Announcing: Upload Photos to Crochetville

Donna

Amy and I are excited to announce that you can now upload photos directly to Crochetville! You'll do it with just a few clicks by adding photos as attachments when you post. This new feature is available to all Crochetville members and it is free. Read on to find out the backstory or go directly to our easy tutorial.

Last summer we found over 3,000 threads with missing photos when we reorganized the Show-and-Tell forums. Yep, you read correctly: three thousand! Whoa! That's a lot of great projects lost from Crochetville forever. Additionally, we often receive reports of disappointment when the photos are missing from a free original pattern posted here. That's just two areas of Crochetville; who knows how many other photos are missing, and more are disappearing all the time.

Most of these photos don't disappear intentionally. Our members have been dependent on outside photo hosting services to post photos at Crochetville, and sometimes people may move or reorganize their photos at the photo hosting site, not realizing that it makes them disappear from their posts at Crochetville. And a worst-case scenario is when a photo hosting service goes out of business or shuts down.

Photos are an integral part of Crochetville because our subject matter is crochet. We've realized that we can't be dependent on external photo hosting services. In addition, we have available storage space and bandwidth because the main strain on our servers is the number of visitors Crochetville has at any given moment (technically speaking, the number of connections). When we upgrade our servers to meet the demand for connections, we get more storage and bandwidth. Our need to meet the demand for connections has far outpaced our need for storage and bandwidth.

Please note that this is not an image hosting solution like Photobucket or Flickr. Photos uploaded to Crochetville can not be hotlinked for use at another web site.

Only registered members of Crochetville will be able to see full-size photos. Unregistered guests (and members who are not logged in) will only be able to view thumbnails of photos.

Additonally, as of May 15, 2009, Crochetville will no longer support the option of inserting images or thumbnails from other sites (such as Photobucket). Of course, you may still post links to photos on other sites, you just won't be able to display the actual photos in your post. But we really hope you'll use our new system to upload photos to Crochetville; we think you'll find it quick and easy! And doing so will ensure that your photos stay with your posts on Crochetville for others to enjoy for many moons to come.

Here's the link to our tutorial again: How to Post Photos at Crochetville. Please let us know if you have any questions about the tutorial or any comments about this new feature.

We hope you enjoy the ease of being able to upload your photos directly to Crochetville! As always, please do let us know if you have any questions or comments.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:nworthy Today, at 6:15, while you were posting this, I was learning to upload my pics to here from flikr. It was by the seat of my pants; I have no idea how I finally succeeded, and surely I could never do it again except by happy accident. Thank you for a simple solution from me and all of the other "puter illiterates in the 'ville. :2rock

Does this mean that pictures in old posts will no longer be visible?
Sort of. Photos in old posts will turn into text links on May 15 when we turn off the option of inserting photos with the IMG tag. The text link will go to the original photo where ever it was hosted. Unfortunately there is no way around that. However, anyone is welcome to edit any of their old posts to upload the images here.

Also, as I have been giving out PAT pixel icons over the past several months to members who have posted free original patterns here, I have been asking their permission to host their photos on our server. It will take some time, but we'll be going through the Free Original Patterns forum and switching over those photos for those members who have given us permission. So at least that area will have photos you can see without clicking the link.

Again, I REALLY like this idea. It cut's out the "middle man" so to speak. It takes time to log into another account, upload to that site, then come here and post. It will be quicker this way and more convient. :) Yay!

I agree that it will be a lot more convenient, and I really do think its a great thing for the forum. It will be great to not have posts missing pictures anymore.

But..... I am still disappointed at losing all the pictures in the old posts. Sometimes I like to go through the show and tell forums and just look at all the beautiful things people have made.

I forgot to mention... you don't have to upload to Crochetville from your computer. If you keep your photos on Flickr or other online photo album, you can easily upload to Crochetville directly from your online photo storage. Just copy and paste the URL of your photo into the box labeled Upload File from a URL. It's in the tutorial. Check it out and give it a try. See what you think and let us know. We value your input! :yes

But..... I am still disappointed at losing all the pictures in the old posts. Sometimes I like to go through the show and tell forums and just look at all the beautiful things people have made.
You are right about that. It is an extra step to click a link to see the old photos. I agree and will give it some more thought. That is a problem we considered, but sometimes a solution presents itself where there seemed to be none.

Yeah, me too.

Does this mean that pictures in old posts will no longer be visible?

that is my question, too.

Edit: Well, Donna answered that one.

Thank you.

Just switched the pics over to attatchment in 2 of my patterns. It was pretty easy for me :yes and sorta fun to make the changes :). And so much quicker. :c9 It beat uploading pics to photobucket:yes. Lately for me on photobucket:angry, it takes forever and is a pain and pics seem to take forever to load.:think I usually end up swearing.:( I was hesident about this change, but am now totally for it.:yes:yay Thank you Donna and Amy.:hug I am liking this change.:hook

So how do we control the size? I don't post large pictures of my designs. So if it's only one size this might be a problem for me. What size will the pictures be?
For those who want their photos to be the maximum size, no editing is necessary (Crochetville will automatically resize them to a max of 800 pixels on the longest side).

However, you can edit your photos as much as you want, including the size, before you upload them to Crochetville. As mentioned in the tutorial, images equal to or smaller than the limits (100 KB and 800 pixels on the longest side) will not be resized. So if you want to post small images, they will remain small.

Additionally, images uploaded that are equal to smaller than our thumbnail size (250 pixels on the longest side) will not have a thumbnail created for them (because they are already thumbnail size or smaller). However, this means that unregistered visitors will not see that image because they can only see thumbnails, not full-sized images. (I would prefer it if thumbnails were made of all images, regardless of size. That is, the thumbnail would be whatever size the small image is. That way, unregistered visitors could see it. However, unless the vBulletin developers make that change, it would require custom coding that may be more complicated than I am able to do.)

This is a great feature! Thanks so much Donna & Amy. :cheer This will make it super easy to add pix without making extra steps.

It doesn't bother me that old photos won't show because it's not any trouble to click the link if I want to see it. I'm often doing that anyway with photos & patterns people put on their blogs.

And with original patterns posted at the 'Ville, I'm sure most people will give permission for their photos to be moved to the server, so the pix will stay with their patterns here.

Archived