thick or thin yarn

wonder what people prefer, we in uk use and have a lot of thinner yarn, and personally like it , i noticed that in usa could only find minimal amount of thinner yarn with number 1 one on label, quite a few with 3 on label and heaps with 4 on label, so do you use 1 3 or 4 mostly and would you like to see more thinner yarns

I mostly use 3's and 4's in my work. 3's for some baby stuff, and 4's for blankets, baby blankets, and other things.

I live in Northern Illinois where it gets very cold in the winter and we need warm blankets.

:manyheart

A lot of my current projects call for 3 or 4 (mostly 4) I would like to be able to find more fingering (1) and true baby weight (2) yarn. If it also came in more colors, even better! My doll clothes patterns call for baby yarn, and I'm finding that some yarns that are called baby are actually sport weight. It's very frustrating!

True, there's not a lot of #2 weight yarn to choose from. RH Luster Sheen is the only one I can think of off the top of my head and that's not exactly a baby-type yarn. I wish there was a little more consistency in what they call yarns (i.e., baby, sport, etc.). You never know what they mean until you buy a yarn and check gauge.

I find myself working with #3&4 yarn most often because that's what patterns call for. If more patterns called for 1 or 2 yarn and I liked the pattern and had a need for the item, I'd use it. I think it would depend more on the pattern than on the yarn it called for. If I really liked the pattern I'd try it, even in thinner yarn, if I could get it.

craw thats the problem, i would love to do more patterns for yarns 1 and 2 intricate , but you cant get the yarn in usa, i have just done a pattern for a dress in 1 (not complete totally yet)\but when over in usa realised you dont have much chioce in that, and i never found a 2 yarn anywhere, i even asked the assistants in joann and she couldnt help, the other thing is lion brand dont have the numbers on the yarn at all, so never bought any of theres

I use a lot of number 2, sock yarn. I like to knit doll clothes with it. I've also used 2 skeins together for crocheted hats/scarves and such. Yes, I woud like to see more variety in finer yarns. My mantra, tho, is "worsted and a G" so I think I am partial to that combination for crocheting, unless I'm going in the thread direction.

Caron used to make a yarn called Cuddlesoft, a #2 yarn, but that was discontinued a few years ago. You're right, most stores don't even carry the RH Luster Sheen, the only #2 yarn I can think of. Peaches & Creme might have a comparable #2 weight in all cotton. I'm not really familiar with all they offer because I've only seen their #4 yarn in stores. For #1 yarn I know of Bernat Baby and sock yarns and I've seen those in stores. You're right, there's not much for us to choose from in the thinner yarns.

I'm also in UK and will work happily with anything from 4ply to chunky. I mostly use 4ply, dk and aran. I've never worked with thread.

I always enjoy your patterns and I love that you do them in 4ply as so many UK designers stick to dk for everything and I find that too chunky for baby items. I prefer to work with USA terminology, but find a lot of USA patterns call for worsted weight which IMO is far too chunky for baby items.

I agree, I wish thinner yarns were more available in more color options here. It seems that if you can find anything below #4 worsted weight all you can get are baby colors or sock-stripes.

I agree with Laura, I think #4 worsted, especially the bargain brands, is too chunky for adult wearables as well (except maybe hats). About as drapey as chain mail :(

knit happens does the numer 2 you use have a 2 on it , its just mydaughter is going over soon, and is bringing some more yarn back, and she can get some

Yes, it has the number 2 in the box on it...try some internet sites...I bought a whole lot of Bernat Sox yarn when it was discontinued. Sock yarn is just wonderful for doll clothing, and some of the self-striping types is gorgeous.

For most of my crochet life I have been a devotee of 4-ply knitting worsted, but in the last year I have really taken a liking to sport weight. I now prefer to work with a lightweight cotton or size 10 thread. Even for afghans I'm leaning toward sport weight, because the winters are so mild here that it's not necessary to have bulky afghans for warmth, but it's still nice to have a homemade blanket to cuddle under and I think the apartment looks cozier with homemade afghans hanging around on the couch and chairs.

My only complaint, if you want to call it a complaint, is that the lightweight yarns don't come in nearly the rainbow of colors tha the worsted weight yarns do, so depending on what colors I want to work in, sometimes I have to use the worsted weight. It's not that I dislike the worsted weight, it's just that in this part of the country the lightweight yarns are more practical.

#1 yarn is readily available here, but only in baby colors. Bernat Baby in fingering weight is sold in just about every Walmart store. It is usually only a bit over $2.00 per skein. I prefer working with the thinner weight yarns as it gives the garment a much nicer appearance.

I use mostly size 4 yarn, although I have some shawls and afghans that are size 5. I like lionbrand Homespun for warm winter things and that is a 5.

I prefer thick, but that's just because I'm lazy and don't like to take forever on projects (I get bored). However, I do love the results from thinner yarn. More intricate/delicate.

Call me a loose hooker,:D but I'll use just about anything, depending on what it's for.

I tend to stay away from the chunky yarns because I crochet loosely, so I usually use a hook size smaller than the pattern calls for, so I don't use my big hooks much at all.

Anywhere from a d to an h hook is generally what I use, so I tend to use lighter weight yarns.

Archived