I can finally crochet in the DARK!

Lilly Flower

It sounds crazy doesn't it? But I needed to be able to crochet at night with the lights off, because others wise people would come into my room.

There's a new hook in the market! It actually lights up and has an on and off button! I checked my stores, and found the hook at michael's and hobby lobby.

Besides being able to crochet in my room, I recently used my hook in the car on a rode trip. It actually worked! It didn't distract the driver and i could see the stitches I was making!

I think the hook is card CrochetLite or something along the lines, and it is plastic, so I bet you could take it on the plane.

I have a few of them. They're really cool but they give me a headache when I look at the light instead of having the light on the piece.

My Dad got me a snuggy and the little booklight that came with it. I hang it from the collar of my shirt and can see just fine.

I'm glad the the light up hooks work for you.

I now have several of those hooks too and I love them for long car trips at night when dh drives I can still crochet without bugging him too much ;)

I do what someone here on the board reccommended and that is I took them all and put a small dab of red (or dark) nail polish on the very tip where the light is brightest and you still get the benefit of the light without being blinded by the intense spot of light at the tip. Works well! I did it to them all :crocheting

The LED inside is extremely bright - and it is really so helpful when you crochet in regular light as well but are using DARK yarn like black or navy - it helps you differentiate the stitches.

But yes - the tip once given a dab of polish and dried thouroughly really helps - you have to use an opaque color like red, dark pink, or any dark color - nothing sheer or it won't filter the light good. Just a dab will do ya!

I have given all of my lit hooks to my boyfriend because I am photo-sensitive and the flashing of the light in and out of the yarn was upsetting my stomach! My bf likes the closed hook and because of the way he holds his hook the closed heads work better for him. :)

Does anyone know how long they last? I know LED's are supposed to last a REALLY long time, but I have a few LED items around my house that haven't lasted nearly as long as it should have. I've thought of getting a set of the LED hooks, but haven't because I don't want to put money into something that may not last long.

I've been thinking of getting some of those lighted hooks.....especially on those "night" trips. (I could have used those hooks two weekends ago, saw a couple of "blah" movies!!):lol :lol

I'm glad it worked for you. Anything to help us crochet!

I wanted one because the plug by where I sit went out. I hate moving furniture, so I stay there. I have a lighted crochet hook and couldn't work with it. First the plastic didn't glide well for me with the yarn (maybe because it was acryllic). Then the light bothered me too.

I found a latern at the store for $17 and it's bright and nice. Suppose to last 500 hours on 3 D batteries. I use that instead of a lamp.

I'm glad it worked for you. Anything to help us crochet!

I wanted one because the plug by where I sit went out. I hate moving furniture, so I stay there. I have a lighted crochet hook and couldn't work with it. First the plastic didn't glide well for me with the yarn (maybe because it was acryllic). Then the light bothered me too.

I found a latern at the store for $17 and it's bright and nice. Suppose to last 500 hours on 3 D batteries. I use that instead of a lamp.

Can you just put a new outlet in the outlet box? It isn't hard to do and it's better than moving furniture!!!! Been there, done that, LOL :)

• 4 weeks later...

emtpixie...the batteries can be replaced in the crochet hooks...they take small hearing aide type batteries. I like the hooks too and use them all the time...they are more comfortable for me to crochet with.

Doreen

i was gifted 2 of these in the color swap (THANKS SHANA) I love mine.. when im not using my bamboo hook she gave me I'm using my Lite hook. I like it when the yarn is dark. helps me see the stich.. and it helps at night when hubby wants the lights off to watch his shows without a glare on the tv..

emtpixie...the batteries can be replaced in the crochet hooks...they take small hearing aide type batteries. I like the hooks too and use them all the time...they are more comfortable for me to crochet with.

Doreen

Well that's good to know! :yes Thanks!!!

This reminded me of an afghan I crocheted earlier this year. A family member was hospitalized for several days and someone was with her around the clock. Anyway, it was my turn one night and I took six skeins of yarn with me to the hospital that night. The night light was dim and the yarn was dark, but I crocheted through the night. I crocheted more by feel than by light. Whenever the nurses came to check on things I would check my progress. I was probably as amazed as everyone else at how beautifully the afghan turned out. :hook We travel quite a bit and drive through the night, so now I want to get some of these lighted hooks.

Archived