Some good clean fun?! [Archive 1]

Thanks for all the warm welcomes. Didn't get much done today, but 3yo will be out of the house tomorrow, so I'll be able to catch up while she's gone (and rack up some much-needed crochet time).

Scooby, thanks so much for all the great cleaning tips! I think I'll stop calling it "cleaning" and use the term :devil "crochet reward program" :devil. It makes it sound more enjoyable, don't you think?

darski- Donating rescue dolls is such a wonderful idea!

I hope everyone has a wonderful night!

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are all quite welcome for the cleaning tips.I use these cleaning tips/tricks all the time, or when the need arises. Some of them I learned from the ladies that I cleaned for when I had my business, others from my grandmother, aunts,mom and friends. Boy did they make my job much easier/faster, and even for my own personal cleaning here at home.

HAHAHA HA HA HA thats what you get for washing your curtains! Not you have to spend nice yarn money on new ones! Cleaning is dangerous ladies.

For the record I LOVE Scooby's tips I just think she is kidding me. :devil I am going to try the toilet vinegar thing cause I have horrible hard water maybe that is so hard to clean. You can scrub all day (yeah like thats gonna happen) and still those buggers are laughing at me!

What I need is a cleaning service BUT I would have to clean before I even let them in the house! I am a lost cause folks. :(

:lol:lol No, I am not kidding you :devil. If you have hard water and it leaves a buildup/ring/stains your toilet you can also use a pumice stone, IF and ONLY IF your toilet bowl is porcelain and is white/unpainted. In fact there are commercial pumice stones made just for this that you can buy at janitorial type stores/carry janitorial products. Another quick tip for hard to clean toilets. Pour a bucket of water in your toilet (don't flush) as this will force all the water to drain. Apply a commercial toilet bowl cleaner (like lysol brand) to the entire surface of the bowl. You should see the stains etc immediately begin to fade. Take your brush, do a little scrubbing and flush. You are done!!!! Commercial toilet bowl cleaners are very strong/poweful especially when they are not diluted with water in the toilet bowl.

Scooby thankyou for the cleaning tips. I was just wondering if they could be put near the first of this cal so we could add to them and be able to find them?

Tomorrow it is going to rain here so i guess i will try and get a couple of things done inside. If not then i will just :crocheting:devil

Have a good night everyone

That would be nice if they were all in the first post, but I am not the original poster of this thread, so I can't do it. Sorry. LeaAnne would have to copy and paste them there if she so choses to.

:lol:lol:lol Colleen about sponges in dishwasher. In the houses that I cleaned, the ladies would put them on the top rack and just run them through. But, like I said, I don't have a dishwasher so I just boil them on the stove in water with bleach, while I mop the kitchen floor as that is usually the last thing I do in the kitchen.

Think I am going to go :crocheting for a while, just wanted to stop in and check on everyone!!!! Have a great nite ladies!!!!:hug:hug

Never did get to that baking today :blush. But I finished my towel :devil. I really like this pattern. This one is for me :). It is made from Bernat Handicrafters in Potpourri Ombre. I think the yellow one is prettier, but this is practical. I used just about 3 1/4 oz.

post-12231-135897406361_thumb.jpg

Maybe I'll bake tomorrow :think.

:waving

hi, all-

sorry i missed you today... I will catch up with all the posts tomorrow...

I wanted to :welcome IrishRose & Kel :clap to the gang!

Just from the quick read through, I can tell you are both a perfect fit here! :heehee:lol Crochet-foreplay & Crochet overdraft...TOO FUNNY! :rofl :rofl

today was a busy day. No housework:D, but no crocheting either:( My second daughter turns 11 on Sunday, so after the "Cookie table" at school, I spent my day shopping for the impossible child:lol... just kidding! she is a very cool kid. I went store to store looking for Hello Kitty things for her. It makes me laugh, I loved Hello Kitty when I was her age.... weird. After that, I took my oldest DD to the doctor. It appears that she has sport induced asthma... we'll see if the diagnosis/treatment works for her. Then, off to the ballfield for a softball game for the team that DH and I coach together (Oldest 2 DD's play on the team). Then a "beverage" at an assitant coach's house...and here I am!

Scooby: Thanks for the tips... I can't wait to try them all! :hug You ROCK!

All-

In the first post you will see a section for the patterns that we share, as well as cleaning tips... Scooby's list is already copied there:yay

well, I am beat... I will see you all tomorrow, in between cleaning for DD's birthday sleepover, T-Ball, another softball game for my 3rd DD, who plays on a minor league team (and since I am friends with the coach, yup.. helping them too:blush) :xfin that I get some :crocheting time as well :devil.

Nitey-Nite!

:ghug

Hi LeaAnne! Thanks for the welcome! It's funny that you mentioned what I wrote earlier, b/c I changed it. I didn't want everyone to think I was tacky! :2blush You sound like a busy bee. How do you find time to clean or crochet at all? That takes dedication right there! :wink I also want to thank you for putting Scooby's tips on the first page so they're easy to find. I'm definitely going to try some out. Maybe tomorrow. :yes Maybe not. :no

Well, good night all. I'm going to :sleep!

Well I couldnt sleep so I finished the dishtowel. I think I messed up a the end but I hate frogging so its unique! The color looks awful but all I had was my cell phone to take pic.

post-25964-135897406395_thumb.jpg

Coleenka & Foster Mom - I love your towels!:crocheting

Beth - you definitely get some extra crochet time for "boys bathroom duty", at least in my book you do!:h5

:birthday(on Sunday) to a_stitchintime's DD!

I cleaned out the fridge today, sink is shined & dishwasher is running...soon I will mess up all my hard work by baking chocolate cupcakes.

Sometime today I need to de-lint the laundry room. :blush

Whew!:sweat I spent about 3 hours today taping and mudding the drywall in my DD's bedroom. I used an entire gallon of mud. My DH kindly ran off to the hardware store to get me another one for tomorrow. Isn't that thoughtful of him?

I'm going to shower and sit with my :hook and :yarn for the rest of the night.

Nice towel, FosterMom.

Welcome Kelly! Good luck de-linting. That stuff just gets everywhere, doesn't it?

Happy Birthday to LeaAnne's DD!

Beth, you have been busy! Cleaning the boys' bathroom and drywalling! You've earned your evening of :crocheting.

Well, I did my baking this morning. Mary, since you asked, I made a rhubarb cake with the rhubarb my mom brought me and a pan of banana bars (DD is "not that into" bananas right now, so there were lots of ripe ones). Then I cooked up what was left with the rhubarb for topping. I definitely had to clean up the kitchen after all that!

Otherwise, I haven't done much other housework today. I'm very sleepy and worn out feeling again today--can't decide if I'm doing too much cleaning or too much :crocheting? :think Must be the cleaning, right?

Hope you are all having a great weekend!

Hi all

I didn't get too much done today either. Power went out for about an hour and half this morning. I was just making DH a coffee and me a tea when it went. It was our second round. We went to a couple of yard sales ( it was raining really hard here) didn't get any thing. I made supper, got the dishes soaking and now i thought i better get on computer incase power decides to go out again.

I was talking to oldest DD and i was telling her about this group, because i had my MIL with me today DD wanted to know does that count as extra crochet time?:devil I said i would ask and let her know :devil

Fostermom ... your towel looks great

Colleen..... WTG on the baking. Iam not a baker or really a good cook. But i do love to crochet :cheer

Well i have not even picked up my:hook yet today and i can hear my :hook and :yarn calling me.

nite all

Well it was a very busy day for me. I had to empty a desk and small table from my room to make room for my new computer table. A friend and I managed to get the desk here and get it back together. :eek I am having to relearn how to use my keyboard and my mouse as they are now in different places than they were yesterday. :think

I also managed to lug the wooden trunk down to the entrance so it could be picked up by the freecyclers. I think that was what did me in so a nap seemed to just happen.

I debated whether to work on the doll bassinet but that is very demanding with two strands and a large hook so the kitchen towel won the draw for the crochet reward. I will try to get a pic tomorrow. I really like the look of it but I have never used one before so I will see if it works as well as all the other cotton stuff I have been making lately. This cotton crochet is very addicting.

Well... I am off to play some Civ3 as a treat and to get comfortable with my changed hardware. :grump

:rofl

I'm going to put on my :grump hat for a sec.

Could you please enlarge the font for the cleaning tips in the first post and make them black or some more readable colour?

I finally just copied and pasted into Word so I could make them visible.

I would guess that there are more than a couple of us who need all the help we can get with reading posts. :grandma

I do understand that people like to be artistic in their presentation but it cuts down your readership :rofl I would be doing the same thing if I could see them to type. :wlol

Good evening all!

I had a very busy day today. Got up early and exercised. Cleaned living room, kitchen and one bathroom. We had company tonight, but DH grilled steaks, so I didn't have to cook.:woo I have no idea what we're wearing to church tomorrow, but I'll just run around crazy in the morning! Right now, as much as I'd love to pick up my :hook and :yarn, I think sleep would be the greatest reward. But I have some serious :crocheting time to catch up on tomorrow! Good night.

:waving, all!

:irk I had this all typed in already, and got "bounced" from my internet... Doesn't that make you CRAZY when that happens?! Well, anyway, here goes again (but what the heck? You all sure are worth it! :manyheart):

First, I would like to apologize for the font in the first post:2blush... I didn't even think about it being too small:oops and I wear reading glasses:oops :think go figure. anyway, if you all could check it out and make sure it's what we want that would be great. Thanks, Darski, for pointing it out... this CAL is actually my first experience with adding to the first post, so please, everyone! Help me learn well:hug

Wow! You all have been busy :bee :bee!

Hey, Beth - cleaning the boys' bathroom & a gallon of drywall mud in the same day :?Are you KIDDING ME:? :nworthy that has to earn 3 days of :crocheting time!:rofl

Colleen - That rhubarb cake smells pretty good! :devil My mom used to make rhubarb pie, and strawberry rhubarb jam, but I've not heard of cake before.

And the :yawn:yawn HAS to be from the cleaning :wink:devil

Wow, Darski - you are on a tear, girl! WTG! and congrats on getting that trunk out and the desk in ... sounds like it was a lot of work! :sweat

Hey, Mary - :lol did you tell your DD that the answer is: "Uhh... YAH!".... Sounds like your DD is very smart :wink:yes

:hi, Kel - hey, let me know when you plan to de-lint your laundry room... I need a :kick to get that done here, too:D

FosterMom - I really like how your towel came out, and the fact that it's now a "one of a kind" it's even more special:yay WTG!

hey, there, IrishRose! :lolI do see that you changed your post...It's still funny! :lol (Although, I DO tend to get more excited about cleaning than I used to! :rofl)

Stacy - I am glad that your dh's cousin is home (although it sounds like the insurance gave him the boot from the hospital:angry)... keep us posted on how he's doing, and make sure you remember to take some :crocheting for yourself, if for no other reason than to de-stress :hug

Joanne - I hope your dinner went well the other night, and that you are having a great weekend!

and Scooby - :ty again so very much for sharing your tips with us:clap I have added vinegar, rubbing alcohol, baking soda and denture tabs to my shopping list :cheer

It was very sweet of you to share :manyheart:hug

Lastly, My DD, Lindsey, would like to thank you all for the B-Day wishes!

You are all great friends :ghug I feel blessed to "know" you all!

Sleep Well! :night

Good morning all!

I had a great evening Friday night with my friends and didn't get home till after 10- so no cleaning or :crocheting on Friday.

Yesterday, i began the dreaded switching of winter clothes to summer clothes project, cleaned the bathroom, kitchen and living room. Then went to DD and SIL's house in the afternoon for some quality time with them and DH. :manyheart

Sounds like everyone has been busy! I am having my:coffee and enjoyed reading everyone's posts here.Love, love, love all the cleaning tips Thanks for posting them on the 1st post and i am definitely going to try some of them. :clap

As soon as I finish my :coffee, it is time to get it in gear and go up to the attic and get down the summer clothes and finish switching the clothes once and for all!:yes

I love how the towels are coming out and I will be :crocheting one too!

Have a wonderful day!

So I got a little lazy at the end :shrug and made a design instead of all those rows of sc :rofl

post-4896-135897406663_thumb.jpg

Actually, I just sort of winged this one from the stitch pattern but I do like it.

imanurse -- :cheer Doesn't it feel great to get a dreaded job DONE!!!

darski -- :manyheart the towel. My stashbusting score doesn't need any more yarn, and I don't have any cotton, but I'm going to save that pattern. I :heart all of them that have been posted.

Does grocery shopping count? Or at least putting up the groceries?

Happy Sunday to all! :clap. I did not do much on Friday night, but yesterday I did the grocery shopping. Then I did my running around. The bank, the post office, lunch, you get the idea. When I came home I ran one load of laundry and folded 2 others. I vaccuummed and I made some pasta salad and some hamburgers for dinner. Cleaned it all up and listened to my DD play with her friend all night! This morning I have done one load of laundry and have another in the :wash as we speak. I still need to do some more research for my paper, which I will tackle later.

Hope everyone has a great Sunday!

WTG Joanne on getting those clothes switched out! Sounds like you are having an enjoyable weekend with the ones you love, too. :yay

Love the towel, Darski. This is a very versatile pattern--looks great! I love the colour!

So far today I have washed my DD's bedding (still need to re-make the bed), cleaned the kitchen sinks, wiped down the garbage can in the kitchen, folded a load of laundry, and search high and low for DD's missing toy cell phone only to find it in between the couch cushions :lol. I'm not done, either. I am feeling good and energetic and there is dusting to do and floors to mop. I'll be vacuuming today or tomorrow to :yuck

Well, I am going to add a challenge for myself for this HAL/CAL and I welcome you to join me. I am assigning a 2 minute job to each day of the week. If the job is done once a week, it is never more than a 2 minute job. If you don't do it, it either never gets done or becomes a big job. We could do a joint list where the jobs are very general and people can make it fit their life as needed. Or, we could each have our unique list that reflects our needs/schedule. Here is my first quick thought on what my list might be:

Monday - Declutter your clutter spot

Tuesday - Clean the kettle or coffee maker

Wednesday - Windex the mirrors (or use alcohol or vinegar :))

Thursdays - Declutter another clutter spot (clutter is an issue for me :blush)

Friday - Clean up the newspapers and flyers

Saturday - Wipe something down - for me it will be the kitchen chairs

Sunday - Clean out the fridge (our garbage day is on Monday)

None of these are big tasks, especially if you do it once a week. You might set the timer too, so if your clutter spot requires 20 minutes to declutter initially and you give it 2 minutes a week, it will eventually be clutter-free. Might take 10 weeks, but it will get there :yes. The best part of all: we earn :crocheting time and (I'm guessing) make life a lot easier.

What do you think?

Well, I'm off to get more done so that I can get out my :hook and :yarn this evening. Happy :crocheting!

:hi:hi Everyone!!!!! Looks like everyone is having a great weekend so far. :devil:blush I haven't done any cleaning this weekend :lol. Just general pick up and dishes. My goal this week was to get my house cleaned before the weekend and I did it. We were having bad :stormyesterday, so I wasn't on the :compute much so I just grabbed a :hook and :crocheting while listening to :book on my :ipod. Looks like we will have more :stormor :rainagain today. This weather has been like this for over two weeks I would like to see some :sun.

:yes:yesGood idea Colleen. My china hutch/table is always my clutter area. All mail gets deposited there along with whatever else comes in. I am bad about laying books, mail, etc on the table and then I transfer it to the china hutch when I am preparing the table for meals.

:(Vicki- I will even be happy :D for you when you get that research paper done, so you can toss that dreaded APA manual to the side. I sure can sympathize/empathize with you. In fact I put mine away, hidden in the closet, as I don't want to look at it again this entire summer.

Darski- Love the towel!!! :cheer:clap:yay I like the edging/border you used!!!!

Joanne- :clap on getting those clothes changed out. I am going to have to do that too. Usually all of my clothes stay out year round, but when we had to move for remodeling my summer clothes stayed packed away. :think I hope they are in storage. Guess that may be one of my big chores for this week: Go to storage building and get summer clothes.

:ty LeaAnne for moving everything to the first post and adjusting the font size!!!! I will try to help inform you when I post any more so you can move them. I thought of a few more yesterday and now I have forgotten what they were:kick. I will have to start keeping a small :nbook and :pencil with me so that when I am just randomly thinking and one comes to mind I can jot it down:lol:lol.

I hope everyone has a great Sunday!!!! For those of you doing the WIP week CAL- I will probably be posting some :photo today. I have been trying all week to get some posted but I think today is finally the day, as I have finished a lapghan and a scrap ghan!!!!!

Colleenka, another great idea! I've already got some special chores assigned to certain days of the week, but I had a few free spots. I think I may go with...

Monday - wash sheets

Tuesday - wash towels (I have 2 lifeguards in the house, and swim towels try to become science experiments if they aren't hunted down and washed regularly)

Wednesday - scrub bathroom floors

Thursday - house blessing (for those who know Flylady)

Friday - clean trash cans

Saturday - clean frige

Sunday - grocery shop

BTW, how is your DH's back?

Vicki - congrats on getting so much laundry done. Sounds like you stay busy with it. Do you have a large family?

Scooby Doo - you say you didn't do much, but picking up and washing dishes should definitely count as housework.

I used the second gallon of mud on my DD's bedroom ceiling. I ran out with about 4 more feet of taping to do... :thair I'm sure my DH will be happy to run out and buy more mud for me, once he gets home, as long as I'm willing to crawl back up that ladder to finish. This is the first coat. I have to let it dry, then sand, clean, and apply a second coat.

I have to admit that I wouldn't get working on this if it weren't for this CAL. SO :hug:ty:2hug

Archived