In your opinion....

Hi, I'm new here :waving and I'd like to know what others think of this. I thought this would look okay and dh thought so also. His mother had requested a beanie style hat since she liked the ones I made for my daughters. She wanted it done in black and I finally got around to making it--now it's her Christmas gift lol. I also made a scarf for her using the same shell pattern as the hat. The thing is, I made the scarf in purple, thinking the black and purple would look good together. Now I'm not so sure :think. Do they really have to be the same color?? I mean I know they don't, but she's definitely the type to say "I really would have liked a black scarf to go with my hat." Should I just move on and not worry about it?

:waving from arizona To me it would be fine,but if you have some of the black left or the purple either trim the hat with the purple or trim the scarf with the black.If you dont have enough left for that how about a flower made out purple for the hat or heart or some other motif.

I think the black and purple will be nice together. If you have used the same stitch it will look like a set. You could add a purple flower to the scarf and vice versa to the hat? Anyway she should appreciate the time you took over it, and be glad she has a on-off unique piece!

if you think she may like a matching set......... so to say.

I think the idea of trimming or adding a flower or something to each of the opposite color would work just fine!

:heart

:mug

I agree. Perfectly matching sets are kind of boring and fashion these days is about mixing textures, colors and patterns that are similar but not the same. Mixing the colors between the two pieces may help her get over the initial reaction.

Please don't take this negatively but I think if we go through the trouble of making something for someone else (and expect them to like it) we should take their preferences into account and not ours. I just wonder why if you knew beforehand how she would feel you still made it "your way"... If it were my MIL I simply would try to please her, its Christmas!

P.S. And :welcome

This is probably just my own experience talking but...

when you make a set in black -hat&scarf- they are dramatic and chic.

when you make a combo with purple and black, we are talking funeral. This goes back to the old tradition of wearing black for mourning and then working down to the purple colours to lessen the effect. I did wear purple to my husband's funeral and to this day, I am careful about the purples that I buy.

Aside: Purple and black is just so "goth" and goth = death so it isn't just us old-timers who make these connections. :eek

:rofl

My opinion: I would give the hat and the scarf as they are. I don't think adding decoration of the other color to either item would look all that great--just my opinion. If she opens the gift and says, oh I would like to have a black scarf to go w/ the hat, then make a black scarf and give it to her later. Or if you have time and materials make a black scarf now and give that to her for Christmas as well.

I understand making something for a gift and then second-guessing yourself about whether it turned out exactly as you envisioned it--I'm going through that now over some washcloths, of all things! but there is only so much time before Christmas so we have to stop and be satisfied at some point:hook

:waving from arizona To me it would be fine,but if you have some of the black left or the purple either trim the hat with the purple or trim the scarf with the black.If you dont have enough left for that how about a flower made out purple for the hat or heart or some other motif.

I agree!

I still don't know what to do....dh will throw a fit if he finds out there's going to be another trip to Michaels--he's out of work right now and I'm supposed to be saving us money by making gifts :P.

The reason I didn't make both items in black to begin with was because she has a black coat and I thought the purple would be a contrast whereas black would blend in. And purple is her favorite color.

I tried adding black on a bit of the scarf to see hat it looks like, but I took it back out. I think adding purple to the hat will look alright though. I know I'm completely over thinking this!

Thanks for the ideas!

Please don't take this negatively but I think if we go through the trouble of making something for someone else (and expect them to like it) we should take their preferences into account and not ours.

This is how I feel about things.

when you make a combo with purple and black, we are talking funeral. This goes back to the old tradition of wearing black for mourning and then working down to the purple colours to lessen the effect.
Aside: Purple and black is just so "goth" and goth = death so it isn't just us old-timers who make these connections.

I've never heard the purple thing regarding mourning.

It doesn't matter these days anyway as both colors are used for everything, not just goth or mourning. They're even used for weddings. My best friend used those colors and she's as far from goth as you can get.

I made her baby's blanket in purples.

Personally I'd make the scarf black. However you said you are tight on money so I'd do the trim on both pieces to make them go together.

Welcome to the board!

After reading your second post I would have to say that you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. The fact that purple is her favorite color makes it purfect. I'm glad you mentioned that the coat is black and that you chose purple to contrast with it. I would explain your reason for the color combo in relation to the coat after she opens her gift. The whole look sounds really nice.

As to looking goth as another person posted...there is a lot more to looking goth than wearing purple and black. IMHO I don't think that the color combo could be misconstrued into looking goth.

After reading that her coat is black; you've made a black hat and then you made a purple scarf ... I have to agree with you that the purple definitely becomes an accent. Maybe try putting some sort of flower, heart or some sort of embellishment. With money being a concern I don't think you should be going out just to match. Your DMIL should certainly be understanding. Hey; even if you just have a small amount of purple yarn you could make a little bit of fringe on the hat. HTH

Yes, the explanation in the second post completes the picture, since purple is her favorite color it's very likely she'll be happy with the set as it is because the scarf will stand out over the black coat. I also agree that you should not have to go and buy more yarn and I don't see anything wrong with putting a little purple trim in the hat if it's possible and you want to do that. My best wishes and please let us know what you decided to do. :)

With the info that her coat is black, I definitely think the black hat and purple scarf sound great. I still vote for no trim on the hat or scarf; I think it will look more sophisticated if each is a solid color.

P.S. Welcome to Crochetville:hook

I would leave it the way you have it! With purple being her fav color it will look really nice against her black coat and then the black hat will tie it all in. Black, purple, black. In hearing that her fav color is purple, I wouldn't even put any trim on either one. It sounds like a pretty combo. I voting to leave it a black hat and purple scarf with no trimming.

Don't get stressed! It's the holidays. If you see that she isn't wearing them together, then you can make her a black scarf and purple hat later. Relax :whewand start enjoying the holidays.:wreath

Hi, I'm new here :waving and I'd like to know what others think of this. I thought this would look okay and dh thought so also. His mother had requested a beanie style hat since she liked the ones I made for my daughters. She wanted it done in black and I finally got around to making it--now it's her Christmas gift lol. I also made a scarf for her using the same shell pattern as the hat. The thing is, I made the scarf in purple, thinking the black and purple would look good together. Now I'm not so sure :think. Do they really have to be the same color?? I mean I know they don't, but she's definitely the type to say "I really would have liked a black scarf to go with my hat." Should I just move on and not worry about it?

How about adding a row of trim to the hat in purple, and adding a row of trim to the scarf in black? That way they're more of a set instead of just a hat in one color and a scarf in another? It shouldn't take too long to do a crab stitch around the bottom of the beanie and a crab stitch around the scarf.

Archived