Pattern Kits: What should they include?

What do you expect from a pattern kit?  

91 members have voted

1. 1. What do you expect from a pattern kit?

• Just the yarn and instructions
    • Yarn, hook, instructions
    • Yarn, hook, embellishments and instructions
    • Yarn, hook, embellishments, instructions, yarn needles, scissors, etc.

I was wondering how others felt about this convenience. I'm of the opinion that a kit should include whatever materials needed to make the item, i.e yarn and embellishments(buttons, paillettes, etc) I don't however think it's necessary to include common everyday items like scissors, thread needles or even hooksthat most crocheters already have.

What brings me to ask this question is I wanted to purchase the kit to a scarf that's in the Nov./Dec. issue of Crochet Today and they(www.yarncollection.com) are not including the paillettes in the kit nor offering it as an option to purchase. For me, that's the purpose of purchasing a kit and ordering it online.

I agree--yarn and the embellishments should be included in a kit, otherwise it's really not a kit! I don't think that including a hook is necessary, but it's a plus.

Froggie (aka Jana in Denton, TX)

I voted for number one, but I do think the embellishments should be included, but not the hook, scissors, etc.

I've ordered a lot of counted cross stitch kits and they always include the embellishments. (beads, charms, etc.)

I chose the yarn and instructions option because I don't think the hook, scissors should be there either; however, if there are things like sequins, paillettes, gems, appliques, ribbons, etc., those items should come with the kit. Like Karen C wrote, I agree. WHat would be the point of having a kit to make the identical item unless the identical supplies were included?

I think my preference on embellishments depends on the item. For instance, baby items with cute little buttons and ribbons I'd prefer included. Adult items, I usually don't care for the embellishments. Of course, that said, it's better to have them and not use them than not have them. Also depends on how much embellishments add to the cost of the item.

I like everything included. This way, you can start on the project right away, without having to look for a hook, embellishments and other things that go with it.

One thing I have noticed with some kits is that the hook they enclose is not always the best quality, therefore, I do use my own. Just a little pet peeve I have with kits. But I do like the convenience of having everything together and I can start right away.

:manyheart

Actually, I don't care if there's a hook or not because usually I have to use a different size anyway. I would love to just get what the pattern is asking for in the materials list if it's a kit.

By the way, I did write to yarn collection about my concern and they emailed me back a few hours later without giving me an answer to my specific question; just something along the lines of thank you for your suggestion and they strive to make their customers happy. :(

Most definitely, yarn, embellishments, and instructions. I would not buy it otherwise. As long as they're making you hunt down the embellishments, you might as well hunt down the yarn and pattern on your own. Going yarn shopping and petting is so much fun! :hook

I think that everything except your basic tools should be included. I think that an option for a beginner would be to add-on the hook, scissors, yarn needle, etc. However, embellishments that are specific to that pattern should be included.

When I was a teenager and young adult, I did plastic canvas needlepoint. I LOVED the kits that Herschners and other companies would offer, and I ordered them frequently. They always included embellishments that I recall. However, they would also include a yarn needle. I had one that was my favorite that I used exclusively. (In fact, I still have it and use it for weaving in ends.) The needles that were in the kits were smaller and sharper than the one that I used, so I never even opened the packages. I always thought it was a waste. The funny thing is that because of my OCD, I could never bring myself to get rid of any of them. I'm sure that I have about 2 dozen or so packed away with all of my odd pieces of plastic canvas. :lol

• 4 weeks later...

I didn't vote, cause there was not a catagory that I thought was right.

I think Yarn, insturctions and emblishments should be included.

Truthfully, except for learning how to Crochet or Knit, hooks and needles do not need to be included.

The emblishments are usually the hardest to find, I know, I have tried.:hook

I voted for Yarn, hook, embellishments and instructions

simply because that was as close as I could find one for me.

I think the kit should include what is needed to finish the project.

Hook is optional since my guage is usually off and so I change hook sizes and if the kit didn't come with enough extra yarn, I'd be in trouble.

If it called for a special cut on the embellishments, like felt cut with a zig zag cut, then I would need the scissors, I don't own a pair like that.

Or if the kit wanted you to use a special needle, then that would be needed too. I have some needles, but there are some other types out there I do not have.

Maybe I should have choose 4.:)

I think, if it's a kit for something that somebody who already knows how to crochet or knit can do, then just the yarn and instructions, but if it's a simple pattern for a beginner, then it should include everything.

I voted yarn, hook and instructions. For me the embellishments are what makes the item more personal. Because I sew and do scrapbooking, I have a stash of embellishments and wouldn't have to hunt for any.

Normally I wouldn't think a hook is important (at least not for me) but there are folks out there who wouldn't have sets of hooks on hand. And beginners need that kind of stuff.

Also manufacturers are not going to make seperate sets of the same thing, so it is easier to just throw a hook in to all of them.

I think my preference on embellishments depends on the item. For instance, baby items with cute little buttons and ribbons I'd prefer included. Adult items, I usually don't care for the embellishments. Of course, that said, it's better to have them and not use them than not have them. Also depends on how much embellishments add to the cost of the item.

I agree. For adult kits, the tastes of individuals vary so wildly that embellishments can be totally different from one person to the next, but I think it's better to include whichever embellishments are shown on the sample, and then if the person making it wants to buy others because of the tastes of the person they're making it for, that's up to them. We don't all live in close proximity to stores that sell a large variety of embellishments, so if I buy a kit to make something, I want everything needed to make an exact replica of the model included in that kit. I think it's a nice idea to include a hook, but not an absolute necessity. Scissors are something that everyone who does crafts has, or should have, so they're not necessary. When you buy a counted cross stitch kit, most of them come with a needle, so a hook would be a nice addition, but again, unless it's an odd size that not everyone might have, it's not a necessity.

I voted for yarn and instructions. I think if the embellishments are unusual or important to the pattern (ie for it to look right you need buttons ect that you can't easily find) they should also be included. It would be nice to have hooks, scissors, ect as well, but I think that could raise the price and not be worthwhile since most people will already have those things. Anything sold as "learn to crochet" or "beginner" should include hooks, since a beginner is less likely to have them and may be intimidated when trying to purchase them.

Archived