Some good clean fun?! [Archive 1]

[ATTACH]1309[/ATTACH]

You are building a fan club. I just dl'd that pattern and plan to make one or two for my kitchen but choosing a colour is sooooooo hard for me. I love my Aqua colour but a stronger blue would be more in keeping but I have made a really neat potholder in the aqua but nothing else is that colour so ...

:rofl

I think I will go with the aqua. I just love it. Maybe it is time to go with an aqua and peach kitchen motif... yeah there's a thought. :wlol

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi ladies. Home from work and totally wiped out! You would think I would be rested after being off for three days. I did a quick pick up but thats about all. I overcooked last night so its leftovers tonight which the kids dont like but what does a 16yo like? Not much!

Colleen your dishtowel looks great! I love the color. I finished two rows! LOL Ive got it added into my project rotation so it will get done sooner or later.

I must say you guys are all early risers! I am so not a morning person and have to drag myself out of bed. AND did I hear extra time for working full time? YIPPEE LOL

Have a great night

oh, how Wonderful! :manyheart That woman sounds like an :angel

hey, maybe we could do some squares for a 'ghan for that poor girl! ...or for her mom... I can't begin to imagine what they must be going through:no

Let me know if you think you'd like to do something like that... I am still :think:scrachin for the Charity CAL

and good luck with that desk!

:hug

I can't really get in touch with her and I think that incident happened a while back. I was just pointing out how people contact her with situations/

I am going to get a desk somehow or other. Just waiting to see.

I did not do much housework at all today. I cleaned the rabbit/guinea pig cage this morning, then took DD to pick strawberries. YUMMY! We got about 12 quarts. I processed those. Does cleaning and cutting strawberries count towards crochet time?

I think I will go with the aqua. I just love it. Maybe it is time to go with an aqua and peach kitchen motif... yeah there's a thought. :wlol

Go with what you love, especially if it is for you. Whatever will make you :) when you use it/see it/wash it.

I did not do much housework at all today. I cleaned the rabbit/guinea pig cage this morning, then took DD to pick strawberries. YUMMY! We got about 12 quarts. I processed those. Does cleaning and cutting strawberries count towards crochet time?

I LOVE strawberries. I am all for earning :crocheting time wherever you can, but if you sampled the strawberries while you were cleaning and cutting them... isn't that reward in itself :think:rofl But, you definitely get points for the pet cages!

Hmmm, maybe I could drive down to VA for the weekend just to pick strawberries.:think

:woo A wonderful lady came and collected all the rescue dolls that I had/had not dressed. She is in the know for places to send them and she is going to add to the clothing so each little one will get a doll with lots of clothes to amuse theem.

Darski, I saw your picture of the rescue doll all dressed up with the spiral blanket. What do you mean by a rescue doll? I'm interested in hearing the story.

Ok, now I am a little annoyed.:angry I just posted a nice message here and when I went to post quick reply I got an error message saying I wasn't logged in.:eek Scrolled up to the top and there I was logged in.Needed to reboot the wireless thingy for the :laptop I'm too tired :tired to re-type everything again- it was a long day at work- didn't sit down until 8:15.

Only cleaning done today was the dishes after dinner and quick clean up in the kitchen.

I have some sugar n'cream so will start the loop to loop dish towel as a diversion from the FBB. How much do you need? Pattern doesn't say. l;m using my skein of Handicrafter for my FBB. I have some 2.5 oz balls of the sugar n'cream:yarn:yarn

Sorry this is so short, but Gray's Anatomy is on shortly and I need to get settled in with my cup of :tea and :hook and :yarn

Have a good night ladies- I'll check in again tomorrow night - going out with 2 old friends that I used to work with for dinner after work:yay so it'll probably be later on in the evening.

Hi everyone

I cashed in on all my :crocheting:crocheting:crocheting time today. I didn't do any cleaning today at all. Woke up this morning with a head ache, I had my tea and something to eat, took a pill and went back to sleep for a bit. Felt alot better then.

We had left overs for supper tonight so i didn't have to cook :clap I :crocheting for a bit tonight then thought i should check out what everyone was up too.

Colleen i live about an hour outside of Kingston,( in the woods) thats why we have soooooooooo many blackflies. Soon as the weather gets hot for about a week then they are gone:cheer Can't wait.

Tomorrow it is suppose to be sunny here so i will be washing and hanging out heavy blankets and what ever else is lying around ( I just love my line) Iam going to try and get as much done tomorrow as i can so i can :crocheting:crocheting:crocheting all weekend:devil:D

Well Iam off to :crocheting for a bit, then off to bed

Goodnite all

Darski, I saw your picture of the rescue doll all dressed up with the spiral blanket. What do you mean by a rescue doll? I'm interested in hearing the story.

A rescue doll is a doll that has seen better days and ends up at a thrift store.

I wash and treat the hair if it needs it (vinyl protectant is absolutely amazing ) and then make outfits for the doll. The lady today sews the clothing for dolls and bears. I wish I could sew again but those days are gone. some things would be very quick if sewn. :wlol

The dolls are then donated to shelters or other places so that a little girl in need has a lovely doll to play with and dress.

I LOVE strawberries. I am all for earning :crocheting time wherever you can, but if you sampled the strawberries while you were cleaning and cutting them... isn't that reward in itself :think:rofl But, you definitely get points for the pet cages!

Hmmm, maybe I could drive down to VA for the weekend just to pick strawberries.:think

Come on down! Just follow that bird....:rofl

A rescue doll is a doll that has seen better days and ends up at a thrift store.

I wash and treat the hair if it needs it (vinyl protectant is absolutely amazing ) and then make outfits for the doll. The lady today sews the clothing for dolls and bears. I wish I could sew again but those days are gone. some things would be very quick if sewn. :wlol

The dolls are then donated to shelters or other places so that a little girl in need has a lovely doll to play with and dress.

What a wonderful thing to do :manyheart. You are an:angel.

WTG on cashing in on some :crocheting time Mary! I hope you are feeling better today. I am with you on putting stuff out on the clothes line today! I'm washing my big, heavy family room curtains for their spring cleaning.

Better luck with your computer issues today, Joanne, and I hope you enjoy your night out with friends.

TGIF and my day off :clap. My plans are: groceries, some baking (my mom brought me over some rhubarb from her garden yesterday...sure would go nice with those strawberries, Beth:lol), and maybe I'll clean those bedroom windows.

I think I'm going to :crocheting another towel. All of the colours you are talking about some yummy and I want one that won't be a eyesore in my burgundy kitchen. I might just be stopping for some yarn after groceries :D. BTW, I weighed mine and it weighs 3.3 oz with the button. So that should help you with how much yarn you need.

Have a great day!

That is so thoughtful. :manyheart

Scooby- would you mind sharing some of your quick cleaning tips with the rest of us? :lol Cleaning never seems to be "quick" around here. Although we did talk about housework at Mommy and Me yesterday...our instructor told us to give the kiddies wipes and tell them to clean the bathroom. I think wipes might be my secret to cleaning now. :rofl

We ended up going to dh's aunt's house last night for dinner. His mom and aunt share a birthday and it was just easier for us all to meet there because his cousin should not be driving yet. He was released from the hopsital on Tuesday because he doesn't have insurance and was deemed stable enough to leave. :angry He was really out of it yesterday, although he was able to walk around and thankfully is not coughing up blood anymore. I felt really bad because my kids just adore him (he is my 6 y/o's Godfather) and they didn't understand why he couldn't move around and such.

(((((LeAnne))))) Thank you for thinking of us. :manyheart

Oops - looks like I've "bounced a crochet check"! It seems I spent more time crocheting baby booties this week than I earned with cleaning time. :eek Now what? Should I charge myself an overdraft fee???

Hi everyone! I just found this CAL and it is such a great idea! I'd love to get in on it. And just in time, because I should be cleaning right now instead of visiting the 'Ville. We have company coming over tomorrow and my daughter is sleeping. So bye for now, but I'll be back!! ;)

:hi:hi:hi !!!! I missed all of you yesterday, but I see that a lot was accomplished whether it was :crocheting or cleaning. Yesterday was horrid, but the evening was nice. Ortho office was closed yesterday, as the doc is out of town till Monday, but DS's tech was in/out and she told us to meet here at 2 and she would take a look see to make sure all was ok. Everything appeared fine but we have to go back on Monday to let the doc check it out and see what he wants to do about replacing the second wire. In between, we tried get son's learner's permit and we sat and waited for well over an hour and finally I turned our number in and told the lady we had an ortho appt and couldn't wait any longer as they somehow called every number before ours and every number after ours until we were the only ones waiting to be attended besides 2 other people. So, after ortho appt we went back to another driving/testing station in the county the ortho is in, and it took us about 45-55 mins to get son's permit. Then after the hectic day, my sons went out for some brother time bowling/eating/mall/football. My mother invited to take me to dinner, since the boys were out running around. So, we went to the library/dinner/shopping :cheer:clap:yay. No cleaning got done yesterday :lol:lol.

Today, is a different story. I did a general pick up, cleaned porch, dusted computer room, dishes, organized some yarn, and a few other misc odd and end things.

Still have :wash to do,which I wanted to get done yesterday, supper and that will probably be it. My whole house has been cleaned except youngest son's room which he can do this afternoon. All he has to do is pickup and dust.

I am ready for some :crocheting time!!!!!!!!

As far as any cleaning tips go, I am probably not doing anything that you don't already do or know. These are just ones that I heard about and have tried & used numerous times over the years. But here are a few, and as with any type of cleaning/cleaning products use general precautions to prevent any mishaps such as slippery surfaces, discolorations of fabrics or removal of paint from walls:

Toilets- 2 cups of vinegar in the bowl; let set for a few hours or overnight before flushing. Presto, clean toilet with minimal or no scrubbing OR 2 denture tablets (I buy the cheap ones for $1 at the dollar store) in bowl; let fizz for a little bit; scrub minimally with brush.

I use a lot of vinegar & water solutions (sometimes add baking soda). I use a lot of baking soda & water solutions/pastes. Vinegar/water/baking soda solution works great for wiping down stove and inside of refrigerator. Food will absorb/pickup the taste and odor of cleaners/disinfectants. The acid in the vinegar helps deter mildew.

Soap Scum- Cheap/inexpensive shampoo will remove soap scum in the bathtub with little scrubbing. After that I just spray tub with disinfectant wipe down & rinse. Sometimes I use a soap scum remover.

Rubbing alcohol (great disinfectant) will clean chrome fixtures & mirrors quickly.If you want to make a solution for mirrors it is 1 part alcohol and 4 parts water. No streaking!!!! Rubbing alcohol also works well on tile. Pour directly on tile and wipe/mop until it is dry. Plain white toothpaste/Baby Oil will also put a nice shine to chrome fixtures. Toothpaste is also good for removing skid marks on lineoleum. Rub toothpaste on mark and then mop as usual. Colgate Toothpaste & damp sponge will also remove crayon marks from the wall(wipe/scrub carefully). Rubbing alcohol will remove scuff marks/pen or pencil marks from walls. Apply aclohol to dry cloth and wipe.

Moistened rag with water that has been rung out very,very well for dusting. Any dry/drab looking furniture I will then apply lemon oil/polish. Dust clings to the water moistened rag better than using just a rag & polish. I also use cloth diapers as they tend to leave less/no lint residue.

Shower doors- Wiping with Lemon oil removes buildup and will prevent future build up. Wipe up any spills/dripping into the tub/shower as this is oil and will be slick if not wiped up. Shower door tracks I use undiluted vinegar; let set for a several minutes then rinse away with water.

Vinegar placed in small containers around the house will eliminate/absorb household odors. Pure vanilla on a cottonball will also do the same thing.

Clorox disinfecting wipes work great on toilets, countertops and other nonpourous surfaces. I use lots of these :lol.

Orange based concentrated cleaners also work wonders on soap scum and hard to clean/stained surfaces.

Coffee pot/maker- fill with water add 2-3 spoons of cream of tartar or baking soda; let percolate; when water has cooled scrub with a sponge and :2magic it is clean. You can also use vinegar/water solution to remove calcium build up, but the key to this one is that you have to do it several times until water runs clear.

Garbage Disposal- Cut up lemon place in disposal add a paste of baking soda & water; turn on and disposal smells fresh and is clean.

Trash cans- moisten cotton ball with a natural oil such as eucalyptus/rose/vanilla place in bottom of can add trash bag and it will help with trash/food odors. In my small waste paper baskets I do the same thing or I buy the cheap dryer sheets at dollar store and place in the bottom. Borax sprinkled in bottom of trash cans will also work.

If something spills over in the oven, immediately sprinkle with salt; when cooled wipe away with a damp cloth/sponge.

For stains in a white sink- use 1/2 cup of salt and scrub with lemon. Let sit for a few mins then rinse away.

Wow, I am trying to :think of other things I use :lol.

Run your sponges thru the dishwasher every few days, as they breed bacteria. Throw away after a few weeks. I don't have a dishwasher so I boil mine in water with a little bleach.

Cleaning carpets- Vacuum well. Dry cleaner- 2 cups of cornmeal 1 cup of Borax. Sprinkle on carpet. Let set an hour then vacuum. Pet odors- sprinkle baking soda on carpet; let set an hour and vacuum. 2 parts water and one part ammonia works well on carpet stains.

Where fingerprints tend to appear on walls and doors- starch will add a nice little coating to resist these marks.

I have wracked my brain and can't think of anymore right at this moment, but as they come to me I will be more than happy to post them.

Happy cleaning ladies!!!!!!!!

That is so sweet. You are a very special person darski! :clap

:hi:hi:hi !!!! I missed all of you yesterday, but I see that a lot was accomplished whether it was :crocheting or cleaning. Yesterday was horrid, but the evening was nice. Ortho office was closed yesterday, as the doc is out of town till Monday, but DS's tech was in/out and she told us to meet here at 2 and she would take a look see to make sure all was ok. Everything appeared fine but we have to go back on Monday to let the doc check it out and see what he wants to do about replacing the second wire. In between, we tried get son's learner's permit and we sat and waited for well over an hour and finally I turned our number in and told the lady we had an ortho appt and couldn't wait any longer as they somehow called every number before ours and every number after ours until we were the only ones waiting to be attended besides 2 other people. So, after ortho appt we went back to another driving/testing station in the county the ortho is in, and it took us about 45-55 mins to get son's permit. Then after the hectic day, my sons went out for some brother time bowling/eating/mall/football. My mother invited to take me to dinner, since the boys were out running around. So, we went to the library/dinner/shopping :cheer:clap:yay. No cleaning got done yesterday :lol:lol.

Today, is a different story. I did a general pick up, cleaned porch, dusted computer room, dishes, organized some yarn, and a few other misc odd and end things.

Still have :wash to do,which I wanted to get done yesterday, supper and that will probably be it. My whole house has been cleaned except youngest son's room which he can do this afternoon. All he has to do is pickup and dust.

I am ready for some :crocheting time!!!!!!!!

As far as any cleaning tips go, I am probably not doing anything that you don't already do or know. These are just ones that I heard about and have used numerous times over the years. But here are a few:

Toilets- 2 cups of vinegar in the bowl; let set for a few hours or overnight before flushing. Presto, clean toilet with minimal or no scrubbing OR 2 denture tablets (I buy the cheap ones for $1 at the dollar store) in bowl; let fizz for a little bit; scrub minimally with brush.

I use a lot of vinegar & water solutions (sometimes add baking soda). I use a lot of baking soda & water solutions/pastes. Vinegar/water/baking soda solution works great for wiping down stove and inside of refrigerator. Food will absorb/pickup the taste and odor of cleaners/disinfectants. The acid in the vinegar helps deter mildew.

Soap Scum- Cheap/inexpensive shampoo will remove soap scum in the bathtub with little scrubbing. After that I just spray tub with disinfectant wipe down & rinse. Sometimes I use a soap scum remover.

Rubbing alcohol (great disinfectant) will clean chrome fixtures & mirrors quickly.If you want to make a solution for mirrors it is 1 part alcohol and 4 parts water. No streaking!!!! Rubbing alcohol also works well on tile. Pour directly on tile and wipe/mop until it is dry. Plain white toothpaste/Baby Oil will also put a nice shine to chrome fixtures. Toothpaste is also good for removing skid marks on lineoleum. Rub toothpaste on mark and then mop as usual. Colgate Toothpaste & damp sponge will also remove crayon marks from the wall(wipe/scrub carefully). Rubbing alcohol will remove scuff marks/pen or pencil marks from walls. Apply aclohol to dry cloth and wipe.

Moistened rag with water that has been rung out very,very well for dusting. Any dry/drab looking furniture I will then apply lemon oil/polish. Dust clings to the water moistened rag better than using just a rag & polish. I also use cloth diapers as they tend to leave less/no lint residue.

Shower doors- Wiping with Lemon oil removes buildup and will prevent future build up. Shower door tracks I use undiluted vinegar; let set for a several minutes then rinse away with water.

Vinegar placed in small containers around the house will eliminate/absorb household odors. Pure vanilla on a cottonball will also do the same thing.

Clorox disinfecting wipes work great on toilets, countertops and other nonpourous surfaces. I use lots of these :lol.

Orange based concentrated cleaners also work wonders on soap scum and hard to clean/stained surfaces.

Coffee pot/maker- fill with water add 2-3 spoons of cream of tartar or baking soda; let percolate; when water has cooled scrub with a sponge and :2magic it is clean. You can also use vinegar/water solution to remove calcium build up, but the key to this one is that you have to do it several times until water runs clear.

Garbage Disposal- Cut up lemon place in disposal add a paste of baking soda & water; turn on and disposal smells fresh and is clean.

Trash cans- moisten cotton ball with a natural oil such as eucalyptus/rose/vanilla place in bottom of can add trash bag and it will help with trash/food odors. In my small waste paper baskets I do the same thing or I buy the cheap dryer sheets at dollar store and place in the bottom. Borax sprinkled in bottom of trash cans will also work.

If something spills over in the oven, immediately sprinkle with salt; when cooled wipe away with a damp cloth/sponge.

For stains in a white sink- use 1/2 cup of salt and scrub with lemon. Let sit for a few mins then rinse away.

Wow, I am trying to :think of other things I use :lol.

Run your sponges thru the dishwasher every few days, as they breed bacteria. Throw away after a few weeks. I don't have a dishwasher so I boil mine in water with a little bleach.

Cleaning carpets- Vacuum well. Dry cleaner- 2 cups of cornmeal 1 cup of Borax. Sprinkle on carpet. Let set an hour then vacuum. Pet odors- sprinkle baking soda on carpet; let set an hour and vacuum. 2 parts water and one part ammonia works well on carpet stains.

Where fingerprints tend to appear on walls and doors- starch will add a nice little coating to resist these marks.

I have wracked my brain and can't think of anymore right at this moment, but as they come to me I will be more than happy to post them.

Happy cleaning ladies!!!!!!!!

Ummmm, you are kidding me right? :eek You want me to BOIL MY SPONGES when I cant even declutter a counter? Again I say, you are kidding me right? :blush

TGIF for sure. Home from work and actually decluttered the parlor and kitchen table. Seems like anything with a flat surface in my house is a magnet for junk. Folded some laundry and put it away so I at least got something done.

I finished 18 rows of the dishtowel. WOW, very boring to do but its cute so I think it will be worth it. I have to find a button, thats one thing I dont have.

Happy Cleaning........you're kidding me right? :devil

Wow! So much going on here. I had a busy day, but none of it included housework, so I guess I didn't earn any :crocheting time.:eek

Stacy - I hope your dd's godfather mends quickly. It's terrible when insurance dictates when a patient leaves the hospital.

darski, I love the idea of rescue dolls. That's so sweet.

Colleenka, I tried to send you strawberries, but they are just getting stuck in the CD-ROM drive. Congrats on cleaning your curtains.

Miss Scarlet, you deserve a medal of honor for battling blackflies to use your line!

Welcome IrishRose!

No worries about the overdraft, Kel. We are pretty relaxed about our accounting around here (at least I am :lol)

Colleenka, I tried to send you strawberries, but they are just getting stuck in the CD-ROM drive. Congrats on cleaning your curtains.

Beth, you made me :lol, literally, and I needed that. :ty:day:hug.

FosterMom, you also made me :lol about your reaction to Scooby's tips

Scooby, :ty so much for the tips! I have been wanting to get away from yucky chemical cleaners because my DD has allergies but didn't really know how. I love the one about putting the sponge in the dishwasher. I'm going to try that and then I'll let you know if I need to buy a new dishwasher. :lol

So, my curtains are washed, dried and hung back up. Problem is, now they look horrible and I think I need to buy new ones. :angry I knew there was a reason why I hadn't washed them. I bought my groceries. I haven't got to the baking I'd planned yet. First, I'm still waiting for the strawberries from Beth, but also because I mowed the lawn, weeded and trimmed with the weedwacker this afternoon :yes.

So, now I have my :hook and my brand new :yarn and I am halfway through my second towel. All of it earned.

Happy cleaning, clutter-busting and crocheting to all!

Welcome IrishRose!

No worries about the overdraft, Kel. We are pretty relaxed about our accounting around here (at least I am :lol)

So, my curtains are washed, dried and hung back up. Problem is, now they look horrible and I think I need to buy new ones. :angry I knew there was a reason why I hadn't washed them. I bought my groceries. I haven't got to the baking I'd planned yet. First, I'm still waiting for the strawberries from Beth, but also because I mowed the lawn, weeded and trimmed with the weedwacker this afternoon :yes.

So, now I have my :hook and my brand new :yarn and I am halfway through my second towel. All of it earned.

Happy cleaning, clutter-busting and crocheting to all!

HAHAHA HA HA HA thats what you get for washing your curtains! Not you have to spend nice yarn money on new ones! Cleaning is dangerous ladies.

For the record I LOVE Scooby's tips I just think she is kidding me. :devil I am going to try the toilet vinegar thing cause I have horrible hard water maybe that is so hard to clean. You can scrub all day (yeah like thats gonna happen) and still those buggers are laughing at me!

What I need is a cleaning service BUT I would have to clean before I even let them in the house! I am a lost cause folks. :(

Well I made up for some "over drawn" time this afternoon! I didn't accomplish much at crochet group this morning so I came home and just put the yarn away. (GASP, right?! But I didn't LOCK it away or anything insane like that!)

I grocery shopped, went to Joann's & only bought buttons, then came home & cleaned 2 out of 3 bathrooms. :cheer (I don't do the "boys" bathroom - hubby & older boys have that lovely task...there are some fringe benefits to being the only female in the house!:queen)

This evening I will make a new batch of laundry soap and I think tomorrow I shall run off to the laundromat. I actually like the laundromat now that I have found a well kept, clean one that has the big machines, things seem to wash better in those big front loaders. I can get several loads done & crochet away while they wash & dry. SO much faster than one load at a time at home. I also tend to fold it all before coming home - listening to my iPod thats loaded down with crochet podcasts makes that much more enjoyable!

Eeek, did I just say a chore is enjoyable?:fever

Today i did the dishes, picked up stuff, threw out old papers, took all the curtains down ( even shower curtain) washed them, hung them out to dry. I didn't put them back up yet because windows need to be cleaned and curtains ironed. Cleaned the dog cage, washed the deck chairs and hosed off the back deck. I made supper and the next load of dishes are in sink soaking ( i don't have a dish washer.. that would be me):think

Someone had said that their neighbour didn't like to see panties on the line....... well i put them out along with bras too. I think if someone would say something to me, I would wash every bra and panties in this house and put them out on the line. lol:devil

Scooby thankyou for the cleaning tips. I was just wondering if they could be put near the first of this cal so we could add to them and be able to find them?

Tomorrow it is going to rain here so i guess i will try and get a couple of things done inside. If not then i will just :crocheting:devil

Have a good night everyone

Archived