Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

Racoon~you just finished filling in the valleys? The light bulb just went on in my head (I'm a little slow:)) That is were I am stuck. How many stitches did you have between each valley after it was filled it? Each of mine keep coming out different.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that's what I liked most about this pattern is by the time you'd get tired of going round and round you'd have something different to do for a bit and by the time you got tired of that you'd be going around again. Nice to mix it up abit. :D

When I wrote previously, I was picturing other people taking around 10 minutes on the valleys. It just seemed to take a long time. Then when I finished, after all that careful counting the valleys were not all alike.

So at the worst, at the top of the hill I only had 3 black, and on the other extreme at the top of the hill I had 14 (?) black. So when I started going around, I just made sure the 5 black were in the middle of the hill, and put 12 gemstone on either side.

There is one valley where the middle black column isn't centered, but not being a perfectionist, I'm letting it be.

Yes, the variety of patterns in this piece does really help make it do-able. The ''ooos and ahhhhs'' of other people help, too.:D

I was having a problem with the valleys as well. What I found helped a lot, was to mark the slip stitches on both ends. That helps you to be able to see on the round if you are off immediately. Also, after a certain point, there are always 5 black stitches, with one dc on either side and then a decrease. There is always a hdc in the slip stitch, so its just a matter of filling in the rest with dc.

I also kept in the stitch markersl so I could see them as a reference point on the next round. I put it down for a while after the valleys, so we will see later if that helps.

Hope that helps.

Sassykat, great idea--its going in my notes.

I was doing some maternity tops for my daughter but am back to doing the rounds. I'm on the black round(12) --what a breeze.

ok, I'm starting the second row past the puff stitches, but am already dreading the pyramids ahead. One person said they slip stitched instead of snipping, but I'm having a hard time picturing how to do that, carrying along the black and all... All those ends! But I keep thinking "The end is near." It is closer to being finished with every stitch.

I started yesterday! 2 strands on a G hook was quite a feat! So thick, but I can see how the puffy effect will look nice. I am still not sure about my colors, I am doing solids in a kind of rainbow look. I was inspired by the Stained Glass Afghan square in HSeger's avatar. Thanks! So I am starting with blue, turquoise and on from there.

I did the black triangles all in one piece, thanks to whoever came up with that great tip. I am just starting the second part where you alternate the black. I had no idea that was how it was done. LOL. I can kind of see the bright yarn showing through the black. I haven't heard anyone mention that.

And now I am having second thoughts about solids since I saw the pictures of the Notre Dame Cathedral window that it was modeled after and I can see why the designer chose the pink/purple toned variegated. Oh well, next one!2906806435_0d0a8106fc_m.jpg

Julie I love those colors! I could kind of see the brighter colors through the black too. I just tried to pull them behind the stitch as much as possible so it didn't show them that much.

Raccoon, I am almost up to that part so I am going to try it your way!

I had to rip out 4 rows including the row of puff stitches because I used a color in Lion Brand Pound of Love and it was just too thin to fit in with the Red Heart SS. I could really see the black showing through and I wasn't happy with it.

Ok I am dropping from this CAL. Life is way to short to work on a project that is this hard to read.

I have a stun burst pattern I have had a while but no yarn I really like to try it with. Kind of like a round ripple but not. lol If you know what I mean.

Anyways good luck gang I well be looking at your stuff from time to time but just to lazy to do this. /hehe

ok, I'm on the 3rd section, rnd 22, and now I'm snipping the "gemstone," but continuing up with the black to make the column, then cutting the black at the top of the column. Its just one less snip to do, and it seems faster.

Julie, you are quick! Do you have another, thicker yarn to use?

Angie, thats totally understandable. I'm so looking forward to doing a bunch of little, quick things. Hope you enjoy your new project.

Raccoon, yes, I found the color I needed in Red Heart .

Yours is beautiful! I am wrong, I am not up to the part you are. I am only getting to the first section of heptagons. I did alot last night watching the debate! I finished all the columns and I had done the heptagons as a portable project so I just have to edge the heptagons in black and then join them and I will post a picture. I have only used a little over a skein of black and I can't believe there are 5 more skeins to go!

2923829705_99d91620c0_m.jpg

Raccoon, your ghan looks amazing. I just love the center of it.

Juliey, the color selection on yours is beautiful. Can't wait to see it finished.

Unfortunatetly I had to put mine down for a while to work on a few baby items (including a blanket that may just kill me), for my boss. LOL

I have a question about Third Section, Round 3. This is right after your round of 16 heptagons and 16 half circles. The Round 3 instructions have you doing sc up one side of heptagon, sc across half circle, then HDC down the other side of heptagon. I followed it thinking maybe the difference in height of the stitches would be made up on subsequent rows but it isn't. Any advice?

I did it just by the directions, and it turned out fine. I think it has something to do with the way it lays. I am almost to the last heptagons and don't think I will ever get done. Will post a picture when I finish.

Charlotte

Archived