What is the Best compliment you have received?

After reading Kellie post about her nephew, I got to thinking what the best compliment I have ever received from someone I have gifted. Recently I made 3 sets of baby layettes for friends and family. One of the Ladies was having a little girl. Of course when I gave her the quilt, baby ghans and layette, I received many many thank yous and her family oohed and aah over it. I assumed that the items would be nicely packed away and never used.

Over Labor day weekend, my friend had her little girl, and many people were coming and going from her house, so I waited till things calmed down before I made my visit. I stopped by on Thursday to see the new baby. I wasn't expecting to see almost all of my crocheted items and the quilt being used. The Layette I made was a little to big as the baby came early. But I was informed that since it was, she was going to use it for her christening outfit. I felt so honored.

I know that there has to be others that have been honored this way. We often read posts about disappointments. I was hoping that we could share the compliments we have received here.

Any complete that is heart felt.

But the best are when I go to the persons house and see they are using them. It always bothers me when people put them "up" and claim they are saving them.

I really felt good when my mom bought a quilt rack just to display the second afghan I made her. Knowing how picky she was about stuff she displays in her house meant the world to me. (It was the first fancy one I made some sort of heirloom pattern don't remember the name but it was a lot of work.) My sister has the afghan and quilt rack in her guest room now.

My best compliment so far has been from my three adult DD's telling me : "Mom you are really getting good at crocheting. Will you make me a poncho? Will you make me an afghan? Will you make me a hat and scarf set?" I figure they wouldn't be asking me to make things for them if I wasn't getting better and better at this wonderful craft!

My family all met for a vacation. We all drove from various locations.

While helping my sister get stuff out of her van I noticed the throw I had crocheted for her 8 YO daughter in a ball in the back seat.

I mentioned it to my sis "She brought that from home?" Sis says, "Oh yeah! She loves it"

So, some people may not like seeing their work in a heap in the backseat but to me it was a compliment because it was being well used and loved.

yea only complment I get is from hubby as i have not crochet in a while n just again recently picked up a hook when my DD needed hats made cause of her Tricatillamaina.

but he always tells me how I could make so much money at flea markets with all the crafty stuff I can do that I do such a good job. (even thou at times i think it don't).

Then one of the kids thearpist told me how talanted i am and how wounderfull my DDs hats look...

This was not directed to me but one of my dd's hats caught the eye of her thearpist.. she told myDD she loved it.. THen when the receptionist called me to remind me of my other dd's apointment she told me their thearpist LOVED my dd's hat. and asked if i made it or where i bought it. I told em it's a Annie orginal lol I made it myself. and proly coudlnt make another like it as i just winged it myself

I made an afghan for my Grandma, whose been crocheting for 60+ years, and she loved it so much she displays it in her living room and tells all her friends about it!

A couple of Christmas's ago, I was making one of my dh's grandsons a RH green camo and black RR. While I was working on it, my oldest dd said, "oh, how pretty. So I made her one for Christmas. And when my oldest dd opened the pkg., my youngest dd saw it and said, "oh, how neat, I want one!! So that "Christmas" evening I started a RR for her, her birthday was coming up-Jan. 6th. To me that was a compliment!! It warmed my heart that my daughters appreciated something "homemade"!! (I'm always afraid as to how family will receive handmade items--which is funny--because I like to be gifted with anything handmade!! :hook

I had made a whole family (about 8 or so)blankets one X-mas. Well there was one family member who really loved my blanket (large gran. sq.) that it was unravelling. So I made him a new one, but he cried cause he wanted the old one back.

jaye

We dogsit for friends of ours and they love to lay on the afghans I am making so one weekend I whipped up a "dogghan" :lol It was long enough to cover the back of the couch but not very wide.

When they came to pick the dogs up, I told her not to forget their blankie and she said "You made my dogs an afghan but not me?" Ya, well I told her I knew how much they would appreciate it. But I am secretly working on one for her. ;)

I made a pretty pink snuggly sack for a neighbor who was having a baby girl in the winter. I had given it to her early because the weather was starting to turn bad and I wanted her to have it.

Little did I know that she loved it so much that she dressed the baby in it to bring her home from the hospital. That's really an honor. And the nurses and her family just loved it.

To me, that's the greatest compliment is when someone uses what you gave them.

:manyheart

I was making scarves for Christmas gifts last year, when 3 different people had asked me to make them one. One of the girls I gave it to, said that her daughter took hers and wouldn't give it back. I made her daughter one, and she came into work, and and told me it was the best gift she had ever gotten

I was wearing the Bustier top that was in the recent Interweave Crochet mag when a lady at the park we were staying in said, "I want you to take that to a boutique so I can buy it." My kids and grand kids love getting stuff that "Nana" makes and wear them all the time.

My mom is an avid crocheter too. She cant do the little things. Most everytime I make something she tries to take it. When I do make things for her she just oooohs and aaahs and even shows her friends...that is the BEST!

Also my children love the things I make. My daughter makes sure she tells everyone that "My mommy made this for me!" :c9

I made the Maria Merlino Pineapple Shawl in her class about a year ago for my husband's grandmother for Christmas. I gave it to her a bit early as she was in the hospital and cold all the time. She passed away in January and the people that stayed with her (we live out of town) on a daily basis said she never took it off from the time she came home from the hospital. Her daughters decided to bury her in it because she loved it so much. It still makes me cry that I could giver her such joy.

As long as people keep asking for more of what I crochet I know they really like my work and aren't just being polite.

That works for me too. When my cousin's patients wanted more shawls and now want slippers - that is a compliment to me.

Anyone can say anything but"more" is high praise. :angel

I made an afghan for charity and the lady who delivered the blanket to a man in Hospice who had Lou Gehrigs disease told me about his reaction. It brought tears to my eyes.

"...for me? Someone made this for me?!"

He did not want to take it off his shoulders and put it on his bed. He could not wait for his family to visit so he could show them. I will never forget her face as she told me the story.

Archived