Some good clean fun?! [Archive 1]

Believe it or not, I was in such a rush to get the blanket in the mail to my friend that I actually forgot to take a picture :eek! How could I do that!?! Her birthday was on May 9th, so I knew I had to get it out to her, and my daughter had her friend over, so I was a little under the gun to get there before it closed. :sigh It was pretty, it was a light and dark strand of purple held together. I got the pattern out of a book that uses big hooks for the afghans. This one was a p hook. My daughter saw it and said now she wants one in the same colors, so I guess when I finish that one I can post. If I remember I will post the wrap when I am done with it!

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, Vicki, please post the wrap when you are done :yay. The blanket sounds lovely. I love purple. I would love to see what everyone is working on!

Well, today was officially a holiday, so I'm going with that as my excuse. I did the usual preparing of meals and cleaning up the kitchen. I made playdough for DD's preschool tomorrow. I went to the park, had a nap, and finished a hat I was making. And tonight it is the season finale of Big Bang and How I Met Your Mother, me and DH's only agreed upon TV night. I think Two-and-a-half Men and Rules of Engagement might be on too :think. Looks like it's a wash! But I did do my 2 mins of decluttering and the end is in sight for that dining room counter.

I'm going to have to get myself in gear. We have the ultimate cleaning motivator coming up...company is coming, company is coming! Saturday night! The cleaning won't be a problem (despite what it may look like here, my house is kept fairly clean..it's just a big job to do it), but I need to plan the menu (this causes me more stress than it should). We just do snacks and then late in the evening have a desert. So, hang in here with me this week, ladies. I'll need your support.

Happy Monday Evening!

Since I'm hinting to see your pics, here is one of my WIPs. It's a ripple that I'm making in navies, blue camo, red and greys. I had these colours in my stash, but all one skein or less, so I'm mixing up the number of rows per colour to allow for the odd colour that I only have one row of. I want your opinion on something. This blanket is about 41.5 inches wide. Is that too narrow for a throw for a 10 yo boy? The more I work on this the more it makes me think of my nephew who loves blues, the police, firefighters, etc.

post-12231-135897407279_thumb.jpg

[quote name=irishrose;1740704

OK' date=' here's my big task for the week: On Thursday, I will spend 20 minutes getting all my crochet patterns in order. (10 min to gather them and 10 min to put them in a binder) Anyone who wants to join me is welcome, but I want to hear (I mean read) about it. Are you up for the challenge? You could also do a little each day until Thursday, whatever is best for you![/quote]

Hi all- I'm in for Thursday- calendar is marked- I started putting printed patterns in a sheet protectors and actually have a 3 ring binder I used at Rutgers last year. Right now I have patterns saved on my laptop in my favorites so I really should organize them into folders- I'm all about not printing unless I have to. I think I'll need more than 20 min- but hey, gotta start somewhere! I spent my 5 min on the kitchen table mail clutter- got rid of a stack of old mail and the mail that came in today was either thrown out (junk), shredded or put in the basket by the computer. Should have all the old mail decluttered in a few days- great idea to do it in small increments. It's not such a daunting task that way.

Today at work was horrendous- so I earned double/triple :crochetingtime. I am a supervisor and 3 of my staff were not in. One was scheduled off and 2 of them called out. (I have a total of 6 employees on my team and I was short one employee to start with. So that left 2 employees on my team today. Plus, my new staff member started today. Just not a good day.

One of my employees asked me as we were walking out if I was going to :crocheting tonight to relieve my stress!! She knows me very well:lol So that is what I am going to do:hook:yarn

Looking forward to a better day tomorrow:yes

Have a good night ladies!

Since I'm hinting to see your pics, here is one of my WIPs. It's a ripple that I'm making in navies, blue camo, red and greys. I had these colours in my stash, but all one skein or less, so I'm mixing up the number of rows per colour to allow for the odd colour that I only have one row of. I want your opinion on something. This blanket is about 41.5 inches wide. Is that too narrow for a throw for a 10 yo boy? The more I work on this the more it makes me think of my nephew who loves blues, the police, firefighters, etc.

[ATTACH]1646[/ATTACH]

I love the ghan and love the colors- I'm not too good at estimating sizes but it could always be used as a lapghan, right? In any event, I love how it is turning out:clap

I cleaned the downstairs bathroom, washed all the rugs & hand towels. Again. Even though its just a half-bath, it gets alot of traffic. I wanted to lock the door when I was done!!!

I am so on board for Thursday & getting crochet patterns, books, etc together, great idea!

Hi all- I'm in for Thursday- calendar is marked- I started putting printed patterns in a sheet protectors and actually have a 3 ring binder I used at Rutgers last year. Right now I have patterns saved on my laptop in my favorites so I really should organize them into folders- I'm all about not printing unless I have to. I think I'll need more than 20 min- but hey, gotta start somewhere! I spent my 5 min on the kitchen table mail clutter- got rid of a stack of old mail and the mail that came in today was either thrown out (junk), shredded or put in the basket by the computer. Should have all the old mail decluttered in a few days- great idea to do it in small increments. It's not such a daunting task that way.

Today at work was horrendous- so I earned double/triple :crochetingtime. I am a supervisor and 3 of my staff were not in. One was scheduled off and 2 of them called out. (I have a total of 6 employees on my team and I was short one employee to start with. So that left 2 employees on my team today. Plus, my new staff member started today. Just not a good day.

One of my employees asked me as we were walking out if I was going to :crocheting tonight to relieve my stress!! She knows me very well:lol So that is what I am going to do:hook:yarn

Looking forwar to a better day tomorrow:yes

Have a good night ladies!

Oooohhhh...I wish I could! My patterns desperately need to be organized, I have some here and there, they are all in plastic sleeves, thankfully, but they really need to find a safe place in my desk. Unfortunately Thursday is Mommy and Me, then there is a volunteer luncheon at my daughter's school. So I probably won't be home until 3 or so...maybe I could do it at night...:think I will have to spend the next couple days hunting them down. That would count as organizing, thus equaling new yarn. :yarn:devil

My apartment is a wreck- I have spent my free time in the past week working on the Lace Wrap Top. :blush It is super cute, though. I couldn't find Symphony, so when I found Bernat Cashmere on clearance for $1 :eek:clap I bought every ball they had (I think there were 13.) Somehow I added the yardage wrong and I am 3 balls short- I found 2 more unlabeled skeins when I went shopping for dh's birthday gift today, so hopefully I will have enough. I've checked 2 other Michael's and they are all sold out.

I should probably clean something to justify making this. :lol

Btw, Scooby- thanks so much for all of your cleaning tips! I use mostly all-natural cleaners (baking soda, lemon, vinegar, etc.) so I really loved the one using alcohol and water for the mirrors! That has been my biggest problem, as having 3 kids, the mirrors are always nasty and vinegar just leaves big streaks. I will try it soon!

Colleenka -- love your afghan! Those colors look awesome!

Stacy -- that is a beautiful wrap pattern. Thanks for sharing the link.

Kel - congrats on the clean bathroom. Isn't it great to have that job done? I wish it would stay that way once clean.

Vicki - can't wait to see your afghan!

Hey, all!

I am not lost... I have just been on a cleaning mission (:ghug:ty guys! you are all my inspiration!)

today was general clean-ups and my :yuck job of the day, I am very proud to say, was that my overflowing full sized hamper of clean:socks mess is gone!!!! :yay all 55 pairs:eek

How happy will I be tomorrow (and the next day, and the day after that...) to not have to go fishing for 4 pairs of socks to get the kids off to school :woo Here's my pledge to myself: I need to send all :socks into the :wash in pairs... if they don't come out as a pair, I am pitching them out (you know that whole lost in the dryer mystery :shrug that has plagued women for generations :rofl)

Bonus: I think I have found my extra 2 minutes (times 4) to de-clutter!:jumpyay

WTG, Beth on all that Mudding... you should take a day off for yourself :devil OH! and :(sorry I missed all of that :dance:elle :elle :dance yesterday! I was glad to do it for you a little late, though :wink

Joanne, so sorry about your crappy day :hug... and for the record, you are spot on... the Celtics looked AWFUL last night :ohdear

Colleen: :flower ... you are so full of great ideas, and encouragement... you are a true :angel and inspiration to us all! :manyheart btw: I love your ripple!

You have the best motivator of all this week! I love that :eekCompany is coming:eek... it's always a great :kick

what are you thinking for your menu? I like to make chicken wings for nibblies... super easy: wings, Teriyaki Marinade (store bought... I like Ken's if you can get it where you are), and add 4 cloves of chopped garlic per bottle of marinade. Marinade the day before, and bake in the oven at 350 for an hour or so....

Shannon: Great idea about the pattern organizing! :clap

I am SO in! Of course it will take me the better part of the day to do it (:blush I am a bit of a pattern-a-holic :heehee)

...and who can organize it all without :drool over all that "eye-candy" :rofl

:hi FosterMom! Good for you, making nice with DH:devil

I hope things are going well for you:hug

Kel - Congrats on that bathroom! :cheer

I wish we could find a way to make it NOT be a ?times a DAY job:2magic :rofl

:waving Stacy - That top IS super cute:yes

Good for you, being super involved at DD's school... that is one thing she will always remember:manyheart Are you making the Kool-Aid play-doh? We liked that one at our old preschool.

Mary - :jumpyay:clap Congrats on your Stashbusting Gold Medal!!!! Now that's what I call CASHING in! Good for you:yay

Vicki- sounds like your friend will :manyheart her 'ghan! Really sounds cool... maybe she will send you a pic of her enjoying it?

I can't wait to start cashing in on my :crocheting time... I am really in the red... but that's ok, Darski's Charity CAL is coming up, so I will want PLENTY of extra for that:yes

Well, ladies, it was nice to see what you've all been up to... and might I say that this is one of the COOLEST :2rock CAL's EVER!!!!

I'll be around more tomorrow, I promise... It's just not a day without you all!

I just lost my message again!!!:oops:irk

Long story short, i just spent 2 hours rearranging my junk room so the guys can come measure it for new carpet. Not fun!

I cannot wait until Thursday. I found some binders and protective sheets while I was cleaning tonight!! I'm so glad so many of you are with me on this!:)

Vicki- Your blanket sounds beautiful!

Colleen- Love your ripple. I'm trying out my first RR this weekend for the charity CAL. I have my :xfin!

Stacy- What color Bernat Cashmere do you need? I bought 6 each of 2 colors, and have no plan for them. I'll have to check on the colors, but it's a beige and a dusty blue. If this is what you're looking for, I'd be happy to send you one. Just PM me and let me know.

Kelly- :cheer for your clean bathroom! I hate that job, so you're my hero for the day!

Joanne- Sorry about your bad day. I hope tomorrow is better for you.

LeaAnne- WTG on tackling those :socks!:jumpyay Did your DD have a good birthday?

Okay, I have another question. Did anyone see the thread about the 'Ville retreat next June in Huntsville, AL? I signed up, and hopefully I'll get to go. It sounds like so much fun!! I know some of you are really far away, but I just wanted to let you know about it.

I had to share this. I'm watching Jimmy Kimmel right now (repeat) and Dane Cook said he thought Twitter was mundane. He said he's going to start chores.com, where he lets everyone know when he's dusting and cleaning. Sorry Dane, that :idea is taken! And it's right here.:rofl And BTW it's also very exciting and inspiring.;)

I had to share this. I'm watching Jimmy Kimmel right now (repeat) and Dane Cook said he thought Twitter was mundane. He said he's going to start chores.com, where he lets everyone know when he's dusting and cleaning. Sorry Dane, that :idea is taken! And it's right here.:rofl And BTW it's also very exciting and inspiring.;)

:rofl thank you for starting my day with a :lol.

I'll check in later- don't have time to add anything else now- Fingers crossed that today will be a better day at work-

have a wonderful Tuesday!

Here is what I used to do for washing socks. I used this more when my daughter was a baby and those socks could get lost so much easier tha the adult socks. I used a lingerie bag. I put all her socks in there and then they didn't get lost as they went through the wash cycle. They were all together and I could match them back up. :lol

Great idea, Vicki! I'll have to go pick up one of those lingerie bags... I used to do it that way, and :shrug I lost the bag! :rofl

Hey, Shannon- chores.com :lol Does this mean we are on the front edge of trendy :?:rofl

Oh, and yes, DD had was she dubbed "the best birthday EVER!" :whew...(:ty so much for asking!) who knew that all it would take was a little Hello Kitty and dinner at the Longhorne?! Oh, and after dinner, the strangest thing happened: :eekMy DD cleaned her own room! :faint and purged her old things to make way for the Kitty... I just couldn't believe my eyes :2eek:rofl

So, do any of you Twitter? I keep kearing about it, but :nervous a little afraid to go there.

Last night, I was at a meeting for our school cookbook, and the moms were :lol that I am not on Facebook...

Oh, well... I'd rather be here:yay:manyheart

:waving Hey, Joanne, I am here with :xfin that you have a really great day!:hug

Good morning all. DD is at preschool. The playdough was a hit--yes I use koolaid and I made lemon-lime and ice blue. The colours were so pretty and it smells so good! We were halfway to school when I realized we'd forgotten all about show-and-tell today :eek. So, we had to turn around to get the beloved toy cell phone that DH found between the couch cushions the other day. :lol So we got there a few minutes late and the playdough table was waiting for us, empty :(--I felt so bad. They were flies on watermelon when the teacher put our playdough on the table.

Your socks story made me laugh, LeaAnne. My dad always wore black dress socks to work (he's still with us, he just is semi-retired and working business casual now). Anyhow, mom got so sick of all those black socks and the chore of matching them up, that she bought a separate laundry basket and would just put dad's socks in the basket. She made it his job to wash and match his socks. So poor dad would find himself somedays with no clean socks and he'd know that meant he had to wash them and match them up. WTG mom!

Another sock suggestion for you: it sounds like a good job for the kids to me. Put that basket of clean socks on the floor in front of them while the whole family is watching the ball game or American Idol and tell them to get the job done. Many hands make for light work, right? If you wanted to make it a bit more fun, offer a prize the kid who matches the most socks!

Well, I've got a bit more time to myself while DD is at school and there is cleaning to be done. So far, dishes are done, my kettle is cleaned :), laundry on the go.

I hope everyone has a great day (especially Joanne!). Thanks for the smile about the twitter thing, Shannon. That is so funny. I don't twitter. I don't even know how to text :blush. But who cares, I've got the 'ville and my :hook and :yarn and if I get going I'll have a clean house too!

:woo

I am on target for an 11:30 finish (except laundry:yuck it will NEVER end!:lol)

hey, Colleen... that play doh sounds "YUMMY!"

so here's what I did with my newly found extra time this morning:

-winter clothes and coats into the attic.

-laundry room emptied & completely sorted, and floor/walls swept.

-coat closet purged/ emptied and organized... OMG! I can see the floor! :rofl not for long, though:devil I just found a new place for my :crochetingWIP's! :jumpyay Now I won't have to keep going into the attic to get a project, nor will I have to leave them everywhere I am so excited:cheer It's like a present!

My washer and dryer only have the capacity/time for 4-5 small loads per day, depending what I wash. With 6 of us here, I will never catch up :sigh

Sooo...I am off to dust off my clothes line and put it to good use:yes and as long as I don't hang DH's things out there, I am good to go. :D

p.s. I am still thinking about the project/day that you all discussed over the weekend. I want to join you all once I figur out what will make the most sense to start maximizing :crocheting time

see ya in a bit!:hug

Morning ladies! I hope everyone had a restful night. I was too worn out not to. A bulldozer could have taken my house away and I wouldn't have known it.;)

I just finished exercising and now I'm ready to clean. Here's my list for the day:

dishes/clothes to wash

my 10 min task

pick up a little

sweep and mop

change sheets

clean DD's bedroom

I am very much missing my :hook and :yarn, and last night DD went to bed pretty early, but I had to clean the junk room. I can hear my WIP calling for me, and I can't do anything about it. I feel so helpless.

Have a great day everyone! I'll check back later.

WTG LeaAnne on getting that closet cleaned out. The front closet is on my yucky list too. Thank you by the way for the wings suggestion for our Saturday night company. DH would love that...I'll give it some thought.

I just cleaned for 1 hour (that's right, only 1 hour) and just read what I accomplished: family room, kitchen and living room dusted (I even dusted in the little corners under the tables where the spiders like to spin their webs), (you might want to sit down for this next one) ... kitchen walls washed down, kitchen and bathroom floors swept and mopped, one load of laundry on the line :yay:cheer. I'm thrilled and you guys keep me going. THANK YOU!

I have some time to spare before preschool pick up. Just kitchen chairs to put back and a couch to relax on--phew!

Colleen- WTG Speedy! That is one long already done list. I got tired just reading it. Good for you.:cheer

I did the dishes and put a load of laundry in, and I really don't feel like doing anything else today. But I'm going to, because you ladies (especially you Colleen) inspire me to do more than I want to.

:cheerWTG, Colleen!:cheer

Wow, that "Company's Coming" bug bit you HARD! :D

I didn't quit at 11:30... I agree with Shannon, I am so INSPIRED here...

:wash is still moving it's way from the pile to the machine and to the line... up to load #5, and I have time (:thinkI think) for 1 or 2 more, so I am gonna keep going!

My DH asked me to say :ty to you all! :flower

He is very impressed with all I am getting done, and suggested that I cool it a little, and "cash in" on some :crocheting time! (:faintAre you KIDDING me :? )

He said I am really racking up the hours, but he doesn't see me doing anything about it:lol I told him, "don't worry, it's coming in a BIG way!":devil

When he came in at lunchtime, his first question was how you all are doing today... it's very cool!

He thinks it's nice that I have found such great friends:manyheart (and I most definitely AGREE :rainbow:c9)

p.s. I think we've inspired him, too... Saturday, he spent a solid 7 hours doing yardwork...:clapAWESOME! I kidded with him, and asked if he wanted to join our group... We could name him "MrStitchintime" but he would have to learn to :crocheting:rofl... he got a kick out of that one:lol

I :bheart this group!!! My beautiful dd is reading with me, and I am hoping SHE will get inspired, too. I need someone to :kickme back up that ladder to finish her bedroom.

Congrats, everyone, on getting so much work done! I haven't been that productive. We did school work, eye doc appointment, taxi duty (ferrying my oldest back and forth to work) and grocery shopping, but I haven't done much more than that. My kids, on the other hand, have been very busy. I will have a lot of laundry to fold soon, the bathrooms are clean, the yards look wonderful (mowed and trimmed and weeded.)

I just found out that my sister's ring ceremony is tonight. My family has horrible communication skills, despite the fact that I talk to my mom at least 3 times a day. So Honey and Big Bob (aka my parents) are keeping DD tonight and tomorrow night. I'll have two whole days to clean, crochet and relax. I love my baby, but thanks to you ladies I'm actually excited about cleaning!:yay I may even wash my SUV. I think it's only been washed twice in the 1 1/2 years we've had it.:yuck I have a list in my head already on what projects to tackle! Yeah me!!

Beth- I :bheart this group too!! Everyone is so nice and encouraging. I thought I was the only one who needed motivation to get things done around the house. Now I know I'm not alone. I have found my people!;)

I'll check in when I get back tonight!

:yay:hiEveryone!!! I have been MIA the last couple of days, but have been very busy. Yesterday morning I had to take DS back to the ortho to have 2 new wires added to the existing wire on his braces. Then we met a friend for a quick breakfast at Mickey D's. I then came home, did a quick general pick up, did my 2 mins of mail decluttering and then DS and I took off to run errands and go to the grocery store. I got the refrigerator cleaned out yesterday and cabinets as I was putting groceries away. And then I :crocheting the rest of the evening. :cheer:clap I have finished some WIPs that I wanted to post :photoof Sunday but DS was a puter hog so I still haven't got them posted yet :(:(.

Today :blush I :sleep late :blush. I woke up to my phone ringing at about 9 :lol. Oldest DS wasn't at work and his bosses were :phone looking for him. :eek:eek Worried me to death, as I was hoping for the best but :think the worst. He stays at my mom's a lot during the week as it is closer to his job, and he had overslept this morning and he wasn't answering the phone. I finally got in touch with a neighbor who went over to check on him.

Needless to say,I have done 4 loads of :wash, general pick up, did my 2 mins of decluttering, baked a :cake, cleaned DS's room, cleaned the kitchen, washed dishes twice because a friend stopped by unexpectedly so I fixed us some lunch. I still need to gather up the trash and have DS take it out, cook dinner/do dishes again and hopefully call it a day.

I feel like I am behind on my cleaning as there were things I wanted to do last week that I still haven't done. I still need to do some organizing in my yarn closet, work on my pattern notebooks, and I also want to reorganize my patterns I have saved on the :compute. :yuck:yuck I also still have these 2 boxes of stuff that I need to unpack that was brought in from storage. I would like to have everything accomplished by thursday so I can :crocheting all day for the charity CAL this weekend. I may work on my pattern notebooks & :yarn closet this evening.

Scooby - I would hate to think that you do not have the joy of using your APA manual ALL SUMMER! It breaks my heart to hear such a thing. Such a wonderful book it is, and any research study writer's best friend!

:(:( It's just sooooooo sad isn't it? I cried like a baby when I had to put it up in the closet, not to be seen again for about 4 months, NOT!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:lol:lol:lol

Colleen- I like the ghan you are making!!! Can't wait to see it when it is finished!!! :cheer:clap:yay

Joanne- :hug:hug:hug So sorry to hear you have had rough days at work!! I hope that they are going much smoother now!!!! You deserve extra triple time of :crocheting.

:cheer:clap:yay WTG LeaAnne on :socks mating!!! Looks like my :kickgot you motivated!!!! :laughrollI was so glad to get that chore accomplished last week, as it was driving me crazy not being able to get the drawer closed due to all those :socks.

You are very welcome Stacy for the cleaning tips. I hope they are ones that you can use and are beneficial to you!!!

Well ladies, I am going to go TRY to get a few more things done. I hope that everyone is having a fantastic,productive day and hope you have a great evening!!!!!

Whew! You ladies are chatty! Either that or I just don't check in often enough. :lol:lol

colleen- congrats on all the cleaning! There really is nothing like having company, to make you clean your rear off! :lol The playdough sounds cool, too. We had to make that for dd's pre-k class last year also, but we were told to use food coloring. One mom tried Kool-Aid and it dyed her hands purple. :think

Leanne- 55 pair of socks?! I would go insane! LoL Thank goodness my kids take after me and like to wear sandals, mostly. DD isn't allowed to wear them to school but between her and dh (for work) that is only 10 or so pair per week. :D

Shannon- thank you so much for the offer! The color I have is not dusty blue, just a really light blue- I think it is called "rain." I started with my last piece today, which is the left panel, and I am thinking I will have enough...It should take 2 balls to finish that panel, and I will have one left over to join and do an edging. I will let you know in the next couple of days if I may need an extra ball. Enjoy your time off from dd. Even though we adore our children, we all need that extra time just for ourselves. :manyheart

LoL @ Dane Cook! He is so funny. I've never used Twitter but I do have a Facebook account. Between here and there, it's a wonder I have time to :crocheting......:blush

You know...I don't think I posted anything about cleaning in the previous post. :rofl Today was laundry day, I did 7 loads. I promised myself that I would not turn on the computer until I had them all put away- that only half-worked. I brought up (and put away) 2 baskets, but didn't have time to bring the other one until I picked up dd. I brought it upstairs when I came back from her school and it is still sitting in the living room. I better put it away- dh wasn't too thrilled that I let the last basket sit for 4 or 5 days. :blush:lol

Other than that...I did a general pick-up (as much as I could, anyway- our mattress is in the living room since it has been so hot and there isn't much I can do about making that look nice :lol) and cleaned the girls' bathroom. I also sorted and folded some clothing that dh's aunt gave me, and have another bag for Goodwill.

Oh! I also found out that the volunteer luncheon isn't until next Thursday so I will be able to organize my patterns this week! :clap At some point I need to go through all of my drawers and find all the clothing that doesn't fit, etc, and get rid of that. My dresser is to the point of not opening. :blush

Archived