2009 Weight Loss Afghan

Tia

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think this is a fantastic idea to work on a project like this. It will be such a wonderful reminder of an amazing achievement. I think i am going to do this as i have A LOT of weight to lose and i never seem to be able to stick to anything! I am going to do an Afghan. I think i will pick a pattern i love the most (one that is also a bit difficult for me so it makes it an even bigger achievement!)

Welcome darkrose! :hug I've added you to the list.

Welcome to crochetville too, I see you are new here. Glad to have you join us. Have you been crocheting long?

Welcome aboard, Darkrose!

I am so mad at myself this week! I had a GAIN of 5 lbs! I haven't been doing my exersise and that makes ALL the difference! I am gonna work my butt off this week! I think as punishment I might unravel the last 5 rows of my afghan!!! Then I'll be back down to 20 rows/pounds!

I'm pretty mad at myself too Jenni....I gained 6 lbs.! BUT I've been doing lots of hiking. At first I gained 2 lbs. so I upped my hiking, then I gained 2 more so I started working out at home on the days I didn't go hiking. Then I gained 2 more!!!! :angry:thair:rant

But I kept at it hoping it was muscle weight even though in the back of my head I knew I was eating more because I was exercising more. So now I'm going to cut back on my eating and keep all the exercising. That should do it.

You'd think with all that exercising that I'd have a lot done on my exercise 'ghan. But :blush...nope! Haven't worked on it in ages. I like the pattern...I LOVE the pattern, but I don't like sewing squares together. And I made the mistake of doing some squares in a slightly different color navy. :( So I'm trying to decide on a different pattern.

We all have our ups and downs. Try not to get discouraged.

Now that the weather is getting nicer, I think we will see a much faster weight loss. We will be more enticed to be active outside and eat less heavy meals.

I know I haven't been working on my afghan either. I'm sure in time we will all get the bug to get caught up with what our main goal is with the weight loss, exercise, not smoking, afghan squares,etc.

Don't give up....we can do this!

Even though I haven't worked on it in awhile, just seeing my afghan in the den whenever I walk by helps me. It's just a constant reminder to keep trying. I recommend that even if you are stalled, you set out your weight-loss ghan where you can see it. Kind of like hanging that outfit you want to fit into on the outside of your closet instead of inside. It's a constant reminder.

I'm behind on the afghan, but unfortunately it won't take that long to catch up! :lol I gained three pounds two week ago, then my last weigh in was the same. I looked at my weight tracking chart last night (weight watchers online) and saw that I'm only half a pound lighter than this time last month. That was depressing! There have been fluctuations, but basically, I'm the same as last month. :( But I'm really trying this week, and I want to keep REALLY trying. Sometimes it's just easier and I feel more determined than others.

I ordered the new Hungry Girl Cookbook, 200 under 200, and I can hardly wait to get it. I feel very positive about that. I'm sure it'll help. I also ordered some Torani sugar-free (sweetened with Splenda) syrups to mix with club soda because I get so tired of just drinking water and tea. I love water and tea, but I feel deprived! I want soda. So I'm really looking forward to the sugar-free syrups, too. I'm tracking everything like I should, too....no skipping days anymore! :blush I'm rededicating myself to this effort - I'm tired of watching the scale move up and down instead of just DOWN.

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone! :hug It's been a rough week for me. Lots of 'stuff' going on.

I lost one lb. day before yesterday. This morning I forgot to weigh myself before eating breakfast. I've worked out everyday, Mon-Sat. (today). I've been keeping track of my miles. Between the elliptical machine, going for hikes and playing my Dance Dance Revolution game, I've 'traveled' a total of 41.96 miles!

I like your idea of laying out the weight loss afghan where you can see it. I'll do that.

I also ordered some Torani sugar-free (sweetened with Splenda) syrups to mix with club soda because I get so tired of just drinking water and tea. I love water and tea, but I feel deprived! I want soda. So I'm really looking forward to the sugar-free syrups, too.

You will not be disappointed with the syrups. I LOVE the vanilla....I put it in my coffee with some ice and fat free 1/2 &1/2..YUMMMM!!!!

When mixed with club soda it tastes like cream soda.

Edited by tmsmile

You will not be disappointed with the syrups. I LOVE the vanilla....I put it in my coffee with some ice and fat free 1/2 &1/2..YUMMMM!!!!

When mixed with club soda it tastes like cream soda.

The syrups came in yesterday, and we've been having fun trying different flavor mixes. The vanilla is good with the raspberry! :)

The cookbook came, too. I've been reading through it, and it looks like there are lots of great recipes! :cheer

I lost 2 more lbs.!!! :cheer

Today I hiked 7 3/4 miles - - my longest mileage yet! It started out as a gorgeous sunny day. Blues skies and a few whiffs of white clouds. Slightly cool, but I knew a short sleeved shirt and jeans would be warm enough and for the most part it was.

It was a very interesting and challenging section of the Appalachian Trail from Snickers Gap, VA to the Blackburn Trail Center (for those familiar with such things) which is called a roller coaster, and for good reason!

About halfway into the hike the skies clouded over and I heard some rumblings of thunder. A half hour later and I was pulling my emergency poncho on as it started to rain HARD. I was beginning to think, "these rain drops sure are big", when I realized it was hail. A few more minutes and the hail was the size of BBs.

The thunder was really loud and the hail lasted a full half hour. The trail turned into a small creek. But I just kept sloshing along. If I stopped I got too cold. My legs got pretty soaked, but I was pleased that my waterproof boots kept my feet dry. When I got back to the car a couple hours later, there was still some hail that hadn't melted yet.

Whew! What a day. I'm so glad to be home. I've had a nice hot shower and dinner is cooking....chicken/vegetable soup and green bean casserole.

Wow, its a good thing that you had that poncho with you. Just goes to show that it pays to be prepared.

Congrats on the weight loss.

I haven't exercised since the beginning of last week, because I've been sick. However, I did finish one of the two squares I am behind on for my afghan. I have just barely started the second one.

I'm finally down my first five pounds and have completed my first afghan square. I'll post a picture of it later today - hopefully I'll get the picture taken so I can! I just completed the square last night. I did find though that I will not have enough yarn and will need another 12 skeins of suede. Each square takes the better part of two skeins.

Here is my first weight loss square:

th_HPIM2812.jpg

It's the Crochet Dude's Monet pattern and I am using Lion Brand Suede for it. It is a very soft and cushy square :D This is about 15 inches square and I plan to make 12 squares (for 60 pounds). I hope to be able to make my second square soon!

Wow! I haven't been here for a while and it's encouraging to see how some people are doing so well and to also see those that aren't doing so well are still sticking with it. It is very helpful to me to see that! It lets me know that I am not alone. I haven't been doing any crocheting for over a month because I have been having some health issues that have been giving me so much pain in my arm that I can't crochet.:( BUT, I am going into the hospita on Tuesday and I will be having surgery on two disks in my neck that should relieve the pain and hopefully in a few more weeks I will be back to crocheting!

Keep up the good work everyone and I will be checking in to see how everyone is doing!

Renee