How do you work into chains?

How do you work into chains?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. How do you work into chains?

• Through the top two loops
    • Through the back ridge
    • Some other way (? please explain!)

Until recently I thought I was the only one who does this "backwards" LOL. So... How do you work into the starting chain? I go through the back ridge because it's so much easier...but I didn't realize until I posted a thread in the help section that other people do that, too!

I usually go thru the top loop (top of the chain stitches). What do you all mean by the 'ridge'? If it's a starting chain, where's the ridge? Where the yarn crosses over each other to make the next chain? And how can some of you go thru both loops? And, is the 'back loop' the same as the 'top loop' that some of you are referring too? I know this sounds like I have no idea how to crochet but everyone uses different terminology and it's confusing me. At least, I hope that's why it's confusing me, maybe I'm having another blonde moment. :blush

I usually go thru the top loop (top of the chain stitches). What do you all mean by the 'ridge'? If it's a starting chain, where's the ridge? Where the yarn crosses over each other to make the next chain? And how can some of you go thru both loops? And, is the 'back loop' the same as the 'top loop' that some of you are referring too? I know this sounds like I have no idea how to crochet but everyone uses different terminology and it's confusing me. At least, I hope that's why it's confusing me, maybe I'm having another blonde moment. :blush

Im with you Diamond :think:blush:eek

I always go through the top two loops. I believe this is correct?

It's a starting chain, how is there two top loops? If you connect circles together; oooooooo there are no 2 top loops because basically, a starting chain is just a bunch of circles hooked together. Where are the 2 top loops? There is only 1 top loop. I can see the 'ridge' being where 2 circles are joined, if that is what the 'ridge' is. Y'all get what I'm trying to say or ask?

I go under the two top threads. I have no idea what a 'ridge' is and I've been crocheting over 30 years! Can someone draw out what you are talking about? I'd love to know!:think

Also, depending on the pattern, I will go only through the front top thread (loop) or the back thread (loop).

:hook

I'm pretty sure the "ridge" everyone is talking about is the loop we that crochet through the top two don't use. I think that's the ridge. And it's easier to crochet that way and I'll do it if the yarn is giving me trouble, but usually I prefer the look of crocheting in the top two loops.

AH HA!!! I had to get yarn & hook out to see and now I see!!! There are 3 strands of yarn....top, bottom and middle!!! I've been crocheting for over 30 years and never thought about it. Told ya I was having a blonde moment/day/month/year/years!!! So, back to the original question, my answer remains the same, I go thru the top loop (strand) leaving 2 remaining strands untouched.

Well, there are three strands that make up the chain right? Normally, one would go under the top 2 strands (the ones that form the "heart"). So, you're going under 2 and over 1. That 1 that you're going over looks like a bump on the underside of the chain. It's actually much easier to turn the chain over and crochet under that bump.

I too thought that I was the only brilliant person who crocheted under the ridge, bump or whatever you call it. I stopped doing it because I thought it was wrong, but now that I know others do it I'll go back to it. It's so much easier, and so much quicker.

Now you're confusing me. How do you get one top loop? If you're looking at the top of the chain, there are two strands that form sort of a heart. If you turn the chain over, there's one strand in the middle that forms a ridge.

I usually work my first row into the ridge because it makes a more finished edge, and if I want to add an edging, I have two strands to work into, which seems to look better.

Are we all confused enough, now? :eek

AH HA!!! I had to get yarn & hook out to see and now I see!!! There are 3 strands of yarn....top, bottom and middle!!! I've been crocheting for over 30 years and never thought about it. Told ya I was having a blonde moment/day/month/year/years!!! So, back to the original question, my answer remains the same, I go thru the top loop (strand) leaving 2 remaining strands untouched.

I usually go through the top 2 loops. I thought that's the only way to do it. I am going to try the ridge on the back now to see what that looks like! If you turn it around (the chain) is that the middle strand? That is the one that sticks out on the back of the chain so I guess that's a "ridge"?

When I crocheted years ago, I was taught to go into the top loop only. I found out when I started crocheting again that it makes a weak beginning chain though. At least that is what the instructions say in tutorials. I don't think it matters a lot except what you like it to look like! The base chain is a very small part of the garment, bag etc so I don't think it will really make an item weaker.

If you're looking at the top of the chain, there are two strands that form sort of a heart.

And if you go through only half that heart, you go through one of the top loops. :) It's what I did when I first learned to crochet. However, it's my opinion that it looks better to go through both top loops, and when I'm crocheting something like a baby bootie that calls for crocheting all around the foundation chain, it just doesn't look right to go through only one loop.

Like most of the rest, I work under the top two loops and have one loop on the bottom. I do this unless stated otherwise in a pattern. I do the same when I am working a picot. Just my preference...:D

Archived