Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was it more than the five for the black columns?

I'm not 100% sure (boy how quickly the memory fails) but I'm almost certain that for the black columns, I always had five. I don't remember ever having more than 5 for the columns at any point.

Brenda it's hard to tell on mine but it looks like there was about 5 or 6 spaces between the two valleys once they were filled in.

Good Afternoon all you Cathedral Window enthusiasts!!! Could I join you also??? I have spent "several hours" reading posts from the beginning (2005) to today. I may have missed a few thousand posts in-between, but the enthusiasm has been strong since the beginning. I stayed up late last night and read/laughed and sighed at the pictures and problems and triumphs.

I feel like I am on a "Final Frontier" taking this on. This is the ultimate challenge!

I waited until this afternoon to order the pattern. I wanted to make SURE I really wanted to do this.

I am going to HL this Wednesday or Thursday and will hopefully find the "right" colors.

May I ask some questions?

Is the entire piece crocheted as smaller pieces and then sown together?

At some point do you crochet as a RR?

How does the ILTY work for those who used it in this pattern?

Any suggestions on a certain type of crochet hook? A larger handle, bamboo, aluminum, plastic??

I hope to find the yarn I pick on sale. It sounds like it could get spendy.

Each of you is an inspiration to some one like me.

Beam me up Scotty!

I used ILTY on one of them and really preferred it to the RHSS course I just love that yarn period. :lol

Based on all the 164+ pages of this thread and everyone saying how easy this one is...I ordered this pattern and the 6pt star rr pattern from Annie's Attic last night. Should I be laughing or crying yet? :lol:lol:lol

So for all of you experienced crocheters out there - never fear the questions will be flying if this is really a stinking hard pattern to follow! :hug

I don't think it was hard I really found it fun since every row was a little different and it didn't get too repeatative so I didn't get bored.

Just started mine last night. Hopefully will be able to finish it by Christmas as a surprise for my daughter. Have been "lurking" on this post for awhile to get my nerve up to try it. Will probably be asking for HELP along the way.

Join the row a day CAL with this and you'll get it done in about 113 days depending on how you break down the rows for the row a day :lol

I finally got a picture of my crw.

HPIM0191.jpg

Here is a close-up of the problem I am having. Every valley that I fill comes up to a different point. How frustrating!!

HPIM0192.jpg

Brenda

I really like your colors. I wish I could visualize what something would look like with different color combinations.

I got my yarn from Hobby Lobby on wednesday. I am using ILTY-Black, Peacock Ombre, Turquoise and Grape. I am just itching to get started. I received an e-mail from Annie's Attic on July 30 that my pattern was shipped Fedex. I really thought it would have been here today but I doubt it anymore. Does Fedex deliver on Saturdays? I was hoping to work on it this weekend. I will just keep working on my other projects I guess. :-(

Ya mine was shipped on the 30th too. Still not here. I have my colors but went way different then then most people.

I love your colors Brenda. Thinking I'll go with pinks for a second one if I live threw the first one. lol

Brenda, I love your colors. I'm not really sure why they are ending up at different points. Are the stitches from the previous row marked in the same spots? Was there a miscount anywhere?

christina~to my knowledge there is no miscounts in it and i didn't mark the previous row as i went. I have been counting and finding the right stitch each time. unless I am starting in the wrong st. I know when I am done the valley has the right amt of st in it.

Dorothy~very pretty!

Brenda and Dorothy, I love your colors!

Heather, leave it to you to say you want to do even more than you've already done! Heck, I finished mine in May and the thought of doing another is daunting -- and I only did one!

I have a question???? My mom is getting ready to start a CRW and I can't remember where in this tread it tells you how to do the triangles so you don't have to attach them... Does any one remember where it is or how to do it???? Thanks in advance.

Ok :lol I finally got some photos though I'm still not happy with them I've run out of ideas on where to get a good photo. I need Brenda's deck :lol

CRW 1

th_crochet471.jpg

CRW 2

th_crochet470.jpg

and both of them together in my front yard.

th_crochet473.jpg

I really enjoyed making these which is strange cause usually after making something so big I never want to make another one :lol I may one day make some more if the need ever comes up that is. Don't need them just hanging around the house :lol

Heather~they are both very pretty. Love the first one!! Your welcome to come use my deck for pictures anytime :) Although today would not be one of those nice sunny days for a good picture.

I have a question???? My mom is getting ready to start a CRW and I can't remember where in this tread it tells you how to do the triangles so you don't have to attach them... Does any one remember where it is or how to do it???? Thanks in advance.

http://www.precision-guesswork.com/cathedral-cal.html

From this very helpful site comes the following:

I followed rddugan's recommendation in Post #428:

Did anyone try crocheting around the first section with black rather than making and sewing all those triangles? I don't like to sew and tried this by following the pattern for the triangles backwards - crocheting right on to section one. I slip stitched in the extra stitch and did 2 sc instead of 2 dc on tips of the hexagons. It looks fine to me. Maybe my pentagons aren't as pointy as they should be. I'll have to post a picture to see what you think.

Here's how I did it. The "meat" of the triangles occurs in the second row, as it's written in the pattern: "sl st in first 3 ch, sc in next 2 ch, hdc in next 2 ch, dc in next 4 ch, hdc in next 2 ch, sc in next 2 ch, sl st in last 3 ch." This is the row that gets stitched to the outer edge of the pentagons. Once I had my pentagons sewn on, I attached my black yarn so that I could start following the pattern directions at the tip of the pentagon. Then the pattern instructions become:

Starting at the tip of one of the pentagons, sl st in first three stitches of edging; sc in next 2 stitches; hdc in next 2 stitches; dc in next 4 stitches; hdc in next 2 stitches; sc in next 2 stitches; 3 sl st to get to next pentagon tip. Repeat 7 times, join back with sl st in original tip of pentagon.

To verify that you're doing it right, you should have made the first 2 double crochets "in front of" the join between the two pentagons, and the second 2 double crochets after the join.

Once you've finished this round, do another round of single crochet all the way around. You should have 18 single crochets in every "segment" between the tip of one pentagon and the next.

I think my pattern is lost in the mail. They had to ship my two books I ordered separate for some reason and the one with this pattern in it shipped a day before the other part did. I got the other part but still don't have this pattern.

Hope it is not lost. Want to start this like last week.

Ok :lol I finally got some photos though I'm still not happy with them I've run out of ideas on where to get a good photo. I need Brenda's deck :lol

CRW 1

th_crochet471.jpg

CRW 2

th_crochet470.jpg

and both of them together in my front yard.

th_crochet473.jpg

I really enjoyed making these which is strange cause usually after making something so big I never want to make another one :lol I may one day make some more if the need ever comes up that is. Don't need them just hanging around the house :lol

WOW! Stunning!

Archived