Captain Hook & the Yarn Pirates

JulieKay

Judy-

Wow, I never knew you had the ocean-type job people in your family. That must have been a real interesting job to hold ! I hate to sound stupid, but what exactly does a merchant seaman do ? I grew up where the only water was the town swimming pool .

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sherri

Well, we may have us a problem then. I never was one to turn down a run at treasure,and them pearls got me to thinkin . What about if we ride our DINGY up that crik ? Would it scrape bottom,or would it float ?

I have never been the type to do much land-travel ,so we need a waterway to get there .

Debbie

I hope you got us some spaghettios for the trip. I have had quite the hankerin for some of them with the hotdogs in em .

Don't trust the ones with the meatballs. Hard tell what kind of MEAT them come from . I'd trust the hotdog kind though,wouldn't you ?

ahoy, Mates...

Have you all seen that wolf moon hanging out over the sea yet? A couple of light and stringy clouds over it (just to make it look mysterious)... but WOW!!! It is somethin' ta see, I say!

...makes me think that some neat colors would be of the night sky, and the white of a full moon;)

Ahoy! I've been off checkin' th' barrels o' yarn fer colors t' choose from 'n th' skys 'n seas fer a clear sail. Ahoy t' all that 'ave joined while I was a missin'.

:heart

:mug

LeaAnne

Well,lass, it sounds to me like you are real good at picking out pretty colors ,so I'll just bet you will have a right purty blanket when ya finish. Might want to hold onto it tight at night or someone may just try to pilcher it from you when yer not lookin .

Tam-

Good to see you back . You are the crow's nest person,and bein' this close to dark, we should probly keep someone up there at night just in case .

We may have visitors comin . I hope if it is, it's more wantin to join in here, not some ruffians wantin to get hold of our fresh supply of Spaghettios and our new stockpile of yarn .

Be alert, and don't be afraid to set out fer an all hands on deck if the need should arise .

LeaAnne

Well,lass, it sounds to me like you are real good at picking out pretty colors ,so I'll just bet you will have a right purty blanket when ya finish. Might want to hold onto it tight at night or someone may just try to pilcher it from you when yer not lookin .

Tam-

Good to see you back . You are the crow's nest person,and bein' this close to dark, we should probly keep someone up there at night just in case .

We may have visitors comin . I hope if it is, it's more wantin to join in here, not some ruffians wantin to get hold of our fresh supply of Spaghettios and our new stockpile of yarn .

Be alert, and don't be afraid to set out fer an all hands on deck if the need should arise .

I be on it Captain!

I dont drink th' ale... but I do 'ave me pot o' coffee t' keep me watchin'!

So far th' seas are clear. It be cold out this night... but clear sailin' so far.

LeaAnne

Thank Ye, Cap'n! Me likes thinkin about color... it makes me life a bit richer:wink

... and ya'd be right 'bout those lil thievin' pilcherers... I have seen a few :lurking about!

Tam-

I be on it Captain!

I dont drink th' ale... but I do 'ave me pot o' coffee t' keep me watchin'!

So far th' seas are clear. It be cold out this night... but clear sailin' so far.

I've Got me coffee on as well... I'll be at the ready:D

Hi! I can't join you guys right now, but will be watching to see what everyone decides to make...and to wish Captain Hook a :birthday ! After all, she will always be our "Fearless Leader." :D:manyheart

:faint! WOW! well, then, me best be doin some singin here... ahem...

:bday:bday:birthday, Deeeeeeeer CAP'N! :bday:devil

Well,thanks ,you guys.

Gee, you're going to make a grown Captain cry .... and that is not a pretty picture .

Anyhow, you all made it a great birthday by joining up in here to our new group today.

I'm looking forward to getting to know the new friends in here,and to having a lot of my favorite old friends in here too .

What a good mix of the 2 !

Thanks for stopping in, Mary, even if you did spill the beans about my birthday !!:hug

I'm glad Mary told on you, Jules....:manyheart I hope you had a wonderful day:c9:hug

Judy-

Wow, I never knew you had the ocean-type job people in your family. That must have been a real interesting job to hold ! I hate to sound stupid, but what exactly does a merchant seaman do ? I grew up where the only water was the town swimming pool .

My dad was a simple merchant seaman during WWII....took trips with oil tankers along the East Coast and some trips to Southhampton, England, as part of convoys. My one brother went to the Merchant Marine Academy, graduated as an officer, and was in the NAval Reserves. He took a few really long voyages, even as an undergraduate...and the thing he loved best was when the ship's captain whould allow him to guide the ship into port. His wife couldn't deal with being alone, so he resigned once his obligation was up (years ago now). He's now a "ship broker": they determine how much cargo can be loaded on ships and ensure that they never return from a port with an empty cargo hold, which would inefficient.

Now you have to be sorry you got me started...LOL!

Everyone here is probably too young to remember the TV series "Victory at Sea" - it dealt with the ship convoys that crossed the North Atlantic during WWII.It was mandatory viewing in our house when I was growing up:lol

Debbie

I hope you got us some spaghettios for the trip. I have had quite the hankerin for some of them with the hotdogs in em .

Don't trust the ones with the meatballs. Hard tell what kind of MEAT them come from . I'd trust the hotdog kind though,wouldn't you ?

I didn't even think of Spaghetti-O's. Off to the store tomorrow to get some . . .

Good morning, Glories !

And how you all be this fine cold day ? It's a little nippy out fer sailin this mornin, but us pirates gotta have a thick skin,and be out in all kinds of weather . Just like mailmen,only on boats,riding in the water ...

Well,that was a bad example, but you all get the idear ... bein seafarin people .

Anyhow, today is our first whole day of the journey, so let's be comin to life here . I know you all have lotso f stuff to occupy your time, but you must have wanted to perticipait or you wouldn'ta signed on .

So today, I need ya to raise yer hand, account fer yerself bein here ,and at least give me a genral feelin about what yer plans are .

Colors ? Who ya might be seein as givin this to, or keepin it fer yerself,which is a fine idea if you need it .

Maybe one of you could keep up with me and get a square done today,which is what I plan on . Mine is about half done. I'll complete it and post a photo before the sun sets tonight .

So,who is up for a Sunday challenge ?

Just a little friendly competition amongst pirates .

Judy

Thanks for sharing about your dad and brother's jobs . I'm not sorry I asked at all. It was quite interesting . You certainly do come by the love of the sea honestly. It would have been so nice growing up that close to an ocean .... the best place to be .

At least now I know what a merchant seaman is . I have heard the term, but never taken the time to look up what it is .

My dad was in the Navy back during Korea ... but I don't remember much about him talking about it. I'm sure he did, I just can't remember much of it, but that's just my old brain slippin a few cogs .

Archived