so. I wonder if the crochet fad has run its course. I remember that crochet clothing became very popular around 1966 and by 1971 it was history (telling my age!) That was 5 years. Given the fast pace of fads in our present society I wonder if crochet can hold on much longer. Of course, there will always be afghans, doilies, and hats but I think the craze is about over. :(

I agree with you Roli.....I haven't seen much crochet in the stores either. But, on the bright side, crochet clothing will come back in style....it always does!

I'm still trying to restart a poncho fad. :D I love a good poncho but never see anyone wearing one. Too bad, I am finishing up one right now and I will wear it when the weather gets cool again.

I say we make our own fashion statement and wear as much crochet as we want! (Picture me on a soap box in the town square -- ;) )

I remember that crochet clothing became very popular around 1966 and by 1971 it was history (telling my age!) :(
You just gave me a flashback -- my grandmother's friend made her a jacket/coat out of granny squares, and my grandmother wore that thing for years! Precious memories ....

My favorite poncho pattern is still Martha's Coming Home poncho and the Groovy Granny Poncho (which is basically the same as Martha's without the trim). Also like the Blue Jeans poncho -- oops no that was a shawl.....sorry.

Maybe I don't see anyone wear them because I live in FL. We have a short chilly season. But still....they would be just as good as hoodies that I see everywhere. I am serious, I am trying to instigate a fad here.

well, people may not be able to find them in stores...but I can still make my own! :D

I think the direction may be changing, but I don't think the trend is quite gone yet. (this from someone who buys most of her clothes from TS's and usually only gets to "drool" at Target or Walmart RTW racks) At least, maybe I should say, I HOPE the fad isn't over already. if it is, I guess I'll just remain hopelessly out of style ;)

I'm still trying to restart a poncho fad. :D I love a good poncho but never see anyone wearing one. Too bad, I am finishing up one right now and I will wear it when the weather gets cool again.

I say we make our own fashion statement and wear as much crochet as we want! (Picture me on a soap box in the town square -- ;) )

I'm for that DebraKay! Actually, I always liked the ease of wearing ponchos. Some days are just too warm for a sweater but too cool for bare arms.

When crochet went out of style in the 70's and later, I just looked for patterns that simulated a knit garment. Sometimes a non-lacy stitch can

pass. But there was a time when all chunky knits were out and only the fine-gauge clothing was in the stores. :yes

In my dance center, I know for a fact that they are not going out of style. The problem with young people is that they do not have the patience for making a large garment (including me) and most of them have no clue how to do any fiber craft. Whenever someone shows up with something crocheted or knitted, wether it is a bag, legwarmers, or in the process of being something, they all think it is amazing. I am in the process of a vest, and even though I m not even party done, they think it is awesome and want one too.

They sadly don't have the access to the world of yarn, otherwise they would be wearing garments.

That was very long. =)

Crochet fashion is NOT dead. Kate Bosworth, Camilla Belle, and Charlotte Church have all been spotted wearing it recently. It's become more of a dressy casual, when-I-want-to-do-something-different look, not for everyday (although I would wear it every day if I had more of it in my closet!) :D

Check out this article:

http://www.shoppingthetrend.com/Summer-2010/summer-2010-fashion-trends-looking-chic-in-crochet.html

I don't think it's out style yet.

Avon is coming up with a crochet top later this spring/summer. They usually pay attention to trends (that's how I learn about them:lol). And I have saw trims.

I plan on wearing my crochet clothing when I can.

Ponchos are a rare for me to wear, but I have. My Martha Stewart poncho in Homespun is very warm and soft, I love it the first cold day of winter.

Just a side note, I wore my Green & White Short Sleeve Sweater one day, and it's short and my coworker mentioned how her mom made her Rib Ticklers when she was a kid in the early 70s. I had to google that. It's just a big granny vest (one on front and one on back). She remembers small granny squares around the bottom. You can find them under the name "Shrink" too. Groovy Crochet site has one.

I've made a ton of vests from the Groovy Crochet Site. They have some easy ones that made in today's yarn can look very nice (some are simple styles).

Debbi

Roli,

I agree with you, but I think that classic things will still always be in style & so will hats, scarves, etc. I remember still making vests. sweaters & shells with thread or thin yarn. And yes, they do look more like knit, but I like that look.

I never really cared for the big chunky yarn except for cowls & things like that. I'm not large, but don't want anything that's gonna make me look bigger than I am. I wish they'd come out with more #3 thread again. I used to use Speed-Cro-Sheen & Lustersheen all the time. I know DMC has some beautiful natural & blended thread, but it's pretty expensive. I also used to buy the #5 pearl cotton on huge cones from Herrshnerr's. They still have it, but the colors are very limited. No more black, just white & ecru! But I think we'll always find something to make to wear. Even if I do have to REALLY learn how to knit better....

Bev

BTW, I changed my profile pic, so hope people still know who I am.

I don't think that crocheted garments are falling out of style. I seem to be seeing them much more lately and have actually started to make some items for myself. Many thanks to all the designers out there who have listened to us Plus Sized gals and our desire for stylish patterns!!!

Perhaps we are not seeing crocheted garments in stores because of the activists who have (rightfully) brought awareness to the American public of the horrid working conditions of the poor ladies who made those items for a tiny fraction of what they are worth. A machine can knit a sweater... only a human can crochet one.

I get a mail order catalog from The Pyramid Collection, a new-agey type place that has all kinds of goodies from clothing to shoes to jewelry to gifts, and they have a few crocheted items in their latest catalog for this Spring. One of the tops is absolutely GORGEOUS, and I'm SO tempted to try to copy it, or at least give it a heck of a try. I don't know if I'll be able to enlarge a photo of the top enough to see close detail without having it get totally pixilated, but I'll give it a whirl. Hewere's a link to the top: Ginger Crochet Top and Choker - New Age & Spiritual Gifts at Pyramid Collection

I don't think that crochet clothing will ever totally go out of style, and, truth to tell, I LIKE it that not everyone wears it. A well-made crocheted piece makes an outfit really pop!

As far as I'm concerned, crocheted shawls never go out of style. And you can never have enough crocheted totes and purses. Really, I'm old enough to not care if the latest singing star approves or not.

That Ginger Top and Choker is beautiful. I'd love to have a pattern for something that fancy.

I really hope crocheted garments aren't going out of style. There are so many pattern stitches and colours to play with. My poor children are usually the recievers of such gifts so I can play around with sizing and such.

Hugs and Cookies

If you look at the fashion mags, some of the "big" designers are still putting crocheted garments down the catwalk....doesn't look to me like they are out yet! Probably just the kind of garment it changing. I have seen some crocheted dresses in some of the mags lately.

Archived