Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did 4 sample swatches of the yarn colors in a window motif, then decided to use them in the afghan. Here's a progress picture./Users/Family/Pictures/iPhoto Library/Originals/2008/cathedral window_2/S7300294.JPG

seeing all these pretty pictures motivated me to pic mine up again and try to work out those valleys. I found one out of the four that I did that are right so now I have to fix the other three and do the rest. O what fun to fix mistakes!! I just keep telling myself that the rest should go fast and be easier.

Here is my progress so far. I just started the orange (you can see a tiny bit) and then I go back to blue. I am doing the small heptagons turquoise and the final half circle blue.

I think I should have used a smaller hook for filling in the valleys because my tension was looser on the back and forth rows than in the round but I'm hoping that it'll all blend in. Man, this sucker is huge!

I think it's about an hour per row now and I have 20+ rows left so it's gonna be a few more weeks. :cry

2947656064_8e5cd71c4c_m.jpg

Here is my progress so far. I just started the orange (you can see a tiny bit) and then I go back to blue. I am doing the small heptagons turquoise and the final half circle blue.

I think I should have used a smaller hook for filling in the valleys because my tension was looser on the back and forth rows than in the round but I'm hoping that it'll all blend in. Man, this sucker is huge!

I think it's about an hour per row now and I have 20+ rows left so it's gonna be a few more weeks. :cry

JulieY, all that looks great. You done a wonderful job so far. Keep us posted with more pictures as you crochet the rows.

Progress: I'm putting the half circles on the outer heptagons by putting a ring in the middle stitch, 7 dc in that, turn and 2 dc in each dc. I just like it better. I'm running out of black(!) so I might just do the edge in eggplant, necessity the mother of invention and all that. It measures 7'4 now.

Juliey~that looks wonderful! I wish I was that gutsy to alter the colors like that.

I don't think it's guts that make some of us changing colours and other things.

Maybe I'll speak for myself....

I can't help it. I get a gzillion ideas about colouring and sizing when I see a pattern like this.

When I eventually, finally will get around to doing it I might try making a shawl. Don't know how yet, but ideas about it come to me all the time while I do other things.

Now see I would say bacause of that you have way more talent than I have. I just seem to fallow the pattern which I know takes talent but not like what you can do.

Now see I would say bacause of that you have way more talent than I have. I just seem to fallow the pattern which I know takes talent but not like what you can do.

Hmmm.... this discussion could go on forever :think

To me it's not talent, just a brain that never seems to stop popping up ideas.

Having the patience to actually read through a pattern and following to the letter makes me envious

These are interesting points. Something like the difference between an artist and a craftsman. I like to think that I am both, an artist when I think up my own designs but also when I apply my own changes and color arrangements to an established pattern. But I also value my ability to be a good craftsman, I find satisfaction in my neat and orderly stitching (ha!) and ability to follow through on a plan. Both valid pursuits!

That said, I already see how I could have done better with my changes. I like the idea of using the rainbow of different stained-glass type colors, but I saw some variegated yarn, one in a red/yellow/orange and another in blues/greens, that I wish I had incorporated into my color scheme to break up the big areas of solids. So if I ever do this one again I am already working on it in my head!

I found my pattern!!!

:cheer:cheer:cheer

Wooo....Hooo......!!!

:yay:yay:yay

I lost it and have been looking for it for a couple months now. I found it in a pocket in my yarn tote that I don't remember ever using.

WOW love your colors you are doing makes it look 3d!

I found my pattern!!!

Wooo....Hooo......!!!

I lost it and have been looking for it for a couple months now. I found it in a pocket in my yarn tote that I don't remember ever using.

I love when that happens!

I found my pattern!!!

Wooo....Hooo......!!!

thats were it always seems to be when you can't find something :lol glad you found it:clap

I found my pattern!!!:cheer:cheer:cheer

Wooo....Hooo......!!!:yay:yay:yay

I bet your so glad you found it. I spent weeks looking for something and the day after I quit looking for it, it just seem to pop right out there.

CathedralWindowCALcolors.jpg

I posted this last year when I first started this pattern. I thought I'd repost it. I'm using Homespun in the colors above: Corinthian, top; from left - Cobalt, Golden, Grape. Here is what colors they are replacing:

Black - Grape

Gemstone - Cobalt

Amethyst - Corinthian

Real Teal - Golden

I've made the center Octagon, attached all eight Pentagons and am working on the Triangles now. I'm using an L hook and since homespun is bulkier, I'm cutting out some of the rows so it's not too big. I'm making notes as I go. I had to totally redesign the triangles so they'd fit. This is definitely not something a beginner wants to do. But if you are experienced enough, this homespun is so soft and beautiful!

Archived