Snowtime like the present to crochet CAL

darski

Deb what treee skirt are you doing? Is there a pttern? I am trying to make one up, since I kept starting patterns I saw online, and didn't like them. :(

I sent you a PM cuz' I thought it would be quicker but then thought I would also post. The tree skirt is a free pattern from Michaels using Simply Soft yarn. It is really turning out beautifully! I should finish it by the weekend (I hope) then I can start snowmen!!!

What if you just used a bigger hook? Wouldn't the candy dish be bigger then?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I sent you a PM cuz' I thought it would be quicker but then thought I would also post. The tree skirt is a free pattern from Michaels using Simply Soft yarn. It is really turning out beautifully! I should finish it by the weekend (I hope) then I can start snowmen!!!

What if you just used a bigger hook? Wouldn't the candy dish be bigger then?

OH there tree skirts are really pretty!! Which one are you doing? I hope that you post it when you are done!

That is an adorable snowman! I was on that site earlier and didn't see it so thank you for posting the link. My tree skirt is so close to being done that I can almost smell the pine needles! :lol All I have left is the tie to put on...I stayed up late last night tucking in all my ends. It really is pretty ~ I think so anyways ~ and it was such an easy pattern! I can't remember the exact name of the pattern but if you go to the Michaels web site, it is the second tree skirt free crochet pattern. There are only 2 listed (I believe). I will post pictures here as soon as I'm done. Then I can start the snowmen! Woo Hoo!

I'm coming along nicely on the snowman candy dish. I decided to make it larger right away after making the original base & seeing how small it was. I started again & went up to an H hook & added 2 increase rows to the base & start of the basket. Then added another 2 rows to the height (before it "flutes out").

To better describe my enlargement process, I needed to put a plastic blue bonnet margarine bowl in it when I was ready to stuff the sides. I like the margarine bowl in it & may leave it in lol It makes the inside look nice.

I joined the sides to the bottom & need to make the other pieces now. I hope to finish it today but if not, then tomorrow. This would make a great teacher gift filled with candy! I'll post a pic once I am done.

I'm coming along nicely on the snowman candy dish. I decided to make it larger right away after making the original base & seeing how small it was. I started again & went up to an H hook & added 2 increase rows to the base & start of the basket. Then added another 2 rows to the height (before it "flutes out").

To better describe my enlargement process, I needed to put a plastic blue bonnet margarine bowl in it when I was ready to stuff the sides. I like the margarine bowl in it & may leave it in lol It makes the inside look nice.

I joined the sides to the bottom & need to make the other pieces now. I hope to finish it today but if not, then tomorrow. This would make a great teacher gift filled with candy! I'll post a pic once I am done.

Thats a good idea!!!

Can you write down how you made it bigger? I started mine last night and it is really small! I am using an H hook but I didn't increase stitches or anything.

I finished my tree skirt and will post the pictures sometime this weekend.

I printed off this pattern to make for my new secret pal. I still have a seraphina to finish for my old secret pal first though. I'm going to be following this cal until I can get started. It sounds like it's a pretty easy pattern.

The one thing I don't understand though is when you put the coke can in and add stuffing then remove the coke can doesn't the stuffing start coming back out the top?

I just peeked into this CAL the other day to see what projects everyone has on-tap, and I loved the Snowman Candy Basket on-sight. I started it this morning, and, I agree, it is tiny. I am continuing with it, but the next one I make, I am temped to "up" my hook size to a K and increase the number of rounds at the base and the top of the basket (I am not a pattern designer, so it will take me some figuring to get the stitch counts to work out, but I will think on it :think) to reach 48 or 50 stitches.

As for the stuffing issue ~ I thought and thought on this, and read further on in the pattern. The way I think it works, is that I curl/fold the top 17 rows downward, as we are going to sc the top edge to the underside of the base (remember when we stitched the base to the basket by sc in the front loops only of the Base?) by connecting those "loose" back stitches to the open edges. Boy, I apologize for that confusing explanation!! That did not help you one whit, did it?!? The soda can is on the inside of the basket, there is a layer of basket, a layer of stuffing, and then another layer of basket, when all is said-and-done. Help :think:think I know what I am trying to say, but the more I type, the worse my explanation is sounding. I will try and finish my basket in the next day and then do a better job of explaining my method of assembly.

I simply adore snowmen and winter decorating, so I hope I can figure this little guy out, before it is time to start using him around the house and for gift-giving.

so really using the bowl you wouldnt have to stuff it right?:thinkalso this is what I might do then you can cover the top if want to use that christmas hard candy in it!:lol yummy

You would not "have" to stuff it, but it looks a little slender. I started attaching the sides to the bottom, stuffed in a bit of poly fiberfill, stitched a bit more, and continued on in this way, so that it did not all squish out before I could finish joining. I like the Blue Bonnet liner idea, thanks!

Hello, I've been lurking :lurk

I made a pumpkin candy dish last year after reading some similar patterns to this snowman dish, but tinkered with it a bit. I reinforced the center with plastic canvas; a chunky soup can fit inside perfectly, so it was a generous candy dish size.

post-13625-135897406965_thumb.jpg

The liner part of the basket (through row 17 of snowman pattern) is straight up and down, the face part of the basket (18-34) is wider than the inner part.

Where I was going with all this -- I would think if you didn't stuff it, if the butter dish fit the tighter liner, the wider face would sag. It doesn't take much stuffing, just enough to fill out his cheeks. :hook

Yes I think it looks a lot better stuffed, to round the snowman's head. I wasn't able to get time to work on it yesterday but hope to after church today. I will write down what I did. I hope to make a second one & if I do, I'll add 4 or 5 more rows at the top instead of 2. It looks good now but would look better if he was a little taller. The width is perfect but needs more height. I have a short chubby snowman hehe

I will write down what I did & try to post it this evening or tomorrow.

Oh as far as the stuffing goes, it slips in from the bottom. The bowl has an inside wall going straight up & then an outside wall (his face) going down the outside & the stuffing goes in between the two. Then you crochet the outside to the free loops on the bottom of the bowl to close the head up. The plastic bowl or can keeps the inside round while you stuff it. You can remove the lining item but I think I'm keeping the margarine bowl in it to hold the candy. This will make fun gifts for Christmas.

i really messed mine up by getting too many stitches... not sure how I did that but I have to rip it back to make it work out.

I think I may move on to try the scarf first and then come back to the basket. I really like this little guy but I need to make something rather than just rip something :wlol

Granny Square, I love that pumpkin bowl. I don't do jack-o-lanterns but that pattern would be neat as a bunch of plain pumpkins on a table.

Archived