Old Yarn Ball Winder ( I think)

This is kinda cool. Got this yarn ball winder (at least that's what I'm almost positive it is) at one of our local thrift stores last week for about $5.00. Maybe be a little much for something like this but I just couldn't keep my mind off of it so I had to get it. I've made a few balls of yarn with it so far and it works pretty nicely. Looks pretty old to me. Anyone care to guess at its age?

yarnw2.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

Julee

Looks like from the 50's or 60's??? Not a lot of plastic on it - so that's my guess!

I will have to keep my eye out for one - I would have walked right by it!!!!

Very nice. If it's really an antique you got an excellent value.

Yeah, that would be awesome. I probably won't get rid of it though. I LOVE old stuff.

Looks like from the 50's or 60's??? Not a lot of plastic on it - so that's my guess!

I will have to keep my eye out for one - I would have walked right by it!!!!

I almost walked right by it but alas I couldn't. I was thinking 60's or 70's but I'm not sure at all. I think I might see if ebay has something similar.

Julee

I think $5 is a great bargain, considering they cost 5 times that when new. The fact that it might be 20 or 30 years old would make it worth all the more to me, not less. And if it works - who cares how old it is?

I don't think it's an antique by the look of it... but keep it for another 20 years and it will be :D

That's a super find! If I see one I'm going to get it even though I have a newer one. Sometimes mine makes a "grating" noise and I'm afraid it's going to wear out. Anyone else have that happen?

I have a new one too but sometimes it gets on my nerves. Then there are the times when I know I'd be lost without it. I think you'd call that a love/hate relationship.

Anyways, I agree. Even if it isn't really old it's still ultra cool.

Thanks

Julee

I don't think it looks exactly antique either, but I agree with another poster - it probably works better than current versions. I think you got a great buy. I would love it just because it's older.

If it works, $5 is a good deal. I paid $40 for the one I just bought. The only thing I think could cause some trouble is the open gear but as long as you're not letting the yarn go slack it'd be fine. Given the color scheme, I'm guessing it's late 60s/early 70s but still a great find.

Yeah, Vintage sounds right.

So far the open gears haven't been a problem at all. I was a little concerned at first but after a while I just quite worrying about it.

Julee

Archived