Our House [Archive 4]

Skysmom

As for any career change, I would say it depends on your interest and aptitude for the new career. What is it that you do and why don't you like it?

I work in the anti-money laundering department of a major bank. So I literally sit on my backside online all day long. I've been doing customer service/computer type work like this ever since college. I seem to have lots of skills that fit different areas, but the type of jobs I seem to really be qualified for is customer service type stuff. I'm starting to think I want a job that doesn't tie me to a computer all day long.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're just looking for something that doesn't tie you to a chair, AND you work from home 3 days a week, maybe you could just do something like my treadmill contraption? I work from home as well (programmer) and I built a shelf onto my treadmill so that I can pace and work at the same time.

If all else fails blame the cat... works for me

:lol :lol :lol

Oh he needs to quickly build a garage so he can build you furniture. :yes

Me too actually. He builds great furniture. Simple but it'll last forever. He has a slight tendency to "over build" things. They always weigh a ton but they'll last til the next ice age :lol

I started the garden quilt. I'm making it for the oldest. I'm sort of trying to keep it from her. LOL We'll see how that goes. I've got 32 solids done on it so far.

Good luck keeping it a secret :cheer

Happy Monday everyone! The weather here is finally gorgeous! This morning the temps ranged from the high 50's to mid 60's and now, it's just perfect outside! Sun shinning, birds singing and it's not so dang blasted hot! :lol I work from home Monday-Wednesday's, so I'm getting ready to put on some real clothes and spend my lunch time walking my dog. It's too nice out not to.

Has anyone here ever worked in the animal field? I'm thinking of maybe going back to school next year to be a Vet Tech. It'd be a huge decrease in pay. But at that point I should only have my current student loan and my car loan, so it'd be totally do-able. I know someone who is currently one, so I'm thinking in several months of seeing if I can job shadow her. I just can't figure out what I wanna be when I grow up and I know I'm tired of sitting on my backside all day long.

It's nice here too finally. Gonna open the door after I get dressed that is :lol We have a freeze warning. Dunno why they issued that when it's only going to get to 40 tonight :think Maybe I'll finally sleep decent. :yes

I hear ya about not knowing what you want to be when you grow up. I hated every job I ever had. Only thing I ever liked about them is I always ended up the graphic arts type of gal designing ads and whatnot. Always wanted to be an artist but my mom kept saying "you can't make any money at that". :irk I loved my mother to death but that always irritated me :lol I say as long as the bills are paid and you like what you're spending more than 1/3 of you life doing then go for it. Funny thing is it took me not being able to work anymore at all to find what I love. I love being a crocheting housewife :hook

If you're just looking for something that doesn't tie you to a chair, AND you work from home 3 days a week, maybe you could just do something like my treadmill contraption? I work from home as well (programmer) and I built a shelf onto my treadmill so that I can pace and work at the same time.

But it still ties me to my computer :lol Part of it is a general dissatisfaction. I literally lucked into this job and while the pay is good, I know this isn't what "I want to be when I grow up". I'm still trying to figure it out and it doesn't help with the general dissatisfaction that I feel. I know my current place isn't helping any with it. I know all companies have their good and bads. And I know ALL companies have politics. But I've never before been at a company where the "employee feel good" committee, as part of their work to "improve" things, states that favoritism has been eliminated. First, how do you monitor something like that? Second, it really isn't. Even the new temps are able to pick up right away on that. I'm just being a good little worker bee right now and keeping my head down. I don't dare rock any boats right now.

can someone please shoot me in the face? omg. We just made a trip to GR, just over an hour away, but it was seemingly pointless now, because the lady called and said I need to change my name yatta yatta. Basically we are filing a small claims against my ex roomie from 2005 and its been a complete run around ever since. The two times we were put infront of a judge he has given her extra chances to pay, now we are finally to the point where we can take her tax return and not have to see or deal with her, however...

When we filed I wasn't married, now last year I was and we filed and I put my married name and still got a check an everything just fine, but now this year they wanna say I needed my maiden name on the paperwork. WTH???? I don't get it. This dang girl has had a ton of time to pay, and a ton of chances, and we haven't even charged interest or the actual full amount she owes and STILL the courts seem to throw her the bone!!!!! Im stressed out..urgh. And I really cannot make another trip to GR anytime soon for this seeing as Im 8 months preggo!! Times running out darnet. BAHH, okay, sorry ladies just had to complain. Im sure you'll see this post elsewhere cause Im heated. <3<3

E, good luck!

Cara, that sounds perfect to me! But, unfortnately, I would probably only do the crochet part. I'm not very good on keeping things picked up :lol. But you're right, I need to try and figure out what it is I want to do. Has anyone taken any online aptitude tests and have any recommendations?

Erin - Can't you just hyphenate your name for this one thing? You know where you list maiden name-married name? Shouldn't that work? Ask the lady if they don't have email or a web site for crying out loud. This is the 21st century. All these back and forth trips should be unnecessary :P

Val - I've taken all kind of aptitude tests in my life and they always say I can be whatever I want. Well, I didn't know WHAT I wanted to be for heaven's sake :irk So they were totally useless for me :P

Erin - Can't you just hyphenate your name for this one thing? You know where you list maiden name-married name? Shouldn't that work? Ask the lady if they don't have email or a web site for crying out loud. This is the 21st century. All these back and forth trips should be unnecessary :P

Val - I've taken all kind of aptitude tests in my life and they always say I can be whatever I want. Well, I didn't know WHAT I wanted to be for heaven's sake :irk So they were totally useless for me :P

I don't understand why my name matters, I LEGALLY changed it, and my social security number is still the same. Its just really unreal. I used my married name last year when we filed the SAME EXACT paper work, and had NO issues, none, cept we just didn't get the full amount back that we wanted from her to make her realize she can't do this to people and get away with it! We were actually only going to take this last tax return and move on because its been going on since 2005 already and I lived with her in 2004-2005 I believe. :angry

Oh its been a real pain in the rear, specially since we don't live in town anymore so its not like I can just run downtown to file paperwork whenever. I guess thats why my dad wanted this to be the last effort to get anything back. It would just be really nice to teach her a lesson too, but shes the type that will never learn I think.

Oh its been a real pain in the rear, specially since we don't live in town anymore so its not like I can just run downtown to file paperwork whenever. I guess thats why my dad wanted this to be the last effort to get anything back. It would just be really nice to teach her a lesson too, but shes the type that will never learn I think.

Unfortunately, you're probably right on that point :(

well yeah, specially since now the lady says my name is fine but we still have to pay the $6 fee for the court officer to serve her with papers...which is fine but the lady at the counter was totally outta it apparently! Hopefully the guy will be nice and just bill us.

I started the garden quilt. I'm making it for the oldest. I'm sort of trying to keep it from her. LOL We'll see how that goes. I've got 32 solids done on it so far.

Great start, Donna! :cheer I've added 32 more squares. I love the garden quilt pattern. If I remember right, it looks like pansies...my all time favorite flower.

Another beautiful day, but is supposed to be in the 40's in the a.m. :eek It will warm up quickly, though. DH couldn't believe how many clothes we brought, but is now thrilled that I planned for anything. :lol I've only made a few squares since we've been here, but he's going fishing part of tomorrow and Wednesday and I'll have more crochet time.

Take care, everyone. I'll check in tomorrow. :manyheart

Erin- call judge Judy... my grandgirls think I'm nuts 'cause I love that show.... I love it when she tells people off...especially those who think they can get away with stuff... they had some woman on there who was sueing her landlord to get money because of a fire ... she was the one who put an air conditioner on an extention cord along with several other things and started the fire... then she left the building- left her door open and never called fire dept OR told her neighbors there was a fire... boy did judge Judy tell her off..

still haven't done many saltines I've been making things for a couple swaps I'm in... almost done with them then I have a few things to make for Christmas...

I also thought of Judge Judy when I read your story, Erin. :lol We love watching that, although I think we are a few years behind. I hope you can get it all sorted soon. :yes

Mary, sounds like you are having a good time. :c9

I am hoping to work on the Casa again later this week, if only to use up some yarn before we move at the end of November. :hook

I didn't know how old she was, shes looking pretty good for her age, and keeps up with current events/slang ect. Shes a funny lady!! Reminds me of my momma. But yeah, sadly its kinda a pain to get on one of those shows, and I think if I tried, the girl would be a no show. Actually back in 05 when we went to court (on my bday I might add) she got there RIGHT in the nick of time, we were hoping she wouldn't show and they would send out a bench warrent. Too bad so sad...it will all be over soon I guess.

I am hoping to work on the Casa again later this week, if only to use up some yarn before we move at the end of November. :hook

Hi Tracy! I think I missed a post...where are you moving to? Did you all find a house?

Mary - Another 30 solids for me

They're on the list. :)

Archived