I have no idea what I'm doing wrong......

picture? or more details? what pattern are you using? I know some look like a circle in the beginning, but with additional rows the shape changes a bit

Photo, step by step instructions

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/granny_square.htm

Also here's a good photo of a granny square that might help (instructions included on the site) this is in different colors for each round of the squaer, which might help.

http://www.jpfun.com/patterns/free/granny_squares/f101001basicgranny.shtml

Also check out this youtube video with one color. She ends it the same way I do, with a ch 1 and sc at the end and starts a new row in the corner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDEoLWcEEvQ

here's one for a granny square bag with multi colors (second row)

(if you want to see all the ones for the bag it's right here

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=multi+color+granny+square&search_type=&aq=f )

Debbi

Your corners should be three double crochets, three chains, three double crochets in the space. You don't actually crochet in the double crochets of the previous round if you are making a standard granny square. Your first round was fine, you started going wrong in the second round.

You aren't making any corners. Also the clusters of 3 dc should only be made in a space. There are several ways to make a granny square. One way is after you do the first round of 4 clusters, you join with a slip stitch to the top of the first ch 3, then slip stitch across the top of the dc's until you get to the chain 2 space. Then ch 3 and make 2 dc, ch 2 and make a cluster of 3 dc in the same space. Ch 1 and make a cluster of 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc in the next space and continue around. You will have made 4 corners. Then again join with a slip stitch on top of the ch 3, slip stitch to the next space. Ch 3, 2 dc.. You will continue in this manner with 2 clusters of 3 dc separated with 2 chains in each corner, when it is not a corner you will make a cluster of 3 dc between the the 2 clusters of the previous round separated with a ch1.

Another way is when you join the first round with a slip stitch, you chain 3 and turn, make 2 dc in the the ch2 space and here again you create corners by doing 3dc, ch 2 3 dc in each corner. and ch 1, 3 dc ch 1 between the clusters from the previous round. At the end of the round, join, ch 3, 2 dc and continue in this fashion.

You can also goggle granny square directions and you will get directions and illustrations as well. I hope I explained it well enough.

Yup, yup, what everybody else is saying. There are no corners. Your first round was fine because there aren't supposed to be corners in that one, it was the second round where you hit a problem and the second round is where you start to make the corners. When you look at some of the links that Debbi left concentrate on the parts where it says you are making a corner. Corners are, as everyone else said, 3dc, ch3, 3dc. As you go round and round making a granny square, you come to the ch3 that you made in your previous round, and that's where you'll be doing the new corner, right in the ch3 of the previous corner. :hook

PB050005.jpg

How does it look to you guys? To me just doesn't look like a square. I'd really like to make an afghan eventually! I'm using my scraps to practice the grannys.

Your problem is that you haven't made any corners. I had a lot of trouble getting my grannies to have sharp corners, too, when I first started crocheting, so I made a change to the basic granny pattern and they started coming out a lot better. I only chain 1 in between my dc groups, and I only ch 2 at the corners. This makes the corners a lot tighter and my squares come out a lot neater than they used to. I used to feel they looked sloppy. When other people ch 2 in between the dc groups and ch 3 at the corners their squares come out perfectly, but not me for some reason, so that one little change helped me a LOT!

To clarify what Jean said, row 1's chain spaces should be ALL corners, which yours appear to be. Maybe it would help you, until you get the hang of it, to put a stitch marker in the corners to remind you to do a corner in the next row?

Also, it appears from the photo that you are making some 3-dc blocks on top of other blocks. They should only be made in chain spaces.

Keep practicing! I wish I had the 'ville to help me back in the olden days when I learned to crochet. I'm still learning new tricks :yes

Also...it looks like you are putting a ch 3 in between each 3 dc cluster, which will increase you too fast and round out your design; try a ch 1 instead, except between the 3 dc clusters at the corners. Take this into consideration with the other advice about the corners and you should be able to make a great granny square! :clap

Archived