Mother's Day Mystery CAL

heart

Ok, If you don't want to know yet...Do Not read this post till you are ready.

Suggested options:

Pin Cushion

Candle Holder cover...REMOVE before lighting a candle...just decoration ONLY

Cat Hat... :D

My original idea was a Mother's Day Hat decoration, as you can see, you can make several things. As you post your final projects, I'll put your user name and link to your post in the first post of the thread so people can easily find your pics. ;)

1238434691.jpg SIZE 3 THREAD

Second Part ~

I know this is alot of info, but read it all before stiffening, there are a lot of ideas, tips and helpful instructions to decide what would work best for you.

You may not want to stiffen~

There are a few choices here ~ (If you used WW, you can make a big aluminum form with out lumps, or some other type of form, butte buckes, ect, and have a lot of patience to wait for it to dry, it has to be completely dry, if it feels dry, but is still flimsy, it isn't dry and will loose shape, it needs to be stiff and dry)

If you used WW cotton, it may be a nice floppy Easter hat for a child or adult depending on your individual gauge.. (Makes me think of puffy sleeves and Anne of Green Gables)

cal.jpg WW..SUGAR N CREME IN SOFT ECRU Please over look my pink cheeks and freckels, I had some sun, and no makeup. ;)

WW may also be a potted plant decoration, just slipp it over the bottom of your rose bush or plant for your Mom and tie a big bow around the top to hold it in place. It will have a very Lady ~ Like presentation. (I didn't have a plant to use for photo)

Thread, 10 and 3, you may want to turn it into a sachet, just cut a large circle of fabric or tulle, about the size of the outside of the brim, and a circle of fabric the just a little bigger than the opening of the hat, do a running st with sewing thread around the edges of the large circle and carefully stuff the sachet with sented fiberfill, (fiberfill and add some scented oil to it, a little goes along way) or lavender, spices...ect, and carefully pull the 2 ends of the sewing thread to close the circle up (you don't want the thread to break), carefully sew the smaller cirlce to it, with the edges tucked to the inside, being careful to keep this side flat for the bottom. Sew it to the inside of the hat. It just needs a few stitches along the flat part (edge of smaller circle shows, with the rounded part inside the hat) of the sachet to secure it to the hat.

Another sachet idea is to weave a ribbon in and out of R10, and line with tulle or fabric and fill with potpourri or scented fiberfill, tie it up with a bow.

Also if you used size 10 or size 3, spray starch it really good, allow to dry, then weave in a ribbon from one side of the brim across top of hat to the other side of the brim and tie a bow, Fill with goodies. Basket.

All needed items to stiffen ~

stiffener (there are different ways to stiffen)

aluminum/tin foil

plastic wrap, can also use the plastic bags from grocerie stores, just cut it so you have 1 lg square to work with

stick pins

cardboard

Choose your stiffening method, and saturate your Mother's Day Hat Decoration, try not to twist or wring, just get it soaking wet with your stiffener.

Make a ball with the aluminum foil, you can use a styrafoam ball cut in half if you want to go out and buy one. Make it big enough and round to fill out your hat, and then hit it down on a table to smash the bottom flat, keeping the top rounded. This may take a few minutes to get the shape you want.

** For those of you Can Pants Lovers, you can see if you can find a can of chicken or tuna (thread, not sure what could be used for ww), you know the cans that look like hockey pucks...... and make a can hat!!! hahahahahaha! (This was just an after thought as I was typing up the stiffening instructions, but I thought it was funny and would work, your hat would be flat on top and not rounded, also makes me think of Anne of Green Gables era hats.)

Cover your aluminum/tin foil half ball or half styrafoam ball or can with plastic wrap or grocerie bag and carefully place your hat on the form. Gently stretch the edges of the brim to a nice rounded shape and secure it to plastic covered cardboard with stick pins in the outer picots and any where else you want to stick pin it. Allow to dry, may take a day or two. The size 3 and ww will take a little longer to dry, but it will make a beautiful gift for any mother, grandmother, special lady in your life. If you made the ww, a stiffened hat will also be a nice as well.

Pin first 4 corners, (it will help to get a rounder shape)

1238366862.jpg

Then pin the rest

1238366956.jpg GOING TO BE MY SACHET, NOT DRY YET, SIZE 10, SHADED PINKS

1238342717.jpg

To embellish, just sew or hot glue your bow, flower, button to the hat.

Stiffening options ~

Stiffen Stuff Amazon, Michaels, Joann I buy mine at Michaels, it's about $6 a bottle. I keep it on hand for book marks and snowflakes and ruffled doilies.

Liquid Starch It comes in a half (?) gallon size in the laundry detergent isle at walmart, or department stores/grocerie stores.

**If you used # 10 thread, spray starch will work, but you have to SOAK it, and it won't dry really stiff, but it will hold shape as long as it isn't touched or played with. Basically put it out as a decoration. **also with this method, after it dries, you can weave a ribbon thru and across the middle, pulling up the sides of the brim on 2 sides, and tie a bow, makes a cute little Easter basket. (post photo)

1238434906.jpg1238434881.jpg

Allene's Tacky Glue **Warning** This is really messy and takes several days to dry. You have to cover your work surface in plastic, dump glue in a bowl and add about 2 Tbsp. water to glue and stir, allow hat to sit and soak for a bit. Carefully squeeze out extra glue (extremely messy, and you have to get out all the extra glue you can) and place over form and stretch and pin. Take a paper towel and blot out all "glue bubbles" from open work of hat. (you don't want hard little glue spots on your finished piece, so dab off all the extra glue) Allow to dry. May take 3 days, maby more. Then take off mold when it is Completely dry, (it may feel hard after a day or 2, but if it is flimsy, leave it alone, it will loose its shape if it isn't completely dry and very hard) and very stiff, pull away plastic wrap. I have made fabric bows and stiffened them this way, the finished piece will be a little shiny, but very beautiful. You just have to be patient.

Get it very wet

1238366689.jpg

Gently squeeze out all extra, wash your hands so you can handle it, take a paper tower and dab off the extra, be careful, paper towel may stick, can use a damp wash rag if you don't care to have glue on your wahs/cleaning rags.

1238366787.jpg

Then open up, place over form and pin as previously instructed, and wait for a few days. Mine is still drying. It feels dry, but is kind of cold and flimsy, I'm not moving it off the form till it holds shape. ;) (pink/white verigated one..#10 thread)

I don't reccomend using the sugar/water idea because I've heard of people getting ants.

Hre's a snowflake stiffening method list, it may help you too...lots of ideas. Snowflakes

I hope you enjoyed this CAL as much as I have. You CAN use this pattern for anything you wish. Gifts, fundraisers, You CAN sell items made from this pattern if you want to. Please just don't sell the actual pattern.

Sarah Cooper 2009

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know.. wasn't the size of the fiber that threw me. Was the instruction. I thought that sc in same space.. meant to sc in the same stitch as the ch 1 but then I saw that the row ended that way, so I was thoroughly confused

I think I will make a sachet out of mine. I hate stiffener, gets nasty everywhere. Honestly the last two times I have stiffened things Willie has tried to eat them while they were drying, and you can imagine where everything went. :eek YES!! He is a strange cat. We think he was a dog in another life, just ask the postman that he attached. :blush:rofl

Finished Day 4

Took pic out.

Sorry , I didn't think about giving it away.

Please send me a picture of the finished project mine I am not so sure I am reading the directions for the last round right... I am more of a look at the picture and crochet instead of following a pattern...

please send it to me... I wasn't sure if we could post e-mail addresses here or not...Molly

Please send me a picture of the finished project mine I am not so sure I am reading the directions for the last round right... I am more of a look at the picture and crochet instead of following a pattern...

byronnat hotmail...

please send it to me... I wasn't sure if we could post e-mail addresses here or not...Molly

th_downsized_0330090944.jpgclickable

Hi,

This is Day 4 finished. I put it over an empty tub of butter. I have not stiffened it or embellish it yet. I hope this helps you.

:)

Linda

Still not looking. Still not looking.:lol Here are 1st days pictures from me. Sue me, I'm behind a few days... :P Mine is a beautiful royal blue size 10 held together with a cream with gold metallic thread running through size 3 using 00 steel hook. Very pleased with my first endeavor and attempt

th_P3302535.jpgth_P3302536.jpg

I'm only on round 12 cause I haven't been working on the project much today. Had very important things to do. And now no one knows where my Clover size D is...:cry . I have at least one other D but I want my Clover :yell ! I'll find it. God knows where it is and He will let me know. :yes

I haven't peeked either, donnatoo :no :no :no.

I like what you're doing with yours, donnatoo. You've given me an idea. I have thread with gold and/or silver running through it. Not sure of the sizes though without looking.

Since I have no kitties :(, it's the "Stuffed Lamb CAL" for me. Will have a pic to post later with one of my lambies modeling the "hat" through Day 2. I was wandering around here earlier trying to find the right size lamb.

Makes me think of Lea searching for the right size can :lol.

Me too! :D

When we reattach the thread to the sc, isn't that supposed to be a round of V stitches again? I'm reading to do the 2nd dc in the NEXT st:think

Yes, V sts.

Now Stripe is upset, she saw Tuss's flower and is insisting that I put the flower on her hat. She will just have to wait.

Anyhow, sinceI dont think that Heart is intending these to be Hamster/Cat/Dog hats (btw, anyone have a hamster that wants to model???) I figured it was time to dig out my peice of cardboard to see it it would help me figure this creation out. :think

th_boxandcreation.jpg

Nope Not helping.

Lol! :D

Since I made 2 of these I am going to have one hat and one basket-turning it upside down and adding a handle. they are for me anyway. thanks again I really have enjoyed this and love to do anyone. Got any we could do angain right away?hm-mmm-mmm...

thank you so much!

Great idea! Thanks for joining in. I'll think on it a bit, maby I can come up with something that odesn't involve stiffener... :devil Hope you had fun! :jumpyay

Since my cat Willie (the one in my avatar) will never sit still for a picture I just took them on the counter.

Could it be a hat?

IMG_0737.jpg

or a Basket?

IMG_0740.jpg

We will wait and see. Anybody see something else?

Beautiful both ways, I absolutely love those colors, the blue is so sweet withthe white.:manyheart

I know.. wasn't the size of the fiber that threw me. Was the instruction. I thought that sc in same space.. meant to sc in the same stitch as the ch 1 but then I saw that the row ended that way, so I was thoroughly confused

I do that, (sc in first st, then sc in that same st at the end of the row, instead of 2sc in first st, it seems to fill in the "gap" sometimes left at the start of a row. Sorry for the confusion. :)

I have to go get stiffening solution at the store. I don't have any more. Great CAL. I want mine to be a hat. Big :ty to Heart.

:knit

Linda

You're welcome! :jumpyay Praise the Lord!!

I think I will make a sachet out of mine. I hate stiffener, gets nasty everywhere. Honestly the last two times I have stiffened things Willie has tried to eat them while they were drying, and you can imagine where everything went. :eek YES!! He is a strange cat. We think he was a dog in another life, just ask the postman that he attached. :blush:rofl

lol! My kitty, her name is actually Kitty, :D (my boys would have no other name for her but kitty) has issues too. ;)

Still not looking. Still not looking.:lol Here are 1st days pictures from me. Sue me, I'm behind a few days... :P Mine is a beautiful royal blue size 10 held together with a cream with gold metallic thread running through size 3 using 00 steel hook. Very pleased with my first endeavor and attempt

th_P3302535.jpgth_P3302536.jpg

It's beautiful done up this way! :jumpyay

I'm only on round 12 cause I haven't been working on the project much today. Had very important things to do. And now no one knows where my Clover size D is...:cry . I have at least one other D but I want my Clover :yell ! I'll find it. God knows where it is and He will let me know. :yes

I haven't peeked either, donnatoo :no :no :no.

I like what you're doing with yours, donnatoo. You've given me an idea. I have thread with gold and/or silver running through it. Not sure of the sizes though without looking.

I need to try one of these clover hooks. I've bought them for others, but never tried 1 myself. My hands swell sometimes, so one of these would probably be a good thing. ;)

Ok, when ever you post your finished piece, what ever you choose, I'll put those links in the first post so everyone can find them easily. I'll go ahead and put the Cat Hats in the first post. If you want me to put a pic you have already posted in this thread in the first post, let me know here or by a pm, and I'll put it in the first post.

i hope you all had fun and like what you made. Thanks for joining in. I had fun getting to know you. :)

And now no one knows where my Clover size D is...:cry . I have at least one other D but I want my Clover :yell ! I'll find it. God knows where it is and He will let me know. :yes
Praise the Lord!:clap I found my Clover D hook! It had fallen off my desk and into the back of a bin with mailing stuff in it. :clap

:jumpyay

I had the best time doing this. I'm starching mine and will then share. SO pretty. I forget how lovely things are made out of thread -- even though they make my old eyes go cross-eyed for hours afterwards!!!!!!!!!!!! :c9

I finished my thread one. I haven't decided *what* it will be yet; or starched/embellished it yet... :think Gotta finish the ww yarn still. It has been one of those days. :angry Need to make some coffee, and crochet and unwind.

Tina

I did finish and get some pics but mine is absolutely huge... As a basket this is big :eek

Next CAL, I think I will just have to bite the bullet and work smaller. :think:hook

You could put it over a plant pot for a gift, and tie a ribbon around it in a bow. It would be like the wrapping paper they put on the plants when you buy them, just prettier.

Heart I love that little pillowcase dress on your blog. :manyheart It is so sweet. Too bad I have all boys... I love making things out of other things, or old things made new. (Or making things out of string or yarn, too. :hook)

Tina

unfortunately I hurt my hand yeasterday so I have to wait a day or two to finish since it hurts too much to hold the thread hook right now but I think I will make a few of these. My sisters just joined the red hat society so I think they would be cute presents for them. Now where is my red thread?

Heart I love that little pillowcase dress on your blog. :manyheart It is so sweet. Too bad I have all boys... I love making things out of other things, or old things made new. (Or making things out of string or yarn, too. :hook)

Tina

Thank you! ( I need my coffee too today! ;) I have 2 boys age 9 and 6, and thought we were done, I wanted a little girl from the first time I was pregnant. That's a long time to want something. I praise the Lord for her, she's a sweetie. She was a gift, and we know we are blessed.

Now watch my 6 yo. son do something that makes me question my sanity... :D Everytime I say something like that, he really lets loose. :eek

Archived