The IDEAL Q

jimbo

Seems that most folk who crochet, prefer not to use a Q hook. Sure they're big, but it seems there are other reasons folks don't use them much. Just the opposite for me, as a hook maker. I enjoy making BIG hooks. Big hooks aren't necessarily easier to make, but they fit the grain of wood better. Wood grain is spaced such that it gets lost in smaller hooks. With big hooks the grain has a chance to show off it's beauty.

Now I know Q's and larger hooks are kind of unique just because they're pretty bulky. But there should be a way to design such a hook that would be comfortable and easy to use.

My thinking is that a Q should be:

Wood (plastic Q hooks are NOT pretty but maybe that's just my prejudice);

longish with enough shank to store a few loops of chunky yarn;

light weight; and

have a generous thumb rest (it's my understanding that most Q users use the hook with the "knife" or "toothbrush" type grip even if they're pencil grippers with smaller hooks).

What would YOU like to have in the DREAM Q??

I am the lucky owner of Jimbo Q. A Redwood number from a few years ago. It's so much easier to use than a store bought Q hook because the wood is so incredibly smooth that the yarn just glides over it. It has a generous thumb rest, as you say, and it makes for holding it so much easier. I'm an overhanded crocheter

My personal opinion - once you gone to a Jimbo hook, you'll never use anything else again if you can help it!

Aw, thats kind of you, and thanks. But what would make it the Stradavarius of Q hooks??

For example, should the throat be longer? I know (now) that a short throat on a big hook is a nusance because the yarn has to climb so steeply and bump over the edge of the neck to get onto the shank.

How about the gullet (that's what I call the throat) I'm thinkin it needn't be much more than half the diameter deep.... or??

Trouble is, with big hooks, the deeper the gullet, the longer the throat, the longer the hook. Should be a magic combination there somewhere.

I hate my Q needle! I swear the yarn gets stuck or hung up on it. It doesn't move well. I'm not a fan. The hook you describe...is an oasis...a dream... :)

I just "won" a Jimbo Q from Roli! Got here today and I love it! Already started a poncho!

To me an interesting experiment big hook would be one where the handle is thinner than the shank, so that a person who has small hands would be able to use a big hook. That would be an odd looking hook! More than likely it wouldn't work, but that was fun to come up with!

I just "won" a Jimbo Q from Roli! Got here today and I love it! Already started a poncho!

To me an interesting experiment big hook would be one where the handle is thinner than the shank, so that a person who has small hands would be able to use a big hook. That would be an odd looking hook! More than likely it wouldn't work, but that was fun to come up with!

That's not a bad idea - or something to make them more ergonomic, easier to manage. Just not like the hooks that you attach to the ball. That was uncomfortable to me, no matter what size hook was on it.

I like the way my plastic Q hook works, but I hate the way it looks. I do own a few large wooden (hand turned) hooks and I love the way they look. I haven't used any of them yet, though, so I don't know how they compare to the plastic one I have used...

The hooks I've seen on your blog make me drool. The way you've described what you have in mind sounds like heaven!!

Glad Roli's old Q is working for you. In fact, it was Roli's Q and her discomfort that led me to reconsider the whole Q problem. I have a Q up for bids in my blog right now that has a thinner grip and features like I mentioned above, but still think there might be something else that would make them as easy or easier to use than a smaller hook. Twould be nice eh?

Thanks for the suggestion!

I use the pen hold with bigger hooks as well. I don't know how big Q is, but I use my 10, 12 and 15 mm now and then and I agree they're awful to look at.

I was thinking the same thing. A large hook end with a more moderate handle so that it would be easier to hold. Those Q hooks are so bulky in the hand.

Jimbo, you are always the genius of geniuses, when it comes to creating hooks. I know you will make an incredible Q hook that will be the envy of all crocheters.

How interesting! I think I second the idea that a thinner shaft would make the hook easier to hold but I wonder if the yarn would get hung up on it? For my part, I've just stopped using the Q's altogether. I had a nerve conduction test done today and it turns out I have nerve damage in my hand. I think I'll have to stick with the smaller hooks from now on! But good luck with this one Jimbo. I'll be interested to see what you develop.

My mom has arthritic hands and I'm finding that a more defined hold is what she needs. Not to slim that she has to squeeze her fingers to hold on to it, but more shapely to fit comfortably. She also has nerve damage Roli, already had surgery once for it, and refuses to do it again. They tell her to keep using them so they don't lock up on her. The store bought plastic Q hook is to uncomfortable, even for myself, to hold onto for long periods because of the handle. Of course being plastic, the yarn doesn't glid as easily either. Will be curious to see what you come up with Jimbo. Guess I'm done rambling :2blush Hope it helps. :hug

I love the Q crochet Hooks, don't care for the plastic ones tho cause they are to long and sorta hits my arm when I crochet. I do crochet the Knife Hold way. I have small hands.... I would love to see a Jimbo Q Wood Crochet Hook made a into a short handle. I would love the Crochet Hook no more then 4" or 5" long, thats what I would Love to see in a Jimbo Q Wood Crochet Hook. The size Q marked And Of course your trademark on the bottom of the crochet hook cause it is fatter crochet hook. What do you think of that Jimbo?

sunnywolfgar

my most major issue with the larger hooks is yarn drag. The plastic just does not let the yarn move smoothly. So for me smoth movement of the yarn on the hook is a must.

I'm in agreement with most that the yarn does not glide on that plastic hook. I have arthritis and have to put grips around the aluminum hooks so I can hold them so I wouldn't want a skinny handle and I also don't like hooks that are less than 6" long because they dig in my palm. I guess for me would be a longer shaft to hold that triple strands of yarn and a nice width handle. Hope that makes sense. Then again I'm sure any hook made by you, Jimbo would be great.

I made this S hook (19mm) from good ole Deadman Crick Fir so it's lightweight, has a smaller grip than shank size, ample thumb rest, a decent shank length, moderate throat angle and according to my crocheting friend, is so smooth you don't want to put it down. Whatcha think?? Should it be the next hook up for auction to benefit the Ville?

post-3105-135897527086_thumb.jpg

Well Jimbo:

First let me say Welcome Back I've missed ya..

And Thank you also for Lending a ear to listen to me ....You know what i mean..

Now off to the hook that is one very lovely smooth looking hook... It looks perfect...

Lovely in deed like all the hooks you make....

Great Job....

Now to let your heart guide you as what to do with her....

hugs

Lillibet

• 3 weeks later...

I LOVE MY Q HOOK!

While I wish it weren't ugly and plastic, it's still paid for itself about ...2000 times. :blink Wow. Never really thought of that.

The reason I love the Q is because I crochet with fleece! Yes, I cut fleece into 1" strips and crochet it.

See the attached picture for the reason I love my Q.

I would LOVE to see a wooden Q hook. :manyheart

post-21494-135897531451_thumb.jpg

Its beautiful Q Crochet Hook Jimbo, even the wood is pretty to look at. I love it. I know other crochetiers will love this Q crochet hook as well. You done an outstanding job creating this Beautiful Wood Q

Crochet Hook~~~~`

Archived