Cut-Away Cardi CAL

Debbi-a1

This pattern was recently featured in the Talking Crochet Newsletter and I love it.

Here's the link:

Cut-Away Cardi

However, with all the chain loops and edging I might need some support to finish it. The chain loops because that can be tedious and I would need a :kick to keep going.... and the edging because it doesn't look too complicated, but not sure yet and I might need help on that anyway:blush.

YARN: It says to use a 'light wrosted weight' (This is a Light Weight, Cotton Bamboo Yarn. Each skein is 108 yards, 50 grams; 50% pima cotton, 50% tencel ). I'm thinking for me maybe Vanna's choice or Simply Soft (although SS is hard for me to work with). My coworkers RH Soft looked the same thickness as my Super Saver, so probably not that, although I like the yarn she's using for her afghan. I'm sure RH could work up to guage, but I would like a lighter yarn for spring. With buying yarns limited here (and budget) I'm not considering other yarns (yet). I'll look through some stores though to see what they have.

ETA: I choose TLC Baby a sportsweight yarn in size 3. I choose a white.

ETA (5-11-09): changing the yarn. Going to use Bernat Satin Sport in Aran. I made some socks in that yarn and love it.

So who would like to join me?

Debbi

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh gosh, is that cardi ever cute!!! I will have to look through my stash to see if I have yarn (gave up buying it for Lent- I can't wait until Easter! LoL) If I do, I will definitely join you. I don't know about Vanna's though- I think that would be considered a thicker worsted. Maybe the baby-weight one would work? :think RH Soft would be perfect, I think. I am off to see what I have!

I've been looking for something to do with the Bernat Satin Sport I have at home this might work, wonder if it would be the right weight

Debbi,

I'm thinking I might make this one, also. But it'll be awhile as I want to choose the perfect yarn. Maybe a cotton blend. RH Super Saver is much too heavy for this. The RH Soft is a little finer. I think Vanna's Choice is also too heavy. It's considered a medium worsted.

Good luck on it!

I was debating whether to start a CAL for this one myself. I have a hard time with even Sport weight yarn but I really want to try this. I spent an hour today trying to find what kind of yarn I could use instead of the listed product as that is not available for me.

If I can get enough Bernat Satin Sport I will be back :wlol

Oh this is sooo pretty! I keep thinking I want to try my hand at making clothing. My fear is that I don't really know much about yarn types. So far I have only made afghans where it doesn't really hurt if you use a different type of yarn. Maybe if one of you pro's find a good, easily found yarn to make it with you can share with a newbie like me? :think

Ok...I've been swatching and I think (for myself, of course) that Vanna's is much too heavy and the swatch came out a bit too big anyway.

My options are Baby Soft in white, some sport weight (no label) in bright pink, or Paton's Brilliant in a lilac color. I am thinking that I will use the Brilliant if it swatches correctly.

The suggested yarn is a 3 on the weight scale. That is why I am looking for the Bernat Satin Sport. ( I really like the Bernat Satin yarn anyway so this is good to go for me.)

If you can find a 3 weight yarn it should work.

The suggested yarn is a 3 on the weight scale. That is why I am looking for the Bernat Satin Sport. ( I really like the Bernat Satin yarn anyway so this is good to go for me.)

If you can find a 3 weight yarn it should work.

Thank you! I'll have to look and see what Micheals has in the #3 yarns. :)

I'm trying not to buy any yarn this week so I can end my Stashbusting week with a positive number, so I won't be able to even think about starting this until next week. But I am seriously considering doing it!

I'm glad people are thinking of starting this.

I went to Joann's last night (there was one by my doctors appointment on the way home) and looked at the yarn. I haven't ever been there before, it was nice they had a lot of yarn choices:clap. Yes Vanna's is thick. So is RH Soft (to me). I found TLC Baby a sportsweight yarn in size 3. I choose a white. They had so much yarn and choice, but this seemed like a nice yarn I could crochet with. Plus some yarn they didn't have enough of to make this, I knew I needed 1080 yards or more.

I'll work up a guage swatch later to see what size I'll be doing, it looks a little form fitting but with my crocheting loose I may need to do my exact size:lol.

Debbi

I am thinking of giving this one a go! here in the UK we have double knit yarn which I think is similar weight to light sports yarn so I am looking at giving this one a go with a ivory coloured dk yarn....:)

from the pattern...

12 x 15mm decorative shank button

does anyone see where you use 12 buttons? ... I just can't find it and it is driving me crazy. I love buttons and welcome each and every one of the 12... I think

:wlol

I don't think there's 12 buttons, just one.

12x15 mm is the size.

I guess they should have said "One 12x15 mm decorative shank button" or "1 - 12 x 15 mm..."

I just bought a button without thinking about the size. I hope I can work around that, it's a dragonfly button (to go with my dragonfly jewelry I made).

Debbi

I don't think there's 12 buttons, just one.

12x15 mm is the size.

I guess they should have said "One 12x15 mm decorative shank button" or "1 - 12 x 15 mm..."

I just bought a button without thinking about the size. I hope I can work around that, it's a dragonfly button (to go with my dragonfly jewelry I made).

Debbi

Ok that explains it. Because it did not say one I though it was 12 of the 15 mm buttons. I have never known buttons to have two measurements. :think Life is just so wonderful... new opportunities to learn every day. :dreaming

True. I'm not even sure what a "shank" button is... :think Guess I'll look it up on the internet (love the internet for that:manyheart).

Found a vidoe link: http://www.monkeysee.com/play/2153-sewing-on-shank-buttons

And I bought a correct type. Hope it fits whatever it goes in.

Oh and I think it's a 12x15 button... I only see one button in the photo.

And the pattern says

Finishing

Sew button to inside edge at junction of joining of Front and Edging about level with beg of armhole. For buttonhole, use natural ch sp on opposite edge.

My guage is a little larger, but not too much. I'm okay with that. I'll just do medium now so it can be a little loose on me.

th_guage.jpg

I did use a G hook and my sportsweight yarn.

Oh also since the pattern is rows of repeat, I'm going to make up a chart in Excel to list the rows and how many chains are in them, plus a box to check them off as I do the rows. AFter row 30 or so I don't want to be counting all those rows over and over Stitch markers would work too, maybe every 10 rows or something, but this will also work I think. Just keep it with my pattern.

Debbi

Well, this is the first time of doing a CAL. I had to ask abt the yarn the other day that this called for and was thinking this would be a CAL project. I have some Bernat Baby and will be starting tomorrow while I am held captive on the truck with hubby, LOL. Will be out trucking for a couple of days but will have the computer with me so I can see how things are going with everyone.

Woo Hoo can't wait to get started.

I hope to get to Zellers tomorrow to get the yarn for this. I'm just not sure that they will have 400gms of any colour in the Bernat Satin sport yarn.

I can always just go with whatever sport weight yarn I can get... maybe

Walmart would be a better bet.

Archived