Math for Craft Design???

Cool site! Thanks for sharing.

I had heard of the golden ratio and Fibonaci. Math makes sense to me, and my son is a total Math geek!

Someone did a fibonaci scarf and posted it online, my son explained the pattern to me. I may make one for his math teacher just for fun.

Thanks for the link.It makes perfect sense to me now that I have read how to do it,LOL.

I always wondered about the fibonacci numbers when I would see that in a quiz when it would ask what would the next number be..I thought how the heck would I know?!?!

These concepts don't mean much to me when explained only in numbers. But i did enjoy the book Geometrics: a New Way to Crochet by Ruthie Marks. http://www.amazon.com/Geometrics-Crochet-Leisure-Arts-4398/dp/1601401442

The illustration of the golden ratio in crochet projects made sense to me because i could see it rather than just think about it:P. there are also interesting sections on "dragon curves" aka wiggly crochet, and as I recall a pattern for a labyrinth wall hanging. it also covers the Fibonacci numbers as applied in crochet. if you're interested in this area, it's worth looking for in your library.

These concepts don't mean much to me when explained only in numbers. But i did enjoy the book Geometrics: a New Way to Crochet by Ruthie Marks. http://www.amazon.com/Geometrics-Crochet-Leisure-Arts-4398/dp/1601401442

The illustration of the golden ratio in crochet projects made sense to me because i could see it rather than just think about it:P. there are also interesting sections on "dragon curves" aka wiggly crochet, and as I recall a pattern for a labyrinth wall hanging. it also covers the Fibonacci numbers as applied in crochet. if you're interested in this area, it's worth looking for in your library.

I will have to look into this one! Thanks for the info

I bet if I put forth a lot of effort I could possibly understand this...

however...

I have a great dislike for math... so I probably wont :-)

I made the afghan on the cover never thought of the math just followed the instructions:hook It was very easy, the only problem was the center I found that varegated yarn did not stay tight it buckled and wouldnt stay flat and tight, but I started one with solid color and it worked fine, but of course I ripped it apart to make something else:lol Here are the pictures.

If it looks right to me I go for it. 4 is not a Fibonacci number, but sometimes it will make my sections square.

Math is supposed to be an exact science. Aesthetics is not. These ideas try to meld an exact science to an abstract theory.

If I want to stripe something and don't know what pattern I want to do, sometimes I'll use the Fibonacci number system.

I came across this thread because I was looking for a formula/explanation of how to increase the length of the foundation chain of a project in such a way that you end your first row with the same stitch as you would have if you had not increased the length of the foundation chain in the first place. To better explain, I am making a hooded scarf. The instructions for the hood said to begin with a chain of 70. I did this but after working several rows of the pattern I laid the piece over my head to see how far down the hood would come on each side of my face. The sides of the hood only came down as far as my ear lobes. Even after adding the length of the scarf to it, I still felt this would cause the hooded scarf to possibly mash down my hair after tying or draping each scarf end together. That I didn't want. I have short hair but I don't like it laying flat against my head. I decided to increase the foundation chain to 105 stitches. I arrived at this number by taking the 70 the pattern called for and dividing it by half. That was 35. I then added the 35 to the 70 to get the 105. My first row did end on the same stitch as it would have ended if I had just used the 70 chains. I don't know if that was luck on my part or what. So that's when I decided to check on Crochetville to see if there was a formula for doing this. That's when I found this thread. I am not sure I understand what I read about the various numbers but maybe if I sit and work with it in my crocheting I'll understand it better.

Cool! I saved all these links. I love math (minored in it in college). Math is delicious! (other fans of the online comic Questionable Content will hopefully recognize that quote :laughroll )

I used to watch a seller on eBay who made beaded wrap bracelets using the digits of Pi (3.141592653... and so on) for her pattern. I believe she used the first 14 digits. That would work with stripes in a crochet/knitting project too, I would think!

I came across this thread because I was looking for a formula/explanation of how to increase the length of the foundation chain of a project in such a way that you end your first row with the same stitch as you would have if you had not increased the length of the foundation chain in the first place.

I think you just got lucky. It depends on the pattern stitch, how many stitches in each 'repeat'.

I know this thread is about math, but here's a way to cheat in your example :blush Make a chain a little longer than you think you need, turn and do the first row of the pattern to the length you want, then turn and continue, leaving the little chain 'tail'. You can pick out the extra chain stitches in the end and weave the thread in, it will not unravel.

I always wondered about the fibonacci numbers when I would see that in a quiz when it would ask what would the next number be..I thought how the heck would I know?!?!

The Fibonacci sequence is confusing when you first look at it, but it's not such a hard idea to understand. To get the next number, you take the previous two and add them together. It starts with 0 and 1, so the next number is 0+1=1. Then it's 1+1=2, 1+2=3, 2+3=5 and you end up getting: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5 and so on.

Cool! I saved all these links. I love math (minored in it in college). Math is delicious! (other fans of the online comic Questionable Content will hopefully recognize that quote :laughroll )

I used to watch a seller on eBay who made beaded wrap bracelets using the digits of Pi (3.141592653... and so on) for her pattern. I believe she used the first 14 digits. That would work with stripes in a crochet/knitting project too, I would think!

Yay for Winslow! I love Questionable Content.

I like the idea of using the digits of pi to make a striped scarf. I've seen the Fibonacci scarf, but I like how using pi would make it look more random.

Although this is very interesting, for practical purposes, only the first few numbers of the the Fibonacci sequence would be of use to me. As you progress along the series, the gaps between the numbers get too big, in my opinion, to be of much use in a baby blanket or scarf. But if you repeat the sequence of the first few numbers, I can well believe that you would get a pleasing effect.

Archived