Do you like Granny Squares?

Do you like granny squares and what's your age range?  

337 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like granny squares and what's your age range?

• YES! 18-24
    • NO! 18-24
    • YES! 25-34
    • NO! 25-34
    • YES! 35-44
    • NO! 35-44
    • YES! 45-54
    • NO! 45-54
    • YES! 55+
    • NO! 55+

I HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :irk I know I am in the minority, but I think they are ugly and have never liked them. I have been crocheting for 50 years and I always thought that there were just way too many ends to weave in. JMO.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like to make them. I like that there are so many variations on the granny square theme. I don't even mind joining them. So I voted yes. I'm 52.

I DON'T, however, like weaving in all the frickin' frackin' ends!! :lol

It gives me a twitch in my eye just to THINK about all those ends!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm 24 and I LOVE granny squares (or any kind of patch motif, really). You can finish one square so quickly so they really are the perfect project for when you don't have a lot of time to sit and work but you want to get something done.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems the age doesn't matter in this case.

I neither love nor hate granny's.

To me they're useful for some projects.

But having learned the tecnique is very useful, I adapt different granny details to a lot of projects.

In my 20's, I made a lot of different style grannies. I made my two children granny square ripple afghans. Now these children are soon to be 34 and 36. Would you believe that I still have some of the yarn that I used for their grannies!!

But now that I am "55", I don't mind making squares, BUT JOINING THEM, THAT IS A WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY, DON'T LIKE, DON'T LIKE!! :lol :lol And there are soooo many neat grannies out there since the '70's!!:lol :lol

• 1 year later...
I love Grannies too! I have made many grannie square afghans. Don't really mind putting them together either! lol

Same here, as they were the very first thing I crocheted, and I don't mind putting them together, it's fun to play with colors and patterns! I sometimes flat braid them, or whip stitch them , and really doesn't take very long once all the sqaures are made! I love the colors, and all the different kinds you can make too!

I need a button that says, "It depends." I've seen granny squares I loved and those I didn't care for at all. I was born in 1950. You figure out how old I am! :wink I do dislike sewing/crocheting/knitting motifs together. Doesn't matter if they are officially "granny squares" or something else.

i learned at the age of 9-10 to crochet granny squares and im 37 now

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love making & using them! Just wish I could find more patterns! Seems all the ones I'm able to find on google are all the same lol. I gotta learn how to google better.

Thank you all for answering, despite being in the wrong category. :lol

I must be a weirdo, because I love making granny squares (traditional pattern) especially because of the join as you go method. LOL I am currently working on a granny square treeskirt. I just thought it would look so cool... we'll see! :hook

What's the wrong category? Looks like Liking Granny Squares won out in every age group with the most any Not liking them got was 5.5% -- I only look at percent because different number responded in each age group.

You say you love them too so that must be the "right" category.

I am very curious of those who voted "NO, they don't like granny squares" -- why that would be. Is it just the joining? If so, I have to admit, I do not like that part one bit either. But, I love the granny square so much, that I do the yuck part regardless. One of my favorite afghans to crochet is the large rectangular granny -- just one huge rectangle -- no joining! Now that is some relaxing crocheting that I can do with my eyes closed. :) One of my granddaughters actually picked that out of all my patterns and then pick 6 colors she wanted it done in. She loves it! But I actually prefer the ones that have been joined in different square arrangements, too. So many variations! I guess that is what I like best about grannies -- skies the limit on variations.

Archived