Basket of butterflies

Apak

I like butterflies and many of my works include them. Most often I make like these:

post-30828-135897435479_thumb.jpg

They are very easy and quick to make - it takes me only 20-30 minutes to complete.

They have to be starched and here you can see my method:

post-30828-135897435491_thumb.jpg

In July it was my mother's birthday. My aunts (also crocheters) had a great idea and together we made a lot of butterflies. Then my mum got a big basket of 65 butterflies instead of flowers! She loved it!

post-30828-135897435494_thumb.jpg

post-30828-135897435469_thumb.jpg

post-30828-135897435474_thumb.jpg

post-30828-135897435487_thumb.jpg

post-30828-135897435497_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Absolutely beautiful! I have started making white ones with no bodies on them yet. My dad always called my daughter butterfly so when she gets married someday I want to have these for her wedding. I thought I could add the bodies on in her wedding color at that time. I was also thinking of doing a long tail like the ones Tammy (wiz3283) made for bookmarks. I think they would make great ties for on favors and something the guest would always have. BTW I'm doing 4-leaf clovers for my DS as he has been able to find lots of those since he was a toddler. Anyway now that I have seen your gorgeous basket I'm thinking they would make great center pieces someday for my DD's wedding or bridal shower.

What did you attach the butterflies too for putting them in the basket? Floral wires? It is so very very pretty.

Thank you all for your opinions! :flower

The pattern is from the Polish magazine "Diana - Szydelkowe kwiaty" ("Diana - Crochet Flowers").

I use crochet thread - about 10'' - I have a collection of colours, it's Czech thread "Snehurka". I often make a butterfly as a break; now I'm working on a curtain for my window and when I'm tired with white thread, I make something colourful :)

GreenFuzzer - the wedding basket is absolutely great idea - and guess what? Just this week I made a few white butterflies, becuse on Friday it is my brother's wedding! I won't have such a big basket this time, I bought a small bike-shaped(!) basket and will fill it with a bunch of those lovely insects. They are not ready yet, but they will have bodies of pearls. I will show you this "project" as soon as it's ready :yarn:yes

The butterfly basket is fabulous--what a cute and clever idea!!!

The thread-loving members here at Crochetville are already envious of the Polish magazines and patterns that we can buy here--there is nothing like them in the US right now. I wonder if I have that one? I know I bought a flower-themed magazine last year....

They're beautiful and remind me of the Florida Museum of Natural History we visited in July. I have some butterfly patterns I've been wanting to try and you've ispired me to try one today, thanks!

post-23943-135897436091_thumb.jpg

post-23943-135897436096_thumb.jpg

Apak I had to show my mom your beautiful basket and while talking and telling her you are doing the basket for your brothers wedding. She already knew what I have started for my kids we bounced even more ideas around. Wouldn't your beautiful basket idea make a gorgeous flower girl basket?!?!?!?! What about bouquets for the bridal party?!?!?!?! As we were talking we realized we will be able to use the 4-leaf clovers as the greenery around flowers in all those things for my son's wedding. Luckily his fiance wants a celtic wedding and is very happy about any personal touches we can think of even though they haven't set a wedding date yet.

I think I should start a note book of ideas!!! I look forward to seeing your bridal basket. :hug

Krakovianka - I've checked, the pattern is from the magazine I mentioned, No2/2006. I agree - these magazines are great, I like "special editions" the most (as for Christmas, Easter, Window or Home decorations...)...

GreenFuzzer, if you start the list of "crochet wedding ideas" - be careful, it will never end! Did you think of champain bottles "dressed" like the bride and the groom? Glass decorations? I 've never done it YET, but my friend created a few versions (she shows them on one of the Polish forums, but I'm not sure- can I link to her photos?)

What else.... Umbrellas (using the patterns of doilies)? Fans?

Archived